How many times have you purchased Street Fighter 2?

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
All the money Capcom has received from the gaming community...and they still want to nickel and dime us to death with SFV.
SMH

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
All the money Capcom has received from the gaming community...and they still want to nickel and dime us to death with SFV.
SMH

As opposed to who? Namco ($35 season pass for Dragon Ball Z and $30 for jackshit in Tekken 7)? Netherrealm (3 season passes of characters plus loot boxes for Injustice 2)? Arc System Works ($8 per character DLC and $40-$60 incremental upgrades every year)?

You can shit on Capcom for a LOT of things (and I'll be happy to join on what a shitshow SF5 has been) but the way they handled DLC in SF5 is not one of them. All of the characters and nearly all of the stages can be had for free, all of the balance updates (including the big AE update) are free. You have to pay for most of the costumes but who gives a shit about costumes? Plus, if you're going to complain about DLC costumes, give Tecmo a holler. They're happy to sell you $1,000 worth of bikinis and cosplay costumes for DoA5.

Last edited:

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
As opposed to who? Namco ($35 season pass for Dragon Ball Z and $30 for jackshit in Tekken 7)? Netherrealm (3 season passes of characters plus loot boxes for Injustice 2)? Arc System Works ($8 per character DLC and $40-$60 incremental upgrades every year)?

You can shit on Capcom for a LOT of things (and I'll be happy to join on what a shitshow SF5 has been) but the way they handled DLC in SF5 is not one of them. All of the characters and nearly all of the stages can be had for free, all of the balance updates (including the big AE update) are free. You have to pay for most of the costumes but who gives a shit about costumes? Plus, if you're going to complain about DLC costumes, give Tecmo a holler. They're happy to sell you $1,000 worth of bikinis and cosplay costumes for DoA5.
Fair enough. I'm just a grumpy old fuck that fondly remembers paying ONCE for a game, and owning that game until you didn't.
I get that development costs money...but I really miss just buying a game and that was that. I refuse to buy digital content, because you never really own it, just a license to use it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
SMH

I agree. I purchased the full version on Steam when it was released and having to pay for extra characters and stages now just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kind of feel like I got suckered.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

We've gone around more then once about this but in all honesty if Capcom asked for $150 total to unlock all 45 characters compared to 16 and probably around 30 stages compared to what... 7? I wouldn't have batted an eye. Compare that to Tekken 7 with 37 characters and what say 15 stages (guessing here) asking for $30 for 1 and a half (lets be honest FFXV characters aren't going to make the FGC swoon) characters, a couple of stages and Tekken Bowl doesn't bother me. Or Injustice 2 asking for $40 for 8 characters when they at least had 28 in the 1st place and it felt like a flushed out game again wouldn't bother me. DBF asking for $109 for the total package is also reasonable.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Fair enough. I'm just a grumpy old fuck that fondly remembers paying ONCE for a game, and owning that game until you didn't.
I get that development costs money...but I really miss just buying a game and that was that. I refuse to buy digital content, because you never really own it, just a license to use it.
I would have to agree. Once you've bought the game on Steam, you should get any later upgrades for free. It's not like buying a physical game (cartridge or CD), where it would cost them to send another disk, with the upgrade on it.
But Capcom has always done that- sold the same game multiple times to a consumer. There were multiple versions for the SF2, SFA and SFIII games, and they were just upgrades of each other, but people still bought them. SF2T was just SF2 with a few extra characters and moves. But people were still excited about buying, because it was SF2. Just about all Street Fighter games are high-quality, so they can justify a later purchase. They were better than any other fighting game on the SNES, so you ended up getting SSF2 in addition to SF2 and SF2T, instead of buying Mortal Kombat 2. Capcom was probably also planning to release SSF2T on SNES. But they had taken too many bites of the cherry, which stopped them from doing that.

With SFV, you are relying on other people to buy the upgraded version, so they can play that against you. I would have thought it was better to release just one version of SF4, SFV, as it would be better if everyone online is playing the same version. For online play, you need that critical mass of player numbers, so that there is always someone online to play against, whatever the time of day.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
God, I hate having to defend Capcom.

