I have made a LED mini marquee system and want to share.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Why is that? The customer portion or the actual assembly work?

Everything on the assembly is super fiddly and time consuming and then the testing also takes time and has to be completed before I glue the panels together. The customers are the opposite and everyone has been super friendly and helpful especially the 4 people who helped me test and workout all the fine details.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I completely understand that. Glad the customer aspect has been friendly for you. That at least makes it more palatable in my eyes.

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
Awesome work here. I have new EL panels that I never got around to installing...expensive too. This is a much better solution. Will check cab specifications and fill out the web form later on. Thanks!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Kit arrived yesterday. Going to work on it tonight and tomorrow evening. Will report back with pics. Perfect timing too as I'm beginning to wrap up my restore.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
UPDATE: I have 6 control boards and 38 LED PCB left. I want to thank everyone that placed orders and I look forward to seeing the installs.

If you showed interest and have not received any emails from me please check for spam a lot of people are not seeing my emails, but it's been a few weeks since I sent the last ones so I am now happy to sell these last 6 kits to anyone that wants one. PM me for details.

ratsflif

n00b
UPDATE: I have 6 control boards and 38 LED PCB left. I want to thank everyone that placed orders and I look forward to seeing the installs.

If you showed interest and have not received any emails from me please check for spam a lot of people are not seeing my emails, but it's been a few weeks since I sent the last ones so I am now happy to sell these last 6 kits to anyone that wants one. PM me for details.

I would like to get a set for my 4 slot but for some reason I cannot PM you. Please send a pm with your email.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I ordered 100 more LED PCB and also 10 new version 2 control boards. This does not mean I can do another 100 led panels because of how many of the light guides I have left but at least I can use them all up and decide if I want to order again.
The V2 control board uses a single darlington array and I also added space for a 5v > 12v step up board so no more messing about with taking 12v from the PSU as long as you have the original ELA data cable.
I also updated the software on the Arduino so the test button now does this.

When it boots up it runs the panel test and then waits for the neo geo to tell it what panel to display

pressing the button moved through each test more.

1. set all panels on and allows you to set the brightness levels.
2. turn off all panels to check for any bleed through issues on the mosfets.
3. test each panel one at a time pressing the button to change panels.
4. Show the incoming BCD data from the Neo Geo. LEDS 2 and 3 change off, off = panel 1. on, off = panel 2. off, on = panel 3. on, on = panel 4 this also works on the 6 slot.
5. return to normal mode.

The current boards I am making will have this and if anyone that already has a board wants to update I would be happy to send the code and you can just program the arduino as normal.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I just finished installing the kit about an hour ago, and it's working like a champ. Amazing stuff Lee. You've achieved what so many others have failed at. It looks amazing and I'm on cloud nine.

One minor complaint is that some of the marquees don't fit (just barely), so I had to place one side in the slot, and leave the other side on top. Still looks fine and you can't tell any difference when the lid is closed.

Also, I'd recommend using a different color wire for the power, as it matched one of the LED panels. One extra thing to idiot proof.

Last edited:

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I just finished installing the kit about an hour ago, and it's working like a champ. Amazing stuff Lee. You've achieved what so many others have failed at. It looks amazing and I'm on cloud nine.

One minor complaint is that some of the marquees don't fit (just barely), so I had to place one side in the slot, and leave the other side on top. Still looks fine and you can't tell any difference when the lid is closed.

Also, I'd recommend using a different color wire for the power, as it matched one of the LED panels. One extra thing to idiot proof.

Hi, Thanks for the comments, I have 8 mini marquee and they all fit so this was my base for the design, I imagine they are all cut a little different and also 3d printing can also change from one print to another. Was it just the initial part that they would fit into I have found once they go past that it's ok and I just bend the middle while putting them in. So did I use yellow on one of the panels as well as the 12v ?

Lee

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I didn't see it on the site, maybe I missed it, but what is the price for the kits?

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I didn't see it on the site, maybe I missed it, but what is the price for the kits?

it's not on the site, I am treating as mail order.

I need to know the following.
1. cab style
2.what psu you have.
3. do you have any of the original EL parts, specifically the MVS_ELA control board and data cable.
4. county

I can then work out what you need and the cost.

Lee

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana

can I see some pictures of your install :)