Mega Man 11

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The only thing that bothers me is that there is a brief delay when you change directions. Walking animation seemed off as well, but it's no big deal and I stopped noticing it after a while.

The demo is also available on ps4 / xb1 btw.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The boss doors act weird. Instead of getting sucked into the room when you jump into the gate it drops you down and forces you to walk in.

oof, a 30 year tradition done away with, whyyyyy

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Played a bunch of this last night. I like it, so far. They were able to get a good Mega Man 2D feeling out of the 3D art.

There are a few things that bug me a bit:
- The levels feel a tad too long. There have been multiple times I thought the stage is coming to an end, from a pacing perspective, then they'd slap on a whole other section that seems to go on a bit too long.
- Charged buster shots seems very under-powered. This could be to leverage the Double Gear system, but still, it seems like they toned it down too much
- Power Gear's Charged Shot is the only real reason to use Power Gear. Normal Power Gear shots only add 1 extra shot on the screen than your regular buster shots, and it doesn't seem to be that much more in damage. Using Speed Gear + regular buster shots is more effective than going into Power Gear.
- In fact, the game seems tuned more for utilizing Speed Gear more than Power. I haven't encountered any instances that I absolutely needed to use Power Gear, but Speed seems to have a lot more utility throughout the game. Perhaps this will change when I get to Wily's end stanges...
- Ladder climbing isn't smooth like it used to be. There's this weird staggered pace to climbing ladders that threw me off the first time I saw it. I wish they stuck to the smooth climb like the original games.
- Item purchases make this game way too easy. In normal difficulty you can easily buy everything you'd need to zerg-rush a stage. This is mainly due to an overabundance of Screws (currency) available for picking up throughout the stages. But, on Superhero difficulty most, if not all currency and free-life pickups are removed. Seems like Superhero difficulty is the mode to play if you're not a filthy casual.
- English voice-overs are annoying af.

Other than these little annoyances, the game feels pretty good as an addition to the classic series. I got it on pre-order through Amazon before they pulled their pre-order discount...so the < $30 price tag made it an easy purchase.

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
Just a heads up, you can get the Mega Man 30th Anniversary Bundle (includes 11 + Mega Man X Collection 1-2 + Mega Man Legacy Collection 1-2 ) for $60. Not a bad deal.

As for 11, I really like it and have been playing on superhero difficulty first to kinda stretch things out. Controls are good/tight, not quite as speedy as some of the games in the X series, but definitely a bit faster paced for the main series. Speed gear is cool, I feel like the difficulty has been cranked up in general so the slow-down effect isn't something that breaks the game or oversimplifies it. I'm not usually a fan of 2.5D graphics, but I feel like they hit the mark with 11 in a general sense. One thing tho and maybe I haven't played enough, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of secrets or optional things to do, it's very much what you see is what you get. I guess you could make an argument for achievements filling that void, and I'll likely replay to get all of those, but I prefer actual in-game stuff like the hidden capsules, heart tanks, etc from X and others.

So yeah, solid effort from Capcom and a good base for the series going forward.

My hopes for 12:

- Improve some of the designs, maybe make things a bit more stylized.
- Incorporate more collectibles, secret areas, alternate level routes, alt endings, etc.
- Greater level variety - I guess this one I could either take or leave, but if the level gimmicks were executed well then I wouldn't mind seeing some.
- Maybe consider making Wily Tower into a Metroid-style layout. You add an extra wrinkle to the Mega Man formula while still maintaining the linear 8 stage layout for the robot masters, everybody wins.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
- Maybe consider making Wily Tower into a Metroid-style layouts.

Yeah, no. Keep stupid new ideas relegated to side games and the classic formula for the main series. Mega Man is a series of tradition.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
- Maybe consider making Wily Tower into a Metroid-style layout. You add an extra wrinkle to the Mega Man formula while still maintaining the linear 8 stage layout for the robot masters, everybody wins.
Absolutely no. This is a terrible suggestion. Turning any part of Mega Man into a Metroid style level is blasphemous to the series.

Why does every game have to be a metroidvania? This trend is getting old fast.

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
:-(

Doesn't have to be full-fledged Metroidvania. Just the tower!

New plan, Tower stays (mostly) linear (backtracking-free at least ), but you go through it all at once and depending on how well you do or don't do, you might fall in Wily's trash compactor or something if you miss a jump and then progress from there. So basically like how Rondo of Blood was.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
dude just, just stop

Anything new goes into a side-series. Mega Man Zero tried a kind of Metroid thing, it was a fantastic game, but true fans don't want to see the classic formula changed for the main series.

JRedmond3

NEST Puppet
K, I'll wave the white flag then.

So what's the threshold for which tweaks are acceptable for the main series? Light gameplay changes like the double gear system?

I can appreciate not wanting to necessarily re-invent the wheel like I've read some reviews suggesting, but I don't think adding a bit more depth would hurt. 6 dabbled with branching paths so it's not like there isn't a precedent for that.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
All this Mega Man talk got me watching a longplay of the Wonderswan Rockman and Forte. All new stages and bosses but kept the same fantastic music. One stage even has the gamer turn the handheld sideways because it's a vertical level, very cool idea.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Am I the only one having problems with ledges? 2D Megaman Games I have no problem with but lining up the Megaman model with the edge to make hard jumps in this one is more difficult for me, I think because the way the backgrounds pseudo 3D shape is made. Kinda like what made the Crash remake harder.

Enjoying it though!

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Am I the only one having problems with ledges? 2D Megaman Games I have no problem with but lining up the Megaman model with the edge to make hard jumps in this one is more difficult for me, I think because the way the backgrounds pseudo 3D shape is made. Kinda like what made the Crash remake harder.

Enjoying it though!

I had that issue as well. As if there's a bit of lag when jumping.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I beat Spark man and Bounce Man so far, but I havent really spent much time on it. I can't stand Bounce man's stage with the annoying ass balloons everywhere. He was an easy fight though. Someone mentioned the levels being a tad long and I agree. Bounce Man's stage was like "FUCK another one of those damn shoot-the-hand-and-get-smacked-to-the-other-platform rooms." Can we get to a boss already.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I've been playing this a few hours this week on Switch. So far I like it.

On Normal difficulty the challenge seems just right, as long as you don't load up on E-Tanks and extra men. I have made it a point to not buy these items, and have found the stages to be a little difficult. Like I played all of them 3 or 4 times before beating them. I've actually only finished 3 stages at this point. Some stages I have been unable to even make it to the boss after several attempts.

The stages are very long as mentioned earlier. They seem to be broken up in to 3 sections, and then a 4th boss section.

I personally like the art style of the game, and the music isn't awful, but could be better. I also am not to fond of the boss designs.

Nothing will ever top Mega Man 2. So just get those expectations out of your head. Just enjoy the game for what it is.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The first Mega Man and Mega Man & Bass are better.

I've actually never played mega man and bass. I need to get on that. 1st mega man i ever played was the first one, but I prefer 2. I can see how someone would like 1 more though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mega Man & Bass is a fantastic game, a real swansong for the SNES and fans of Mega Man, as after that the series would focus on X until the incredibly amateur Mega Man 9 that people ate up because it looked like the NES games from 20 years before.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
mega man 9 was good though.

is hating on mega man 2 is new hip thing to do?

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
mm2 doesn't have animal helpers either and mm1 had the magnet beam which basically acted like a helper.