Sega CD

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The Sega CD epitomizes the special interest niche perfectly: a (still) expensive add-on with one, single, queerly killerapp, the official english-translation of Snatcher, and only a few distinct hits like Dennin, Final Fight, Keio, Sonic, Westone's Dungeon Explorer, Red's Winds of Thunder remake & Popful Mail. What I'm missing is a Castlevania (no Mr. Evans, you won't do), a Thunder Force (Bari-Arm is hardly it) and a full-fledged Shinobi (Ninja Warriors can't count here, it's not even the same sport).

Sometimes I think it's only there, dressed in its futuristic front loader chassis, to make my Mega Drive look even better. A costly pedestal for one of the best looking consoles ever made.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I've noticed no one has mentioned Batman Returns.

So many hours playing the driving section (you can select which portion of the game you want to play - platform, driving or both).

It looks seriously dated now but it was plenty-o-fun back then.

I would buy a Mega CD FPGA device just for that game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
True, despite the usual low frame rate, it's an excellent choice, but again, an awkward one: skip the main dish, get right to the dessert.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

So many hours playing the driving section (you can select which portion of the game you want to play - platform, driving or both).

That Driving section is awesome, I love it. Every time I play that driving section, it kind makes me feel like I'm playing Chase H.Q Arcade.

If the whole game was just a driving game, I would be cool with it.

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Snatcher alone would make it worth it.

I feel like the majority of the general want for this is driven by Snatcher itself. I totally agree though that this would make it worth it. The price on that game is so ridiculous at this point. Snatcher plus access to a bunch of overlooked games is totally worth it in my book.

Dark Wizard...hands down. I would totally buy an ODE replacement for Sega CD just for Dark Wizard.

In terms of English librarys, the Sega CD beats the Turbo CD hands down.

Omg! Dark Wizard was the best. I always had a soft spot for Earthworm Jim though. The sequel to Eternal Champions was awesome also. I think It's time to see if my bro still has the copy I gave him before I moved.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
The Terminator, and Sonic CD alone would be worth it for me. Snatcher would be gravy.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I feel like the majority of the general want for this is driven by Snatcher itself. I totally agree though that this would make it worth it. The price on that game is so ridiculous at this point. Snatcher plus access to a bunch of overlooked games is totally worth it in my book.

When I finally broke down and bought a copy of Snatcher, it was the most I'd payed for a game at that point. I debated pretty hard paying $100 since it was still pretty easy to find Sega CD games at that point locally.

Looking at what the game sells for now I'd say I made out okay. :) If I ever sold it though there is no way I'd rebuy at these prices.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Why is everyone wanting terraonion to make a new device for this? What is so great about this attachment? I've never had one nor played one.
Theres around 10 or so really amazing games for it. Honestly though since it plays burnt games and the units themselves arent that expensive it seems like a total waste of effort.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Theres around 10 or so really amazing games for it. Honestly though since it plays burnt games and the units themselves arent that expensive it seems like a total waste of effort.

But if a TerraOnion Genesis & Sega CD solution enabled both cart functionality and CD functionality like the PCE CD does, then it most certainly would not be a total waste of effort.

PCE CD runs burns as well - that doesn't mean that it's good for the longevity of the laser on either CD console.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Either you havent looked recently, havent looked at all or have too much money.
I mean i've got a cdx and 2 model 2. So no I havent looked in awhile but, I dont think they cost more than $100-150ish right? Not a bad deal for a console that can play every single game just by burning a copy is a great value imho.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I mean i've got a cdx and 2 model 2. So no I havent looked in awhile but, I dont think they cost more than $100-150ish right? Not a bad deal for a console that can play every single game just by burning a copy is a great value imho.

I think they are $200+ now and going up. The Japanese wondermega's and cdx's go for much more.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I have two model 2's right now: one where fuse needs replacing (easy enough to fix), and the other I think the laser just up and decided to take a dirt nap out of the blue one day. A replacement ODE, especially one that gives Everdrive like functionality for Genesis and Master System games, would be an instant purchase.

If they could get Game Gear fully functioning as well, it would be the ultimate Sega 16 & 8 bit add-on.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member

Don't forget Cliffhanger. The snowboarding section is basically just like the driving section of Batman Returns.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
For me, the best overall is still Sonic 2 on Genesis. Best 3D game is Sonic Colors on Wii.
I agree, Sonic 2 is the best 16 bit sonic

Sonic CD has very convoluted level design, and at times feels more like a fan created game or level hack than actual sonic... it just doesn’t FLOW like sonic 2

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I've been on a MASSIVE Sega CD kick for the past couple months.... just pulled my Model 1 that I got in 1995ish out of the closet, and had it repaired by a local who did a great job. Mostly wanted to try a few old favorites and burn a couple new titles - ended up totally enamored all over again.

