PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
What is there to be happy or unhappy about? if you've got a cable that isn't passive then buy one that is?

All this bullshit back and forth over a cable.... step away from the keyboard.

I'm getting increasingly irritated with it all..

xROTx

PS. On an aside... the user registrations are sorta weird atm... I am deleting more accounts than usual...

I'd like to add... even if one of the accounts that has been restricted by myself manages to get through... it wouldn't take me long to resolve your account and IP perma...

neosd

Neosd Developer
@NeoSD.

I asked before but never got an answer. Is there Games Express CD Rom support? Or would it be able to be implemented in the future via firmware update?

With support for those games, I "think" we would have compatibility for all PC Engine games.

Hello,

We just tried Games Express CD Roms and those are working.

Thanks

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
I am going to sleep now, but i would love that you read what you write and think about that.

i will give you a hint : ITS A CABLE

There are two type of genesis2 cables being sold :

a) one with resistors
b) one without resistors

Where is the "issue" about those ? cables with resistors and our current configuration may output a darker image on crts

Why we haven´t noticed that ? cause our cables may not have the resistors, THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO CHECK TOMORROW.

What can we do about that ?

Change the resistors on our PCB to 0ohm to fit the cables with resistors OR let the current ones.

What would happen if we don´t change the resistors to 0ohm ? users may get darker picture using cables WITH resistors.
How this could be solved if we don´t change the resistors to 0ohm ? getting a cable without resistors. Where can i get one ? EVERYWHERE, its not an adamantium cable.
What if i can´t find a cable without the resistors ? you can remove the resistors from your cable, those are on the SCART connector, they are easy to remove.
What else can we do about that ? Ship a free cable without resistors with each Super SD System 3

So what we are going to do ? WE DON´T KNOW, WE HAVE TO SEE IF THE CABLES WE USED HAVE RESISTORS OR NOT

Really really clear! :) I'm waiting your feedback. But in any case I will buy the SD System 3 :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'll let NEOSD post, but I think this whole cable nonsense can be put to bed.

:glee:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Yeah... I have mentioned to Alex for some time now that he needs to relax on some fronts...

The cable discussion. imo.. and a lot of our memberbase was a non-issue...

I appreciate Alex wants everyone to be happy... and answer everything he can... but sometimes... it's best to just post "It works on my setup and I've tested the hell out of it... please wait to get the device before you start complaining"...

xROTx

PS. Meh.. what do i know Yodd man...

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks.

If the demand allows them to dictate the ordering procedure that's awesome.

To make your life even easier, don't buy from the ebay store. Buy from their website directly. http://retro-access.com/ It's cheaper overall and way easier to find the cables. I have bought 20 plus cables from them this year and they have all been fantastic. Nothing against retrogamingcables, but I am US based. If you need something special, just ask and they will accommodate.

Once the final spec is figured out for this system, if a cable isn't included, I will just buy one from there myself and mention to them that they have a new item they may want to add. I have talked to the owner many times before and she is always real friendly.

Can't wait to have this in my hands. The molds look great. Awesome job NeoSD.

neosd

Neosd Developer

Ok, i will try to explain the whole "issue" and what we will do to fix it.

Mega Drive 2/ Genesis 2 RGB output is too bright cause SEGA did a mistake not adding 3 resistors and 3 capacitors on theyr RGB output lines.

So "correct" Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 cables come with those resistors and capacitors soldered on the RGB Male connector.

This is a picture of the Mega Drive2 / Genesis 2 Cables we have been using (this is a "proper" cable so the resistors and the capacitors are soldered there) :

gen2_rgb_cable.png

So if you use a RGB Cable without those resistors and capacitors on a megadrive 2, the image will be too bright.

Our Super SD System 3 has those resistors and capacitors on the board, just after the RGB output, just how sega should have done and just how anyone would do whilre doing a proper design.

What happens if you plug a Mega Drive 2/ Genesis 2 cable to our current design? (with the caps and resistors after the RGB output soldered on the pcb ) The image is darker cause those resistors and caps are used to fix this issue on the bright Mega Drive 2/Genesis 2 video output.

So what we did today ?
Just remove those capacitors and resistors on our pcb and solder wire bridges.

What happened after that using a Mega Drive 2/ Genesis 2 RGB cable with those resistors and capacitors soldered inside ?
The image got less darker.

So what we are going to do ?

Ask factory to not solder those 3 capacitors and 3 resistors on the pcb and solder 6 0 OHM resistors on its place.

What a 0 OHM resistor is ? the same as a wire or a bridge.

So from a pcb astetic point of view, nothing changes, its just we swaped a component with one value from another.

Here are two videos so you guys can notice the diference.

Notice that we have soldered wires but the pcbs will not be shipped with wires, but with 0 OHM resistors soldered. We were able to do those changes cause the pcbs are manufactured but the components are still not soldered .

What would have happened if we would not have changed those resistors and capacitors ?
Nothing, users with pasive cables (without those capacitors and resistors soldered inside) would get a perfect image, and users with cables having those capacitors and resistors soldered would get a darker image.

Hope this clears this complete no sense we have seen here the last two days ...

BTW, here are the videos :

Thanks

EDIT : Those are the youtube links, for some reason those wont play embebed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3sXzyPC0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10UhoCYmOig

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Incredible how difficult it was for people to just wait until you were able to provide the answer you said you would provide on Monday.

Thanks for the update.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Incredible how difficult it was for people to just wait until you were able to provide the answer you said you would provide on Monday.

Thanks for the update.

That's ok... I got rid of 3 n00bs this weekend... so it wasn't a wasted few days for me...

xROTx

PS. I did notice a German guy using a Russian email providor... with a spamlike username and email address....

Deleted with extreme prejudice...

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
That's ok... I got rid of 3 n00bs this weekend... so it wasn't a wasted few days for me...

xROTx

PS. I did notice a German guy using a Russian email providor... with a spamlike username and email address....

Deleted with extreme prejudice...

Well, I am not spam or intentionally trying to hide. Just the way my office has their stuff setup.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for the update, NeoSD. You made the right decision IMO.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Great job! I do see its a bit brighter, but it's certainly not the end of the world that some people were making out lol.

ProxyCell

n00b
As this uses a MD-2 connector, the HDRetrovision component cable will work with it just fine, correct?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
As this uses a MD-2 connector, the HDRetrovision component cable will work with it just fine, correct?

FFS... find out for yourself if your dumbass wire has resistors and stuff...

We're not an all information fuckin' service here... research for yourself... contact the company... etc etc...

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Now to avoid eventual future complaints ( i anticipate :D ),
for those with passive cables just add 75 ohms resistors in series with 220uf 16v capacitors like the schematic .

mega2.png

neosd

Neosd Developer
Now to avoid eventual future complaints ( i anticipate :D ),
for those with passive cables just add 75 ohms resistors in series with 220uf 16v capacitors like the schematic .

mega2.png

Yes, if your cable dosen´t has those resistors and capacitors, you will get image but it will be brighter

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Yes, if your cable dosen´t has those resistors and capacitors, you will get image but it will be brighter

In fact i'm not really sure about my future cable (not received yet), i ordered a low cost one from ebay and i suppose it will be passive , doesn't matter , i'll fit the cable to the situation .

neosd

Neosd Developer
In fact i'm not really sure about my future cable (not received yet), i ordered a low cost one from ebay and i suppose it will be passive , doesn't matter , i'll fit the cable to the situation .

Ours were from amazon and had the resistors and capacitors.

I asume there will be mixed results while buying those, its cheaper to build cables without the caps and resistors for sure. Not for the cost of the resistors and capacitors but cause the extra work to put those there