Any USA Amiga owners here?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
STC - What is the easiest way to get an A1200 to connect to a VGA monitor? I have a Dell 4:3 VGA/DVI monitor I would like to use on an A1200.

If your 4:3 monitor supports lower resolutions like 320x200, 320x240, 640x480 then you can use an inexpensive Amiga RGB to VGA adapter like this one.
http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=183

Newer HDMI monitors or HDTVs will need something like the Indivision FlickerFixer like Greedo posted, or you can use a SCART cable with a console upscaler like the OSSC, Framemeister, or one of the cheapie Amazon SCART to HDMI converters if you don’t mind lag.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm no expert. So you may want to wait on Todd. But I think this will do the trick. http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=82&products_id=1148

Indivisions are nice solutions that support high resolutions that normally wouldn't be easily usable on the Amiga.

However, couple downsides:

1. Only use them on one machine since they are internally installed. Can't exactly use it on multiple devices.

2. Needs lots of fiddling with the settings to get great results. And even then, it's very difficult to get smooth 50hz scrolling from PAL/Euro software which is very important if you want to enjoy Amiga stuff to it's fullest.

As Jibba said, I will always, always recommend an OSSC. External, use on multiples computers and consoles and can output anything from between 50 to 60Hz.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I'm no expert. So you may want to wait on Todd. But I think this will do the trick. http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=82&products_id=1148

ShootTheCore said:
If your 4:3 monitor supports lower resolutions like 320x200, 320x240, 640x480 then you can use an inexpensive Amiga RGB to VGA adapter like this one.
http://amigakit.amiga.store/catalog/...roducts_id=183

Newer HDMI monitors or HDTVs will need something like the Indecision FlickerFixer like Greedo posted, or you can use a SCART cable with a console upscaler like the OSSC, Framemeister, or one of the cheapie Amazon SCART to HDMI converters if you don’t mind lag.

Thanks guys! The monitor does support those resolution, but I may as well get an OSSEC since I also want an Atari STE.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Indivisions are nice solutions that support high resolutions that normally wouldn't be easily usable on the Amiga.

However, couple downsides:

1. Only use them on one machine since they are internally installed. Can't exactly use it on multiple devices.

2. Needs lots of fiddling with the settings to get great results. And even then, it's very difficult to get smooth 50hz scrolling from PAL/Euro software which is very important if you want to enjoy Amiga stuff to it's fullest.

As Jibba said, I will always, always recommend an OSSC. External, use on multiples computers and consoles and can output anything from between 50 to 60Hz.

Thanks Todd! I have seen you review on your YouTube channel and it was fantastic!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Nothing gets me erect faster than a Todd's Nerd Cave video.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I've been playing with WinUAE over Christmas and am loving it! I just want to make sure I am playing these games before investing in real hardware.

On a side note, if I do go real hardware, would I just copy over the games to the CF drive to access them?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I finally joined the Amiga club as this hit my front step today:

7a1332b6691e77f08d06ffe0121fc3c7.jpg

Got the whole package for $100 shipped from another forum. The only software it came with though was a Parasol Stars disc. Seems to work just fine even though the composite video out is black & white only.

I have a RGB SCART cable and a Gotek floppy drive emulator on the way. I figure a memory upgrade would be a good idea too. What other upgrades should I look into?

This will be my first Amiga experience. As a long time C64 fan I'd always drool over Amiga screenshots in magazines, so I'm really looking forward to getting this up and running.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

Got the whole package for $100 shipped from another forum. The only software it came with though was a Parasol Stars disc. Seems to work just fine even though the composite video out is black & white only.

I have a RGB SCART cable and a Gotek floppy drive emulator on the way. I figure a memory upgrade would be a good idea too. What other upgrades should I look into?

This will be my first Amiga experience. As a long time C64 fan I'd always drool over Amiga screenshots in magazines, so I'm really looking forward to getting this up and running.

Holy shit, $100 shipped for that is a screamin' deal! If you don't happen to have any plans for that external floppy drive, I'd love to buy it from you.

Composite video from the Amiga is supposed to be B&W, in case you didn't know. Not sure what their logic was with that, but whatevs.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Nice score! That's a crazy deal.

ChopstickSamurai

Hey Jibbs, I was afraid the deal wasn't going to happen as the seller was super busy all last month. But thankfully it worked out. The seller never used the system so it was sold as-is.

Not sure if I'll be using the external floppy but if I'll let you know if I part ways with it. Looking forward to a possible joint Amiga video with Yodd one day. [emoji6]

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I've been playing with WinUAE over Christmas and am loving it! I just want to make sure I am playing these games before investing in real hardware.

On a side note, if I do go real hardware, would I just copy over the games to the CF drive to access them?

If you go with real hardware, you’ll be using the WHDLoad Amiga software with game image “slave” files. They’re pretty easy to Google. Download them on a PC, then use WinUAE to mount your Amiga formatted CF and copy the files over.

Congrats on your A500 pickup Chopstick! Besides the Gotek you already ordered, you’ll want to get the caps on the motherboard replaced if it hasn’t been done already. Also, upgrading the stock 512k memory to at least 1 meg and ideally 2 meg will let you run around 80% of the total game library. The A500 can’t run the games that used the later ECS and AGA graphics chips without a special upgrade board like a Vampire

It’s also critical to remove the motherboard battery and replace it if it hasn’t already been done. They’re notorious for leaking and damaging the board on their way out. Google “a500 varta leak” to see what I mean...

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
still got a german amiga 500 in stock that I don't need if anybody interested. just the device itself though, no accessories. pay shipping and buy me a card for the nintendo eshop or whatever.
need to give a test though.

ChopstickSamurai

It’s also critical to remove the motherboard battery and replace it if it hasn’t already been done. They’re notorious for leaking and damaging the board on their way out. Google “a500 varta leak” to see what I mean...

I was looking into this and I'm a bit confused. Is it just the 500+ that has a battery on the motherboard, or does the 500 do too? Looks like the RAM expansions have a battery, which as it turns out the Amiga I bought has one too. Score!

Once I get all the parts I ordered I look forward to cracking this open and checking things out.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
If you go with real hardware, you’ll be using the WHDLoad Amiga software with game image “slave” files. They’re pretty easy to Google. Download them on a PC, then use WinUAE to mount your Amiga formatted CF and copy the files over.

Congrats on your A500 pickup Chopstick! Besides the Gotek you already ordered, you’ll want to get the caps on the motherboard replaced if it hasn’t been done already. Also, upgrading the stock 512k memory to at least 1 meg and ideally 2 meg will let you run around 80% of the total game library. The A500 can’t run the games that used the later ECS and AGA graphics chips without a special upgrade board like a Vampire

Thank you STC!

ChopstickSamurai

Ah yep, looks like the original A500 didn’t have the battery, so you’re okay on that front. Sorry for the mistake.

Here’s what the PCB looks like-I couldn’t spot a battery anywhere.
[/url]

Oh good, thanks for the heads up though! Looks like the casing for the RAM expansion is soldered shut so I can't check that right now. It's crazy all the old machines with these ticking timebombs in them.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My Amiga 600 playing some mod music via OctaMED.

DTEh97_BWk_AYCx68.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
PS/2 mouse adapter - use a standard PS/2 compatible mouse with the Amiga