Unibios future version color changes, feedback wanted.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I got sold on the colors alone. I also like the first screenshot the most. This looks very nice.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its not possible to have a solid line either. but I would easily make it v 4.00 so the first line justifies correctly. The 4.0 beta version will normally show the serial number.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Its not possible to have a solid line either. but I would easily make it v 4.00 so the first line justifies correctly. The 4.0 beta version will normally show the serial number.

This color scheme was just my two cents. When you mentioned 4.0 being an homage to AES, these colors were what I thought of instantly. The logo alone being gold, while the rest is grey was a bit bland. In my opinion, cyan and magenta would make it pop. As in, hey, 4.0 is a MAJOR update. Just food for thought. Otherwise it just looks like a palette swap. Not that there's anything wrong wit it!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I do kind of like the megenta when its in a solid line, its just a pain there is no graphics that allow me to do that easily. I guess I could draw one using a scanline interrupt but then it starts to get a pain just for a line. thanks for the ideas though, defo some things to think about.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is huge, I may actually get a Universe Bios!

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
its looking great!
i would still prefer to have the "forever" word removed, and also some of the ----- characters.
Just i prefer it as simple as possible.
Looking forward to upgrade some time in 2018 :)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I really like the new color scheme. Much more "Neo" and I always thought the green was a bit garish.

Anyways, I prefer picture one. The Universe BIOS text in that font says "Neo-Geo BIOS" to me, since that matches the game setup font.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Raz, that is one fantastic color scheme! I really like how it turned out.

I experimented a bit with your original images, wanting to try out how things might look with fewer elements. Cleaner. There's more that I want to play around with, but didn't have enough samples of the fonts to give it a proper go.

Don't know if the 'forever' can be aligned like so, but it does look nice. All caps here might be even better.

9vlimSV.png

GQQwelv.png

Left alignment, full text for the C button prompt, gold color for the soft reboot option. In Game Menu & Button C text might look better in caps.

6e3ckZM.png

Losing the row of dashes here could allow one more cheat to be displayed here:

yOtSHV6.png

Looking forward to seeing more of 4.0. :)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I like the new look, raz. Any major changes imminent with 4.0?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Raz, that is one fantastic color scheme! I really like how it turned out.

I experimented a bit with your original images, wanting to try out how things might look with fewer elements. Cleaner. There's more that I want to play around with, but didn't have enough samples of the fonts to give it a proper go.

Don't know if the 'forever' can be aligned like so, but it does look nice. All caps here might be even better.

9vlimSV.png

GQQwelv.png

Left alignment, full text for the C button prompt, gold color for the soft reboot option. In Game Menu & Button C text might look better in caps.

6e3ckZM.png

Losing the row of dashes here could allow one more cheat to be displayed here:

yOtSHV6.png

Looking forward to seeing more of 4.0. :)

This right here! Very easy on the eyes!!
Did you ever investigate if it wasn possible to uncensor the CPU's fatalities in Samurai Shodown 3?
BB

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Having the "beta version" text under the Region and Mode seems a bit redundant. Serial number would be ok, though.
I'd remove the "v" in front of the 4.0.

9vlimSV.png

I'd even get rid of the "Universe Bios" text in the ingame menu:

6e3ckZM Kopie.png

Some of the lower case letters look a bit odd.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Was about to say! we finally put our big boy video game pants on a few years ago.

I like the colour scheme and to be honest it was the reason I never moved from my SP-S2 bios, the green in the older versions is just such a turn off and made me want to forego all of the wonderful features.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Keep the ideas coming.

I have had a play around today and I have made a way to have solid lines though its quite limited. There are two 8x8 tiles I can use. In one the line is drawn at the very top of the tile and in another at the very bottom. This means while I can get a line in the middle of the large font (8x18) it cannot be done for the small font (8x8).

In these picture I join the tiles together to make lines two pixels thick.

sonicwi2007.png

sonicwi2008.png

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I like these two most recent shots very much. The solid line really cleans up the visual. Much better than the dashes.

Colors look really good too. Very readable and clean.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Nice to see you got the solid line figured out! Now, if it only was wine red ...

Just out of curiosity, what can be realistically done graphics-wise on the splash screen? How does this screen work? Is it like the PSOne license screen? That one had a logo and a license text, and that was all you could mess around with. You couldn't display full screen graphics.

If you went all out, and say, ask ALiEN [NeoSD's, and demoscene pixel artist] for some crazy graphics for the splash screen, what could you squeeze in? Is the splash screen space divided into a gfx area and text? Is it purely a size limit for the BIOS?

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I really like the last shot too, just maybe something to do with the dashes under forever .

sonicwi2007.png

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The wine red can be done very easily. you can add in the wine red if you want to see what it looks like.

Its all quite limited though because the bios does not hold graphics. On top of that the AES can only use graphics from the game cart. this basically means we are limited to the first 0x300 8x8 tiles only. It would be possible to add in graphics via the neoSD but apart from the neogeo logo already used it would also be limited to 8x8 tiles. Bios space is also very limited which does not help this situation but I think despite all this we have got the splash screen looking better.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
I quite like the direction you're taking with the splash screen. The new color scheme and the move away from broken lines makes the whole thing feel a lot cleaner; more professional. I look forward to the eventual 4.0 release.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Great work with the new color scheme Raz, looks very cool.
Personally I did prefer the line color in a less intrusive color (darker gray). If a lighter gray (or magenta) is used, it is a highlight color - which is fine for the "selected item" but imho not so much for a seperator.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have done a little more today (hash removal)...

To answer some of the other questions. I have not yet worked out how to alter the 'SNK forever' so it looks good without the dashes. I cant't move the font like your picture greatfunky.

I have not yet decided on the final colors for the bars on the splash screen and top / bottom bars in the main unibios menu (picture posted yesturday, post #40). They might get darker Berry.

The colors used in the 4 new 'in game menu' screens below is probably final though because I only have 4 colors to play with there.

Hashes used to show where text or digits will go I'll probably keep. How are these pictures looking?

sonicwi3012.png

sonicwi3015.png

sonicwi3014.png

sonicwi3008.png

sonicwi3009.png

sonicwi3010.png

sonicwi3011.png
[/CENTER]

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I think we are all agree to say this next unibios will be a success , gold letters are so cool :)...