PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

neodev

Neosd Tech
New question. Is the Hu Card of Populous supported properly? It apparently uses extra RAM. Not sure the specifics, but earlier iterations of the Everdrives had issues with it.

Yes, it does. It emulates the extra RAM in populous. Probably the first everdrives had issues because they were flash only?

The cart emulates the known hucard mappers: normal, populous (extra ram), sf2ce (larger rom with bankswitching), super cd system card (extra cd ram), arcade card (more extra ram) . It also has its own custom mapper for the menu so it can store the screenshots and also command the MCU to read the SD, scan directories, sort the gamelist, play music...

There was some debate about if the populous hucard had a battery to back the extra ram and use it for saves, or if it was just used as an expansion during game. It seems it doesn't have any battery or way to back it up. I tried saving it to the SD and it didn't make any difference, furthermore, if you have a CD attached, it will use the CD backup ram to store the progress, so I think it's not supposed to be kept between game runs.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The cart emulates the known hucard mappers: normal, populous (extra ram), sf2ce (larger rom with bankswitching), super cd system card (extra cd ram), arcade card (more extra ram) . It also has its own custom mapper for the menu so it can store the screenshots and also command the MCU to read the SD, scan directories, sort the gamelist, play music...

im-so-hard-right-now-thumb.jpg

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
There is an easy way

Mount your desired image with daemon tools.

Dump it to bin/cue with imgburn

Nice! Didn't know Daemon Tools were able to correctly load CloneCD images. Have to try it out someday.
Thanks for pointing this out.

haightc

n00b
Tried to order again, I don't even get a chance to enter CC info. Just getting an error that says duplicate order, I've tried deleting and re-adding it to my cart. I guess I'll give up for now, maybe I'll try again in few months or it'll be available from a US distributor at some point. Thanks for making an awesome product guys, I'll look forward to getting it at some point.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
(on turbo everdrive)

Or the handheld units.

Yeah, Turbo Everdrive is a great product, I got to play Batman [SunSoft] for the first time on my Turbo Express. :) That's after I had brought it back from the dead with a recap job, every cap had leaked bad!

Never went forward with the full 3.5" LCD mod some folks did. The ~$15 stock screens off eBay only worked off a Composite connection and re enabling that was quite messy after EE Steve Hanley discovered how. Still, the text on RPGs looks a helluva lot better with the mod, it's worth the trouble! A Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery mod would be good too.

That said, most of the issues with ISOs on real hardware is that the copied CD isn't a perfect 1:1 recreation of the original, which causes seek problems for the CD-ROM. This probably won't affect the SD3 at all and would work just fine.

It's easy to rule out damaged TOC/LBA offsets which will cause game crash bugs or lip sync issues during voice acting using popular emulators briefly.

Just mount the CD image and run an emulator like Magic Engine or Ootake which have internal databases of all original TOC/LBA data and IF they show a full title for the game like "Ys IV - The Dawn of Ys [J]" then the image is likely fine. My TurboRip app does this now too, scans all CD drives and shows detected titles.

Destructive rips like these were thanks to people who took ISO/MP3/CUE rips and converted them to BIN/CUE format rather than find someone with an original to rip it again... Very dumb, but it happened enough and rips like that got spread around...

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Yes, it does. It emulates the extra RAM in populous. Probably the first everdrives had issues because they were flash only?

There was some debate about if the populous hucard had a battery to back the extra ram and use it for saves, or if it was just used as an expansion during game. It seems it doesn't have any battery or way to back it up. I tried saving it to the SD and it didn't make any difference, furthermore, if you have a CD attached, it will use the CD backup ram to store the progress, so I think it's not supposed to be kept between game runs.

From what I’ve read online it was supposed to have a back-up battery in the hu-card, but they ditched it and just went with the internet back Cd unit saves instead

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
Try another BIN/CUE ripper like Alcohol, MagicISO, BinChunk, the old CDRWIN, etc. You could technically mount a CCD image with Daemon or Alcohol 52% and rip with CloneCD itself but make sure to check the option to write a CUE if all else fails. I've had ripping issues with ImgBurn on track analysis for PCE discs too as I recall...

