PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It was Yuzo Koshiro that said music makes the games IIRC, and Ys is the prime example, alongside maybe Streets of Rage.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I beat Ys 3, what a shit game. I enjoyed the music and art but holy shit were the boss battles boring, voice acting was ass, the scrolling was dumb, and gameplay utterly broken.

Looking forward to Ys IV.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I like the side-scrolling alternate take on Ys, but it definitely isn’t up to the same level as the other PCE Ys games.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I beat Ys IV. It was great. It was the first epic entry into series and I mean that in the real sense of the word. There were more bosses more dialogue more of everything. Just a bigger game in general. I really enjoyed the boss fights this time around too. I don't think the music is as good as the first three though, but that doesn't mean the music was bad. It just means the bar with set high.

Also in between I managed to 1cc Lords of thunder. It was a decent challenge but not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm going to up the difficulty and see if I can do it on the hard level.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Try doing full runs with just one type of armor. Makes some runs and others very hard.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I beat Ys IV. It was great. It was the first epic entry into series and I mean that in the real sense of the word. There were more bosses more dialogue more of everything. Just a bigger game in general. I really enjoyed the boss fights this time around too. I don't think the music is as good as the first three though, but that doesn't mean the music was bad. It just means the bar with set high.

Also in between I managed to 1cc Lords of thunder. It was a decent challenge but not as hard as I thought it would be. I'm going to up the difficulty and see if I can do it on the hard level.

You should squeeze in Dungeon Explorer II now. It can be beat in less than 10 hours. Cool fact: There are like 3 intros. Let it keep looping. I would go into ot blind. It's pretty linear, but there are hidden characters.

If you beat LOT and haven't played Gate of Thunder yet, that is the next obvious choice. There are so many SHMUPS it's hard to choose though.

Spriggan
Magical Chase
Tatsujin
Terra Cresta
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
Mr. Heli (so unique it's a mist play)
Nexzr (not summer carnival)
Coryoon
Sapphire
Star Parodia
Salamander
Gradius II Gofer

Like 50 more.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I didn't think about 1cc'ing Lord of Thunder with different armors. I think I'll do that since it seems the earth armor bulled everything over on my play through.

I'm on the verge of 1cc'ing Solider Blade and Air Zonk, but I think I'll come back to them. I can't get into Gate of Thunder, but I keep trying. I think I'll make an attempt just to do it. It might change my mind. I have most all of those shmups listed and more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For right now I'm going to put the PC Engine away and jam out to some Genesis games. I have to change things up sometimes.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
For right now I'm going to put the PC Engine away and jam out to some Genesis games. I have to change things up sometimes.

That's a perfect change, roker. I often play Engine & Genny back to back, sometimes just to compare ports, sometimes because both complement each other so good.

There are a couple of games, which will let you feel that link particularly well, like Alisia Dragoon. It's like this game was designed with the SuperCD in mind: extended cut-scenes, a setting-mix of sf with fantasy, an amazone-like heroine and the beautiful artwork by Gainax... it all would fit the Engine perfectly.

Then there are these two pre-Pokémon Game Freak titles Pulseman and Magical Taruruto-kun, which have PC-Engine written all over them. It's the same with Wolf Team games, here I recommend El Viento. I also bet that if you show somebody Verytex, they'd mistaken it for a Engine game instantly.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The In Game Trigger as it currently works is problematic. I would highly suggest keeping it disabled. And we plan to revise the interface soon.

Yeah so how is that going so far?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm going to wear out my power switch with the rage resets I have sometimes.

Same! It would be great if that feature just worked. There's a few other things I'd love to see fixed. Popful Mail intro, and as much as I get made fun of for this...I want Sherlock Holmes games to work!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Same! It would be great if that feature just worked. There's a few other things I'd love to see fixed. Popful Mail intro, and as much as I get made fun of for this...I want Sherlock Holmes games to work!

I like cheesy FMV games. I didn't at first, but lately it's horrible-ness is working for me. Have you checked out It came from the Desert? Holy shit, that game needs a remaster. Surprisingly good music for a cheese early FMV game.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Popful Mail intro

The intro seems fine.

I can't get through the first 20 mins of the game because it goes back to the menu after an unskippable cutscene when you free Tatt. I wonder if anyone has told them or if they care ... meh.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I like cheesy FMV games. I didn't at first, but lately it's horrible-ness is working for me. Have you checked out It came from the Desert? Holy shit, that game needs a remaster. Surprisingly good music for a cheese early FMV game.

I play through It Came From the Desert every few years. I bought it at release and loved it for all it's warts. It's soooo bad it's good. The actual action levels are just so awful. I sadly have that intro song memorized and it loops in my dumb skull from time to time.

The popful mail intro when that spear lands in front of her is all garbled. I haven't tried to play much, I played through the actual disk a couple years ago, I wanna see if I can get to that crash you speak of today. The Sherlock Holmes games are pretty fun for liesure...but they rely on the CD access to sync things up and they don't have anything in the SSD3 to emulate access speed sadly. I hope they implement that though.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

Popful Mail intro bug is due to the system card you are using. Change to the 2.0 card instead of the arcade card and that should fix it. It's not a bug with the SSDS3.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Popful Mail intro bug is due to the system card you are using. Change to the 2.0 card instead of the arcade card and that should fix it. It's not a bug with the SSDS3.

no shit?! that's awesome..didn't know that

Still want my Sherlock fix though lol

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

confession time:

After reading your post I went back and switched the card and still had trouble, then I took a look at the file itself and it said (sample) .... then it occurred to me that I was playing a demo disc.

Happy ending:

I downloaded the complete version and can now enjoy the early cutesy version of this game.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
confession time:

After reading your post I went back and switched the card and still had trouble, then I took a look at the file itself and it said (sample) .... then it occurred to me that I was playing a demo disc.

Happy ending:

I downloaded the complete version and can now enjoy the early cutesy version of this game.

That is a happy ending.

I still can't get it to work for me - I assumed you meant Sys card 3? Without AC enabled...because Popful is a Super CD game...won't work at all with Sys card 2...I've tried all my Sys3 files and I still get the glitch.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That is a happy ending.

I still can't get it to work for me - I assumed you meant Sys card 3? Without AC enabled...because Popful is a Super CD game...won't work at all with Sys card 2...I've tried all my Sys3 files and I still get the glitch.

I'm going to try it right now. You definitely need a System Card 3 or it'll give you some kind of error screen with popful lecturing at you.

It still glitches for me even after using a different card (US vs. Jpn)

I think you're going to have to live with it unless TO fixes it.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I play through It Came From the Desert every few years. I bought it at release and loved it for all it's warts. It's soooo bad it's good. The actual action levels are just so awful. I sadly have that intro song memorized and it loops in my dumb skull from time to time..

I dunno why, but that song stuck with me too. "Sea of Love" was it ? I never sat down to actually beat the game though. It just looks so terrible I can't imagine having any fun with it.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I read a rumor on a Twitch stream that TO was going to look into updating the SSDS3 firmware after the Mode was released. Is there any truth to this? Fixing the in-game hooks to not bug out certain games would be great. Having to toggle your power switch on/off to get back to the menu suuuuucks.