PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yeah, I was just referring to systems.

neosd

Neosd Developer
The RetroRGB/Voultar/db crew is really fucking annoying. That show they do together is awful. They're talking about fucking video games but act like they're curing cancer.

I think this yotube phenomenon is taking out a lot of tards under the rocks.

I mean, i am not talking specifically about RetroRGB but i see so many people on youtube that couldn´t even tie the laces alone, thiking they are top guys.

Most of those can´t even make a proper video recording. You can easy spot a guy that does a proper recording and a proper editing from others that just say stupid things in a camera with 0 effort.

Every teen now thinks he is going to be a superstar uploading shit there. Mosf of those dosen´t even knows what working hard is.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I mean, i am not talking specifically about RetroRGB but i see so many people on youtube that couldn´t even tie the laces alone, thiking they are top guys.

TopMen.gif

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I think this yotube phenomenon is taking out a lot of tards under the rocks.

Every teen now thinks he is going to be a superstar uploading shit there. Mosf of those dosen´t even knows what working hard is.

Teens (and some grown ups) use to say they would be in the NFL or NBA, now they think they are going to be YouTube stars.

What a joke, especially when they are full of shit.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
How can the dude have any clue about the brightness that the SD3 has without knowing what kind of RGB amp they use? If they don't have the product in their hands testing it they need to shut the fuck up.

I've modded a ton of PCEs. So has Yodd. We'll let you know how it looks when we get ours.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
We're still talking about this RGB cable nonsense!?

The product hasn't even shipped yet. Out of all the RGB cable makers, I'm positive at least one has ordered a Super System 3. I'm sure those distributors are reading over these Super System 3 threads right now salivating at the thought a new RGB cable may need to be developed so they can push more product.

A solution will present its self shortly after there is a need for the cable. Just give it a few months and then speculate about this. Contact them or something and tell them about the Super System 3 if you all are that worried, but I'm sure a solution will materialize early 2018 if the Super System 3 ships as planned.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
There is a very technical thread going on over on the shmups forum, that Neodev is participating in, where they are talking about this "issue". Tim Worthington has a solution that he has presented:

"Neodev,

I recommend you have your contract manufacturer replace each 75 ohm series resistor on your amplifier with a 22 ohm resistor, if possible. This will solve both your problems (cable compatibility and amplifier attenuation) at once. It does increase the total output impedance to 96 ohms (75 in cable + 22 on board), but that shouldn't have an adverse effect on the video quality."

Tim knows his stuff, so maybe our RGB nightmare is at at end if Terra Onion can implement it. I guess this would mean taking out the 0 ohm resistors on the SSDS3 and putting in 22 ohm resistors on the board side and leave the MD2 standard cables as-is.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
There is a very technical thread going on over on the shmups forum, that Neodev is participating in, where they are talking about this "issue". Tim Worthington has a solution that he has presented:

"Neodev,

I recommend you have your contract manufacturer replace each 75 ohm series resistor on your amplifier with a 22 ohm resistor, if possible. This will solve both your problems (cable compatibility and amplifier attenuation) at once. It does increase the total output impedance to 96 ohms (75 in cable + 22 on board), but that shouldn't have an adverse effect on the video quality."

Tim knows his stuff, so maybe our RGB nightmare is at at end if Terra Onion can implement it. I guess this would mean taking out the 0 ohm resistors on the SSDS3 and putting in 22 ohm resistors on the board side and leave the MD2 standard cables as-is.

Yes, that was one of the solutions I proposed (with 21ohm instead, but 22 seems better, and is also a standard value), that means, we will bridge the capacitors, and then replace the 75 ohm with 22, so it works with a standard MD2 cable, and also attenuates the output to normal video levels. We still need to make more tests, as adding that resistor causes impedance mismatch.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Yes, that was one of the solutions I proposed (with 21ohm instead, but 22 seems better, and is also a standard value), that means, we will bridge the capacitors, and then replace the 75 ohm with 22, so it works with a standard MD2 cable, and also attenuates the output to normal video levels. We still need to make more tests, as adding that resistor causes impedance mismatch.