Last edited:

TwinFami

n00b
Try another BIN/CUE ripper like Alcohol, MagicISO, BinChunk, the old CDRWIN, etc. You could technically mount a CCD image with Daemon or Alcohol 52% and rip with CloneCD itself but make sure to check the option to write a CUE if all else fails. I've had ripping issues with ImgBurn on track analysis for PCE discs too as I recall...

I'm starting to believe TruRip sucks. Three programs(MagicISO, UltraISO, Daemon Tools), all say invalid disc or image

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
Well, my app was made for ISO/WAV/CUE file per track style which is important for hacking/translation/mods, etc. and other benefits mentioned. Assuming this new system's CUE parser is fully compatible/developed, it should be able to handle it. Here's the latest, it's pretty good for command line:

http://www.ysutopia.net/software/TurboRip.zip

Now featuring Windows 7 support and amazing colored DOS text! ;)

Note: I regret I didn't add a BIN/CUE rip option though. It wouldn't take much to do so in the future some time when I can work on it again.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Well, my app was made for ISO/WAV/CUE file per track style which is important for hacking/translation/mods, etc. and other benefits mentioned. Assuming this new system's CUE parser is fully compatible/developed, it should be able to handle it. Here's the latest, it's pretty good for command line:

http://www.ysutopia.net/software/TurboRip.zip

Now featuring Windows 7 support and amazing colored DOS text! ;)

Note: I regret I didn't add a BIN/CUE rip option though. It wouldn't take much to do so in the future some time when I can work on it again.

I'm ripping my collection right now with TurboRip and IDE Plextor CDROM drive that I keep around for this sort of thing. Works perfectly. :glee:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Tried to order again, I don't even get a chance to enter CC info. Just getting an error that says duplicate order, I've tried deleting and re-adding it to my cart. I guess I'll give up for now, maybe I'll try again in few months or it'll be available from a US distributor at some point. Thanks for making an awesome product guys, I'll look forward to getting it at some point.

I spoke to Neosd and he's trying his best to get the banks to play ball....

The issue is with Credit Card payment limits set by his bank... which is reset every 24 hours but gets exceeded within a few hours of being reset by the bank...

The volume of sales has been high... it's an inconvenience... I appreciate that but my advice would be to keep trying or use a bank transfer...

xROTx

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

A kind user who's unfortunately unable to post here anymore told me that he had the same problem and fixed it by logging out and logging back in on neosdstore.com

Also, try clearing cookies and cache of your browser.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
A kind user who's unfortunately unable to post here anymore

WHO IS THIS MYSTERY PERSON!

told me that he had the same problem and fixed it by logging out and logging back in on neosdstore.com

Also, try clearing cookies and cache of your browser.

^^^

xROTx

TwinFami

n00b
I was told that my payment is fine, so that's one less thing to worry about. Just now waiting on it shipping.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I too had to straighten it out with the bank. I have PNC and luckily they called me and with a single phone prompt, I can approve the transaction and try it again successfully. So, if you plan on ordering, call your card company first to give them the heads up.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello everyone,

We have added the final barcode and changed the av output draw aswel.

So we have the final box art ready to subtimt to print.

Please, have a look and see if you guys can notice any mistakes or so before its too late :)

13-12-2017_sd_system_final_box.jpg

TwinFami

n00b
Hello everyone,

We have added the final barcode and changed the av output draw aswel.

So we have the final box art ready to subtimt to print.

Please, have a look and see if you guys can notice any mistakes or so before its too late :)

So I guess the Turbografx doesn't fit the proto shell?

neosd

Neosd Developer
So I guess the Turbografx doesn't fit the proto shell?

We still don´t know.

As soon as the shells arrive here we will know but before that we will show the final shells.

Better don´t put it than put it ....

Be patient please, as soon as we get any new info on any subject, we are going to keep you all updated