Sega CD

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Shining Force CD
Snatcher
Popful Mail

Maybe Dark Wizard but I only tried it for like 2 minutes. Seemed cool. Lunar games are better on PS1 from what I heard.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Sol Feace kinda sucks but I love the music :)

Mega CD also had the best early port of Final Fight.

No one mentioned Night Trap yet? First game to get a rating... (but it wasn't really a game, and sucked ballz)

I’m lucky that some tard put a MultiMega on ebay uk mislabed, I got it for £120 a couple of years back. Sold my Mega Drive Mark 1 with Mega CD 2 attached - which was the largest and uglyest combo possible.

Here’s my slightly lame Mega CD collection. Snatcher is a reproduction copy, also got a repro copy of Silver Star arriving soon as I never played it first time round, but I liked the Grandia games.

E4C00D40-072E-42A1-B186-3DD946838683.jpeg

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Mega CD also had the best rarlybport of Final Fight.

No one mentioned Night Trap yet? First game to get a rating... (but it wasn't really a game, and sucked ballz)

I’m lucky that some tard put a MultiMega on ebay uk mislabed, I got it for £120 a couple of years back. Sold my Mega Drive Mark 1 with Mega CD 2 attached - which was the largest and uglyest combo possible.

Here’s my slightly lame Mega CD collection. Snatcher is a reproduction copy, also got a repro copy of Silver Star arriving soon as I never played it first time round, but I liked the Grandia games.

View attachment 50020

I till this day have a soft spot for Sol-Feace. Something about the Intro and the 1st stage music that always brings a smile to my face.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I till this day have a soft spot for Sol-Feace. Something about the Intro and the 1st stage music that always brings a smile to my face.

Same here. I love that the ship you fly is the GCS-WT or Game Creative Staff - WolfTeam. I can't believe a Woflteam game was a pack-in for this! SEGA should have waited to get some software that could show off the real capabilities of the Mega CD. Ahh SEGA...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
SEGA should have waited to get some software that could show off the real capabilities of the Mega CD. Ahh SEGA...

On the other hand, Virtua Racing Deluxe did show the capabilities of the 32X and SEGA still managed to subvert it with their premature Saturn release. Ahh SEGA...

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Snatcher
Popful Mail .

I just got my SEGA CD and those are the first 2 games I played through.

Snatcher totally lived up to the hype,

Popful Mail did not. Decent game but wasnt what I was expecting. Also from what I understand, the difficulty is way different to the JP version and that it was Working Designs doing. They made some weird balance choices making the game hard as fuck. I definitely noticed that the game was weirdly difficult. Found myself having to save constantly because random enemies can come out of nowhere and put you down quick.

Shining Force CD is on my to do list but I need to buy ram cart first.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Just in case you are not aware, Shining Force CD contains 2 games, which are remakes of Shining Force Gaiden 1&2 on GameGear. They mainly consist of battles. No exploration gameplay. Taverns and shops are accessed through menus between battles (similar to Vandal Hearts, if you played that). I was initially bummed to find this out, but it was still probably the closest thing I could get from the main series (which I'm a huge fan of).

There remains one more Shining Force Gaiden title on GameGear (subtitled "Gaiden 3 - The Final Conflict"), which is Japan-only, but there is a solid translation patch for it. If you end up enjoying SF CD, don't miss it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I actually really liked that CD was basically all battles and no bullshit.I spent a solid month or two playing through that.

I didn't know the third game had a translation, I'll have to look that up.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've run some of the other hacks on a Genesis just fine. It's the only way to play the Sonic games IMO.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Lunar games are better on PS1 from what I heard.

The general consensus is that 1 is better on PS1, but 2 is a bit more contentious. I'd take the Sega CD version of 2 over the PS1 version any day.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Mega CD also had the best early port of Final Fight.