We've gone around more then once about this but in all honesty if Capcom asked for $150 total to unlock all 45 characters compared to 16 and probably around 30 stages compared to what... 7? I wouldn't have batted an eye. Compare that to Tekken 7 with 37 characters and what say 15 stages (guessing here) asking for $30 for 1 and a half (lets be honest FFXV characters aren't going to make the FGC swoon) characters, a couple of stages and Tekken Bowl doesn't bother me. Or Injustice 2 asking for $40 for 8 characters when they at least had 28 in the 1st place and it felt like a flushed out game again wouldn't bother me. DBF asking for $109 for the total package is also reasonable.

I don't mind buying season passes either if it's worth the money. The only difference between SF5 and all of the games you listed is that you have the option of not paying for the extra content if you'd rather just play the game to unlock it. You know... like old games.

If your complaint is that SF5 didn't have enough content at launch, you're not going to find much argument from me or anyone else. However, it now has 28 characters and over 20 stages with more coming and a bunch of new single player content coming for free.

I would have to agree. Once you've bought the game on Steam, you should get any later upgrades for free. It's not like buying a physical game (cartridge or CD), where it would cost them to send another disk, with the upgrade on it. <snip>

With SFV, you are relying on other people to buy the upgraded version, so they can play that against you. I would have thought it was better to release just one version of SF4, SFV, as it would be better if everyone online is playing the same version. For online play, you need that critical mass of player numbers, so that there is always someone online to play against, whatever the time of day.

Everyone who bought SF5 gets Arcade Edition as a free upgrade and everyone will be playing the same version when it comes out.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Honestly if you look at it as getting SFVAE it's not a bad deal, though not getting all 3 seasons does seem kinda f'ed up.

Paying by playing kinda sucks too. Maybe it's just me, but getting time to play games is hard so spending it playing one game because I want the Capcom Points sucks after a while. I will admit at least they gave an option, but then again Tekken allows you to easily rack up points and allow you to use them on any of the outfits.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Ah, fond memories of leaving the Dreamcast version of Marvel vs Capcom 2 on overnight in versus mode with no timer so that by morning you'd have unlocked a bunch of stuff...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Very few times, due to SNK-fanboism. First was SFII' Turbo HF on the Changer, then the CE on the Engine.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So on Super Nintendo you just owned vanilla and not II, II Turbo and Super II?

Yeah, just vanilla. I didn't get a SNES until I was in my 20s and I preferred the Genesis pad anyway.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Oh, the excitement and self-loathing. But, in my defense, I at least made an attempt not to buy the same game twice.

Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (3DO)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SAT)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PSX, DC)
Some Street Fighter II Turbo-esque game on the Gameboy Advance
Street Fighter III: Double Impact (DC)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (PS2, XBOX)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PS3)

That's all I can remember.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Not as many times as all of you, but plenty.

Snes Street fighter
Snes street fighter 2 turbo
SFC street fighter 2 turbo (gave to my brother)
SFC super street fighter 2
GEN street fighter 2 champion edition (dont like it)
CPS2 Super Street Fighter 2 X
PS3 Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
Switch Ultra Street Fighter
the upcoming bundle

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You have a CPS Changer? :tickled:

Yes, I have one. I was fascinated by the idea, that there is yet another concept out there like the Neo, offering you not ports but you original arcade games. An official CPS1 console version from Capcom? They really really wanted to tease SNK and have fun while doing it.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
I only purchased a version of SFII once and that was Super SFII Turbo on Capcom Classics Collection 2 for the PS2. Pretty disappointed that the AI was super cheap. Isn't the AI in the JPN version of Super Turbo different?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The only game I've bought more of is Lunar.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Wait... How many games are there for it? I only know about Silver Star for Sega CD and Silver Star Story for PSX.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
^ Wait... How many games are there for it? I only know about Silver Star for Sega CD and Silver Star Story for PSX.

GBA, Saturn, PSP and then bought the Vita dl.

Last edited: