PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Amazing looking product. Holding off for the first post release reviews but definitely on my radar. I'm in awe how these guys come out with this stuff out of nowhere and it's just plainly far ahead of whatever competitors are doing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Might be a good time to ask, what american power supplies work with the Original White PCE and the Core Grafx?

Looks like the PCE uses Direct Current 9v 650mA.

Similar to many US power supplies, but they seem to use AC.

Perhaps I have a compatible PSU lying around with all these loose Genesis 1, and Sega CD model 2, and Trio's.

Some new PSU's readily available online, that provide clean power, might be better though.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Might be a good time to ask, what american power supplies work with the Original White PCE and the Core Grafx?

Looks like the PCE uses Direct Current 9v 650mA.

Similar to many US power supplies, but they seem to use AC.

Perhaps I have a compatible PSU lying around with all these loose Genesis 1, and Sega CD model 2, and Trio's.

Some new PSU's readily available online, that provide clean power, might be better though.

I'm using a replacement power supply for my Model 1 Genesis and Sega CD made by Retro Game Supply (trio model without 32X attached) that seems to work well. No A/V issues, doesn't run hot. They have one for the PC Engine:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/coll.../power-supply-for-nec-pc-engine-coregrafx-1-2

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Funny, I just ordered a SuperGrafx power supply from them a few minutes ago.

dl1955

n00b
On an ASIDE.... for all the non-weirdoe people who are looking to play the device... and are not so "tech orientated"...

I can supply you a "Link"...

You may PM me or come into chat... for the "Link"...

xROTx

PS. This is until I can think of a way to do this without getting my ass in trouble... because I forsee that we may have certain posts coming up that would involve the mod team to frown upon...

Thank you for your help Rot. :)

neosd

Neosd Developer
However, even if I mostly read the whole thread I found little to zero discussion about compatibility, which I believe it's a key subject, so let me ask -- do you expect some issues being reported with the time once the people extensively play the CD games (I mean proper ROM images, if that thing actually exists or can be done) or are you confident enough in your own tests? I guess firmware updates are not discarded for this matter?

I'm thinking in Rhea/Phoebe for the Sega Saturn, for instance -- another amazing device but sadly, it's not 100 %-compatible, though the author kindly listened to the userbase and many issues were solved little by little.

Also, this may sound like a silly request, but could an option to simulate the original CD reading/access times be possible? Many people who never had a CD-ROM-ROM system may be interested in knowing how exactly were those originally and in emulating the experience as close as possible at some point. Just wondering, anyway.

We have tried a huge lot of games and we haven´t seen any issues on the actual firmware, but yes we expect issues to come as the catalog is huge so this makes impossible to play each game from start to end.

As in neosd we can update both fpga and arm by firmware update, so we will fix any issue it may show and we will submit a firmware update if needed.

About simulating the original CD reading/access speeds?
I don´t think this makes any sense, whats the point about making load times larger ? thats the only difference you will find with the cd drive.

Thanks

Last edited:

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
hi guys, just to recap. It is necessary an RGB cable for Megadrive 2 and it is really important that this cable has capacitors and resistors, like this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead

Am I right? With shipping cost that cable is really expensive (30£!!!!); I know a guy who builds scart RGB cables here in Italy, he can build what I need, but it is cheaper. Can you tell me all the correct informations for the RGB cable? So I will tell him to build it exactly with right specifications.

thanks!

neodev

Neosd Tech
hi guys, just to recap. It is necessary an RGB cable for Megadrive 2 and it is really important that this cable has capacitors and resistors, like this: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega-mega-drive-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead

Am I right? With shipping cost that cable is really expensive (30£!!!!); I know a guy who builds scart RGB cables here in Italy, he can build what I need, but it is cheaper. Can you tell me all the correct informations for the RGB cable? So I will tell him to build it exactly with right specifications.

thanks!

Please, wait a few days, we are deciding if removing the AC coupling from the cart and use a proper MD2/genesis2 cable or leaving it as is and using a passive cable. We'll have a decision in a couple of days.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
If making it 100% compatible with MD2 cables would enable me to use HD Retrovision's cable, that I already own, then I'm for. For all I know, though, it's already compatible, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

X68

n00b
Please, wait a few days, we are deciding if removing the AC coupling from the cart and use a proper MD2/genesis2 cable or leaving it as is and using a passive cable. We'll have a decision in a couple of days.

It's your party, make them whatever spec you want - as yourselves said before the mini din is just a connector.
I've contacted www.retrogamingcables.co.uk the chap there is very helpful and can supply passive cables with the md2 din plug, their cables are top notch.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug

Sure! I will wait your feedback in order to buy the right cable :)

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Regarding the passive cable situation does anyone know what the DB GrafxBooster does to handle this:

https://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/

I know it is compatible with stock genesis cables and the HD Retrovision cables. Since I would imagine some of us will be switching out from solutions such as this, it would be optimal to use a similar standard.

Either way, I'm excited for the product..already looking to rip my CDs in preparation.

Speaking of ripping and formats. Are there any plans to supports the Clone CD format? I know there is a debate out there on which format is "better" for PC Engine Games and different groups use different formats. Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't find it in my search.

Last edited:

Recap

Zero's Secretary
We have tried a huge lot of games and we haven´t seen any issues on the actual firmware, but yes we expect issues to come as the catalog is huge so this makes impossible to play each game from start to end.

As in neosd we can update both fpga and arm by firmware update, so we will fix any issue it may show and we will submit a firmware update if needed.

About simulating the original CD reading/access speeds?
I don´t think this makes any sense, whats the point about making load times larger ? thats the only difference you will find with the cd drive.

Thanks

No, thank you for your answer.

The point is accuracy. Some people do like this approach, obviously just as an option for eventual testing. Like it or not, reading/access lapses were part of the experience. And you never know -- that may help with some possible bugs which may happen due to unexpected access times.

After re-reading a bit the posts regarding the cable issue and learning that you're still in time to make this kind of changes and even re-thinking the whole thing before production, I'd like to ask if 75-ohm C-sync output (against TTL-level) is still possible. I understand why you went with TTL C-sync -- it's the natural, traditional way from a technical standpoint. However, C-sync on RGB TV sets is becoming the defacto solution in Europe for CRT enthusiasts now the subject is getting more popular. Even most people using scan converters will need 75-ohm C-sync, and that's not just "Europe".

That way, a passive cable will do for any monitor. I'm sure some shops will start to sell these if they aren't already, given that your device is popular enough and those are easy to make. In other words, you wouldn't need to include a cable with your device since most people will demand a high-quality cable and you can't make everybody happy. For those expecting to use their remaining MD2 C-sync cables on this... I don't know, how many of you are there?

Just my opinion, if it serves!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Regarding the passive cable situation does anyone know what the DB GrafxBooster does to handle this:

https://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/

I know it is compatible with stock genesis cables and the HD Retrovision cables. Since I would imagine some of us will be switching out from solutions such as this, it would be optimal to use a similar standard.

Either way, I'm excited for the product..already looking to rip my CDs in preparation.

Speaking of ripping and formats. Are there any plans to supports the Clone CD format? I know there is a debate out there on which format is "better" for PC Engine Games and different groups use different formats. Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't find it in my search.

I have this device already so it would be awesome if the cable I already have for it works.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
For me this cable story is not really a problem,
I ordered a passive cable, if it appears later that some more components are needed , then I'll take my soldering iron to add some resistors or capacitors....

If you talk about C-sync, TTL-level , ohms , signal level or anything like that you should have a soldering iron at home and the skill to fix it !
(according neosd recommendations of course)

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
For me this cable story is not really a problem,
I ordered a passive cable, if it appears later that some more components are needed , then I'll take my soldering iron to add some resistors or capacitors....

If you talk about C-sync, TTL-level , ohms , signal level or anything like that you should have a soldering iron at home and the skill to fix it !

Yeah that's the opposite of what we are talking about. 99% of people don't understand it and want cables that just work. If the box says "uses MD2" cables then the expectation is that standard MD2 cables work.

neosd

Neosd Developer
If the box says "uses MD2" cables then the expectation is that standard MD2 cables work.

There is an easy way to solve that and it will fix the issue in a seccond : we just put the pinout of the connector on the box and we are all happy, you just make your cable or ask anyone else to make it. End of the story

BUT we want to give the best solution as far as possible.

We know we are not going to have everyone happy. But hey! this happens to us just cause we like to talk with our customers and not do whatever we want without asking about.

I wonder if anyone asks sony about the custom connector they use on theyr cosnoles or if sony would listen about that.

RESUMING :
We haven´t took a decision.
We know wathever decision we will take, someone will come complaining cause this is how we human beings are. We love to complain about things.

We will take one of those two solutions and we will move forward, people will continue to complain and life will continue.

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
There is an easy way to solve that and it will fix the issue in a seccond : we just put the pinout of the connector on the box and we are all happy, you just make your cable or ask anyone else to make it. End of the story

We know we are not going to have everyone happy. But hey! this happens to us just cause we like to talk with our customers and not do whatever we want without asking about.

I wonder if anyone asks sony about the custom connector they use on theyr cosnoles or if sony would listen about that.

RESUMING :
We know wathever decision we will take, someone will come complaining cause this is how we human beings are. We love to complain about things.

We will take one of those two solutions and we will move forward, people will continue to complain and life will continue.

What a mess with those cables boys gang!:lolz:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

WELL... the lads always like to complain... the guys who regularly contribute here... like it and are supportive...

It seems we have a section of less "active" members who wish to make an issue out of what most of us don't even think is an issue...

Like Shell gate last time... we have dumb RGB gate this time...

Not to worry... I've got an eye on everything..:)

xROTx

PS. Tard's will always be tards... however... I have a cure...

neosd

Neosd Developer
What a mess with those cables boys gang!:lolz:

Yes, people can keep discussing about that,

I want my car red, i want mine blue, make mine with 5 doors, i want it with 6 lights

We got pretty clear everyone here wants a different thing, totaly pasive cable or 100% gen2 spec.

We are not Solomon, we can´t get the child and split it in two parts. So we will do what we think its better and will move along, either way some guys will be upset.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

RESUMING :

Your right. Just like that guy complaining about the AV connection being in the back because his shelves aren't deep enough. No matter what you do you will never make everyone happy.

These guys are confusing me with all this rgb cable talk about resistors and ohms and all this nerd shit that I don't know nothing about.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Your right. Just like that guy complaining about the AV connection being in the back because his shelves aren't deep enough. No matter what you do you will never make everyone happy.

These guys are confusing me with all this rgb cable talk about resistors and ohms and all this nerd shit that I don't know nothing about.

RAZO... all you need to know... is... get the product... and then use a MD 2 lead...

Neosd has tested his out... over the past few months.. works fine....

These so called "MD 2" Brat pack are just about to get War room locked....

xROTx

PS. I would say it's a warning lads... but some of you wanna push it and see if I'm going to blink...

I'd suggest you MD 2 Cable guys who haven't contributed here in recent years to Look at my track record... and see if I do indeed... Blink..:keke:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
RAZO... all you need to know... is... get the product... and then use a MD 2 lead...

Neosd has tested his out... over the past few months.. works fine....

These so called "MD 2" Brat pack are just about to get War room locked....

xROTx

PS. I would say it's a warning lads... but some of you wanna push it and see if I'm going to blink...

I'd suggest you MD 2 Cable guys who haven't contributed here in recent years to Look at my track record... and see if I do indeed... Blink..:keke:

Thanks Bro. I mean that's initially what I thought. Take my Current MD2 RGB cable that I use and plug it into the Super Sd System, simple enough. Everything was all good till the cable gang started talking about passive, resistors, ohms. Started to make me 2nd guess if I need to buy another cable for this to work.