PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Thanks for the update and for being flexible, neosd. I think the choice you've made is going to save everyone a lot of confusion down the road.

Looking forward to getting my hands on this thing.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Back on track then with an unanswered question from earlier. Will there be any entertaining the support of .CCD files? It seems to be the one other prevalent uncompressed file format used on the interwebs.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Back on track then with an unanswered question from earlier. Will there be any entertaining the support of .CCD files? It seems to be the one other prevalent uncompressed file format used on the interwebs.

.CCD is not planned for the first firmware release, as there is little benefit of that format over .cue .

We have noticed some dumps that have .ccd and .cue files in them, and they work fine, the .img file of clonecd is readable with an appropiate .cue in those dumps.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
.CCD is not planned for the first firmware release, as there is little benefit of that format over .cue .

We have noticed some dumps that have .ccd and .cue files in them, and they work fine, the .img file of clonecd is readable with an appropiate .cue in those dumps.

Hmm..interesting. Apparently there is a ccd2cue program out there that may convert the ccd file to cue..that may be the answer. Will have to look into that. Thanks!

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

NightWolve

NEST Puppet

We have noticed some dumps that have .ccd and .cue files in them, and they work fine, the .img file of clonecd is readable with an appropriate .cue in those dumps.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. CloneCD has an option to write a CUE file, but it's off by default. If CCD pirates were smart, they made sure to turn it on to have that option. The .img file is technically the same track data as .bin, just that when you use the .CUE file, the .sub subchannel data file gets ignored which is needed for 1:1 duplication to defeat some copy protection schemes and for paranoid perfectionist pirates who won't accept anything less, heh.

Thanks for the update, NeoSD. You made the right decision IMO.

I dunno... If he produced a standard RGB signal prepped for a SCART cable, but changed his board significantly enough to remove said caps/resistors due to the popularity of a particular cable that added them inside for a Sega console, then it's not ideal to copy that issue for just those cable owners, but I get the justification of why he did so.

I would rather pester on encoding a HDMI signal for lag-free pure digital quality... I threw more CRT tubes out last year, they're heavy, they're hot, they X-ray you, etc., and I really love what LG has done with their IPS 4K panels, they're beautiful! If you got the change to spend, then their OLEDs are even better, no backlight, so pure blacks, pixel is either on or off!

Anyway, yeah, that would be on my wishlist for enhancements, tap the digital video signal for encoding to the HDMI standard. I know it's too late at this stage, but that's what I'd want to really tempt me into a purchase.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hmm..interesting. Apparently there is a ccd2cue program out there that may convert the ccd file to cue..that may be the answer. Will have to look into that. Thanks!

I've used that tool with varying degree of success when dealing with CCD images, so use it at your own risk and always keep a backup of the original image. If something ends up not working, it's highly likely the conversion is at fault.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I've used that tool with varying degree of success when dealing with CCD images, so use it at your own risk and always keep a backup of the original image. If something ends up not working, it's highly likely the conversion is at fault.

There is an easy way

Mount your desired image with daemon tools.

Dump it to bin/cue with imgburn

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
There is an easy way

Mount your desired image with daemon tools.

Dump it to bin/cue with imgburn
Neosd what do you think about bin+cue image from emuparadise compared to the one with multiple .bin from redump.org for example ?
is there any noticeable difference ? music quality or something else ....

neodev

Neosd Tech
Neosd what do you think about bin+cue image from emuparadise compared to the one with multiple .bin from redump.org for example ?
is there any noticeable difference ? music quality or something else ....

We have tried both formats and there is no difference (apart from a bug we had parsing the .cue files from redump.org, due to pregaps IIRC). The data should be identical, as both have uncompressed audio. The only difference is that all the tracks are in one big file, or separated in a file for each track, but data should be the same.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
We have tried both formats and there is no difference (apart from a bug we had parsing the .cue files from redump.org, due to pregaps IIRC). The data should be identical, as both have uncompressed audio. The only difference is that all the tracks are in one big file, or separated in a file for each track, but data should be the same.

Ok , thanks for the feedback neodev ;)

neosd

Neosd Developer

If neodev dosen´t minds, i will add that redump.org are verified dumps with crc32 database, this makes this preservation project so great.

Same dump is submited from more than one person and it gets verified.

Emuparadise dumps may come from elsewhere, so those dumps may not be correct cause they may get corrupted in any stage before those arrive at emuparadise.

BTW i am not saying emuparadise dumps are bad, but no one can be sure if those are good aswel.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I an tell you from experience that Emuparadise ISOs are all over the place when used on real hardware. There are just so many bad dumps on the internet, it's ridiculous. Personally I usually looked at ISOzone specifically for the more recent bin/cue files, those typically work perfectly. I wasn't aware of redump.org before this project though so that probably will be the way to go from now on.

That said, most of the issues with ISOs on real hardware is that the copied CD isn't a perfect 1:1 recreation of the original, which causes seek problems for the CD-ROM. This probably won't affect the SD3 at all and would work just fine.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
As long as the topic stays "General"... I think... I can live with it...

No linking as always...

xROTx

PS. IF some of you lads are in need... of let's say "HELP" in obtaining info about playing the new Neosd device... send me a PM or come into chat and I will talk to you about stuff...

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Will this device work with TruRip disc dumps? (CCD, IMG, SUB)

Already answered..Not in the initial release, however it will work if the IMG file also has a CUE file.

Regarding redump..they look to be a great resource, but they are missing a lot of games currently. Hopefully the SD3 will help the project get more complete.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
New question. Is the Hu Card of Populous supported properly? It apparently uses extra RAM. Not sure the specifics, but earlier iterations of the Everdrives had issues with it.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
New question. Is the Hu Card of Populous supported properly? It apparently uses extra RAM. Not sure the specifics, but earlier iterations of the Everdrives had issues with it.

Never heard about a HuCard with extra Ram, sounds interesting! With this device coming up, I'm glad I never picked up the pcengine everdrive. Hope something similar comes for the segaCD eventually :D

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Never heard about a HuCard with extra Ram, sounds interesting! With this device coming up, I'm glad I never picked up the pcengine everdrive. Hope something similar comes for the segaCD eventually :D

Upon further googling it utilizes a systems internal RAM (if it has it) in order to save games. The reason why it failed on earlier Everdrives is that they didn't have any RAM to store the game...so if you played the game on a CoreGrafx, SuperGrafx, etc without a CD attachment the game didn't work. Since the SD3 is a defacto CD attachment it probably works. Supposedly it is the only game that uses this arrangement.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm glad I never picked up the pcengine everdrive.

It's still worth buying, especially if you dont pick up an SSDS3 in the immediate future.

Playing CD games like this is a godsend, but the ED can keep you occupied until then.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's still worth buying, especially if you dont pick up an SSDS3 in the immediate future.

Playing CD games like this is a godsend, but the ED can keep you occupied until then.

I agree, plus it's the only solution for those who still have Duo's.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Upon further googling it utilizes a systems internal RAM (if it has it) in order to save games. The reason why it failed on earlier Everdrives is that they didn't have any RAM to store the game...so if you played the game on a CoreGrafx, SuperGrafx, etc without a CD attachment the game didn't work. Since the SD3 is a defacto CD attachment it probably works. Supposedly it is the only game that uses this arrangement.

Cool stuff, thanks for the explanation!

Thing is I was thinking about buying one just recently and then this showed up. Bought it straight away. Since my CD-Rom2 died this is just perfect ;)