View attachment 50020

That’s funny, I got a CDX in a similar manner. Guy had buy it now listed, and I messaged and asked “what number will you take if I offer?” (Since I hate the whole offer shit) and dude came back with a super cheap price and I jumped

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
That’s funny, I got a CDX in a similar manner. Guy had buy it now listed, and I messaged and asked “what number will you take if I offer?” (Since I hate the whole offer shit) and dude came back with a super cheap price and I jumped

One mans junk, another mans treasure. Nice find :)

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
My brother was in the game room two nights ago, and he says, "What's a 'Sega CD'?". I started going over the titles and so, his first Sega CD experience was Lords of Thunder. He came to me a couple hours later after beating it a couple times, and now he's hooked on these great Sega CD titles.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My brother was in the game room two nights ago, and he says, "What's a 'Sega CD'?". I started going over the titles and so, his first Sega CD experience was Lords of Thunder. He came to me a couple hours later after beating it a couple times, and now he's hooked on these great Sega CD titles.

The SCD has that effect on people. Since he liked Lords of Thunder, have him try Android Assault Next.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The SCD has that effect on people. Since he liked Lords of Thunder, have him try Android Assault Next.

Wha!? Just checked out a gameplay video and that looks awesome! All these years later and still discovering games I didn't know about :) Thanks Raz!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Wha!? Just checked out a gameplay video and that looks awesome! All these years later and still discovering games I didn't know about :) Thanks Raz!

Yea Bro, I only discovered that one last year. Awesome game and the music kicks ass.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I just got my SEGA CD and those are the first 2 games I played through.

Popful Mail did not. Decent game but wasnt what I was expecting. Also from what I understand, the difficulty is way different to the JP version and that it was Working Designs doing. They made some weird balance choices making the game hard as fuck. I definitely noticed that the game was weirdly difficult. Found myself having to save constantly because random enemies can come out of nowhere and put you down quick.

I really enjoy the game, but I agree that the difficulty is quite high compared to the Japanese version. I personally think that the translation WD did is one of their best on this game, tons of voice acting, different scenes depending on who you main and it looks great.

I have played the game a lot so the difficulty of the US version isn't that bad to me anymore, but if you are having issues you could try out the unworked version here (along with a lot of the other Working Designs games):
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0

They keep the translations but revert the difficulty levels to those from the Japanese releases.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Sega-CD,was an underrated add-on for the sega genesis.Often the conversation would go like this,oh it was all about the fmv because of all those digital pictures releases.Which i get a laugh out of since it was further from the truth.Though i think sega did rely on it to much they should have follow nec example more when it came to the turbo-cd.The turbo-cd has plenty of great sprite based video games.While the sega-cd selection in that regurd was small compare to it.I'm still rebuilding my sega-cd collection,which has been slow due to prices.

Heck i was looking for a copy of soul star recently.I found just going with a lose copy was the cheapest option.

Last edited:

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Sega-CD,was an underrated add-on for the sega genesis.Often the conversation would go like this,oh it was all about the fmv because of all those digital pictures releases.Which i get a laugh out of since it was further from the truth.Though i think sega did rely on it to much they should have follow nec example more when it came to the turbo-cd.The turbo-cd has plenty of great sprite based video games.While the sega-cd selection in that regurd was small compare to it.I'm still rebuilding my sega-cd collection,which has been slow due to prices.

Heck i was looking for a copy of soul star recently.I found just going with a lose copy was the cheapest option.

The cheapest option is burning your own.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
The cheapest option is burning your own.
I don't trust burns to much on the sega-cd.Unless it's for the really expensive games last year i settle on that when i wanted to play snatcher again.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I really enjoy the game, but I agree that the difficulty is quite high compared to the Japanese version. I personally think that the translation WD did is one of their best on this game, tons of voice acting, different scenes depending on who you main and it looks great.

I have played the game a lot so the difficulty of the US version isn't that bad to me anymore, but if you are having issues you could try out the unworked version here (along with a lot of the other Working Designs games):
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0

They keep the translations but revert the difficulty levels to those from the Japanese releases.

The voice acting is awesome. Mail calls tatto a retard at one point. Can you imagine if that was in a game today?