I steered a friend to play Tomcat Alley, so my taste is dogshit... but I've been playing that along with Mansion of Hidden Souls, Sonic CD, Android Assault / Bari Arm, Silpheed, Sol Feace, Spider-man Vs Kingpin, and Ecco.

Robo Aleste was a solid exclusive shmup
Is that one really as good as people say? I went into it expecting it to be like Space Megaforce / Super Aleste, and it felt kinda dry by comparison.

Everyone forgets Misadventures of Flink. It's pretty damn amazing. If I remember correct, it was developed by only 1 or 2 guys. Which makes it even more impressive. Don't quote me on that.

A Sega CD SD device is necessary. I would love one. However, I don't think it's top priority over PS1, and Saturn. I think I could count the amazing Sega CD titles on two hands. Maybe 3. The rest are average at best. But those good ones, they are really, really good.

Any idiot (me), can easily burn a Sega CD ISO first try, every time. This isn't even an option on PS1 and Sega CD, unless your console is modded.
OK, I've been meaning to try Flink... I do it soon, based on your recommendation.

I've never heard of this one, it looks amazing.

But Sega CD hardware is really flakey. Model 2 units are pretty easy fixes, but model 1s are not and most of them ended up in junkyards. There's a handful of good games for the system- Popful Mail, Bari Arm (Android Assault), Shining Force CD... Could be a market there, who knows.

Are Model 1s really that unreliable? Mine was fixed pretty easily by a local guy - basically needed a new belt/grease and fuse... and it's kinda odd it needed a fuse.

I think Sonic CD, is the best sonic on the Genesis/CD/32X combo. Maybe even the best Sonic, but I really like Sonic Adventure a lot too.
Sonic CD is really good; it's trendy to hate Sonic CD for daft kids on facebook, but I stand by that game being solid.
While we're calling out favorites, Soul Star is a tragically overlooked gem. It's a rail shooter like StarFox with absolutely fantastic music. The controls take some getting used to, and the collision detection is sometimes flaky, but it's still a great game overall, and a graphical showpiece for the Sega CD hardware.
I loved the first stage of that one when I burned it... couldn't figure out how to progress in the second stage though. Seemed cool as hell!

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I loved the first stage of that one when I burned it... couldn't figure out how to progress in the second stage though. Seemed cool as hell!

If it's the stage I'm thinking of (where your ship transforms and you're free-exploring around inside the giant alien ship), watch your radar in the top middle. It'll direct you to a CPU core (mini boss) that you have to destroy first.

After the CPU core is defeated, the ship goes into self-destruct, and you have a limited amount of time to get out. It's also here that you decide whether you want to go on the Easy, Normal, or Hard route - like Starfox, you get different stages depending on the route you choose. There's three escape "warp gates", one for each difficulty. Look at your radar again and follow it to the difficulty you want. Look for two mini-towers standing on the floor close to a flat circle on the floor. When you shoot the two mini-towers, they'll move adjacent to the flat circle. When both towers are in place, the warp gate will form on the flat circle. Then you need to follow the "runway" leading away from the warp gate to another flat circle on the floor. Land your ship on that circle, and it will automatically zip down the runway and through the warp gate.

Your radar should lead you to each step along the way, and you can always check YouTube if my directions don't make sense. Also, use a six button controller if you have one - the X and Y buttons map to your strong secondary weapons, and you can hold down Z to move your ship height up and down in the free-exploring areas.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Rise of the Dragon

/topic

DOS version was far better, though. All other DOS ports are inferior, too. As are most ports of games released on cartridge, since no garbled FMV is worth doing hard loading time. Best ports are from other CD based consoles (CD-Rom Rom) or diskettes (Amiga).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
My Sega CD does not get much love compared to PCE - there are a few standout titles, but it's almost like an Atari Jaguar when you compare it to PCE. But then again, I've very biased. Sonic CD, Snatcher, Devastator and Bari-Arm are worth such a device being created though for me. Plus Sega CD units are kinda' sketchy in terms of quality.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Honestly I'd like an ODE more for space savings than anything. I usually use a model 2 genny, and the model 2 CD to go with that is a big ol hoss.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Honestly I'd like an ODE more for space savings than anything. I usually use a model 2 genny, and the model 2 CD to go with that is a big ol hoss.
I'd be down with an ODE that's the size of the extension adapter for the Model 2.