Sounds good. Thanks for being so awesome dealing with us having continued dialogue on the project. I can't wait to get my hands on one. :)

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The RetroRGB/Voultar/db crew is really fucking annoying. That show they do together is awful. They're talking about fucking video games but act like they're curing cancer.
[emoji23]🤣

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Here's my 2 cents on the RGB talk.

I've never done any RGB because my Sony WEGA has S-Video and Component, but it recently died :-(

Also, since the Super SD has an RGB output, I now have to make that move. I'm buying an OSSC on Friday, and since I'm making this move for the Super SD, I figure that I may as well do so for some other consoles that I own as well (I own 68 consoles, so...)

Also, I like to be prepared, and it'll be beneficial to my excitement to have a compatible cable and the OSSC by the time the Super SD arrives. I really don't want to wait until the device arrives before I figure my cabling solution out.

So maybe cut-down on the hostility. There are people like me that try to do the research because I've never dabbled in RGB tech before.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
The OSSC is a great device! Just watch out for the compatibility issues.

In regards to still using a CRT: You should consider a set of Sega Genesis component cables from HD Retrovision. I have several of them for various consoles, and they work great for getting component into my CRTs. They're sold out right now, but there's another production run coming up.

Last edited:

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The OSSC is a great device! Just watch out for the compatibility issues.

In regards to still using a CRT: You should consider a set of Sega Genesis component cables from HD Retrovision. I have several of them for various consoles, and they work great for getting component into my CRTs. They're sold out right now, but there's another production run coming up.

Compatibility issues? What type?

re: CRT
If I could get the WEGA fixed, I totally would, but I doubt that's a possibility any more :-( I plan to stream/record video anyway, so the OSSC is happening no matter what though.

X68

n00b
When will the tools be available to create preview tiles etc pls?

neosd

Neosd Developer
When will the tools be available to create preview tiles etc pls?

Good question, i have to ask neodev.

Tools are ready but GadgetUK told us that the tool was crashing on his computer. We didn´t had this issue here, and i was working on other things so i don´t really know if this issue was replicated/solved

mistahsnart

New Challenger
Compatibility issues? What type?
Since the OSSC runs without a framebuffer, it passes the odd timings and quirks that older consoles put out straight to your display. The compatibility comes in on a display-by-display basis. Some work great, some don't. Good place to start with your research is here.

I'm not trying to deter you, as it's a great product. Just be mindful that it has quirks, and in some cases, just won't work with a given display.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Good question, i have to ask neodev.

Tools are ready but GadgetUK told us that the tool was crashing on his computer. We didn´t had this issue here, and i was working on other things so i don´t really know if this issue was replicated/solved

The tools are almost ready, just that issue that gadgetuk had when scanning some cdroms. I need to send him a build that logs the errors instead of crashing :)
Also I've been trying to make it work on linux and mac. So far the command line conversion works but the UI isn't. It's a plain .NET application, this time there are not weird VC++ runtime requirements, just the standard .net (or mono for mac and linux)

sparksterz

Camel Slug
So when ordering a Genesis 2 cable , it looks like there is a composite video version and a csync version. Not sure what the difference on these two is internally, any one we should lean towards?

https://retro-access.com/collection...-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version

https://retro-access.com/collection...-rgb-scart-cable-composite-video-sync-version

In the first post on that thread:
It also outputs TTL level csync (negative hsync & vsync)

So, go csync.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That doesn't really answer his question though as the cables will be pulling sync from different pins. If you want to be safe the composite sync cable would definitely work since NeoSD has stated that Genesis composite cables will work, but TO would have to answer if they also have csync going to the other pin.

32xpin.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
In the first post on that thread:

So, go csync.

That doesn't really answer his question though as the cables will be pulling sync from different pins. If you want to be safe the composite sync cable would definitely work since NeoSD has stated that Genesis composite cables will work, but TO would have to answer if they also have csync going to the other pin.

32xpin.jpg
Yup, wasnt sure what the difference in wiring is, I would prefer to use a csync cable if possible (not a big deal either way).

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Pictures of the Retro Access Csync cable for neosd:

cab1.jpg

cab2.jpg

cab3.jpg

Best I could do :conf: Let me know if you need a better shot.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, I tried to. It's taped and stuck really good... won't peel off. I'd have to cut it.