Unibios future version color changes, feedback wanted.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, and only the first 0x300 tiles of that.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Too bad - that means no custom tiles, only the standard system font set could be used?

According to Raz, yes. I have two questions, though. If this is the standard tileset, does this mean every Neo has the tiles for "Winners Don't Use Drugs"? They're visible in the bottom right corner, on white background.

Fixref01.png

If these are the tiles at our disposal, how was this made? There are no standard tiles that you could build the neobitz logo out of. Not to mention the font for all the text.

NeobizUniBios.jpg

Raz did mention it's possible to use other tiles, but he's using the set present on ALL Neos. I guess these wouldn't work, unless you had that particular set?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The 'winners don't use drugs' graphic is only on the MVS sfix ROM. Its not held in the cart, only the first 0x300 tiles are. There are tiles that can be used to make vertical lines in the how to play tiles but that is also outside the first 0x300 tiles.

Yup, you can alter the fonts (on AES) and sprite graphic (MVS/AES) like Jeff did here. He is altering the tile data (because its on the cart). I think in the hypernoid demo videos I have seen NeoHomeBrew does the same for the NeoGeo sprite at least.

Last edited:

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
(Yes, for Hypernoid I have replaced the Neo-Geo logo with custom tiles.)
I just have exported the standard system font set with NGFX to have a reference. There is really not much scope for new fancy design ideas, looks like you squeezed out the maximum already ...

neo-geo-system-fix-font-x4.png

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
There are tiles that can be used to make vertical lines in the how to play tiles but that is also outside the first 0x300 tiles.

Interesting, I didn't knew before that some or all "how-to-play" tiles are standardized in all games?
I should consider to use these fix tile numbers for my how-to-play screen for Hypernoid too to be compatible with UniBios.
Not much to find about this fact on the wiki yet (https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=HOW_TO_PLAY).

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Only three games use it because the tiles are not available on AES (they are only on the MVS sfix ROM). There is a how to play routine that can be used in the bios though that the page explans. Only three games use it, NAM-1975 is one for example. Its not very good mind.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Edit: Actually the third page one with the single red line is really nice. My favorite for what it's worth. Glad Razoola is still making the unibios even better.

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Wonder what's coming as far as features go. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait! I'm excited to see what's gonna be in the next revision.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I'll be picking one of these up. Will be my first upgrade. I know this is asking a lot, but it's more of a question of possibility; would it be possible to have multiple colour sets and make them user select-able? I know it's likely out of the scope of this, but just a question. I have my Neo Geo in a NAC, and it would be neat to have it match the green, pink, white, and yellow colourway.

Thanks RAZ!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
yes you can change the colors but only of the ingame menu (on AES you need a memory card).

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I'd love to know what new features will be present as well.

In terms of cheats, probably a fairly useless request to most, but I'm hoping he ads a KoF 98 boss cheat for arcade/mvs mode, so that Omega Rugal can be selected by pressing start on Rugal, as is possible in home mode.

Would love KoF 99 Krizalid forms and KoF2000 Zero but it's my understanding there's no way to get them to show up as selectable icons on the Neo Geo versions.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Is there a reason you want to play Omega Rugal in MVS mode, why not simply put the unibios into console mode if you want to play a game with him?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Is there a reason you want to play Omega Rugal in MVS mode, why not simply put the unibios into console mode if you want to play a game with him?

Kinda curious about this, I've noticed in the past that some cheats are only available when in AES mode. Why is that?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Because thats how SNK did it.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I usually prefer playing KOF98 in arcade mode since that's how I used to play it, and back in the day I always wished Omega Rugal could be selected in the arcades. Of course I put it to console mode when playing vs or using Omega Rugal. It's probably a useless feature to most people so I can understand why it hasn't been implemented.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
Awesome color schemes. One can't stop thinking about what upgrades it will feature... :)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
New release is slowly getting closer.

Missile

Another Striker
New color scheme looks great. I would still pay a lot for a uni bios that can save all high scores and maybe save game state too. Also level skips for all games would be great for practicing.

Gorka

Borca,
20 Year Member
I left my cabinet for service and decided to celebrate getting the old gal back in working condition by ordering a universe bios today.
Figured it would be best if i didnt try to attach it myself. Then i stumble on this thread to find the bios is on the treshold of an update.

Gaddäm.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I left my cabinet for service and decided to celebrate getting the old gal back in working condition by ordering a universe bios today.
Figured it would be best if i didnt try to attach it myself. Then i stumble on this thread to find the bios is on the treshold of an update.

Gaddäm.

don't worry, you will be entitled for a upgrade.

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
Hey Raz - how do upgrades work (coming from a 3.3)? Love that latest color scheme after the revisions. Dare I say a touch more gold?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Once the new version released you simply email me with the v3.3 info and we go from there.