I have made a LED mini marquee system and want to share.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
please take a look at my video showing the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsU03RMnzms

I have worked on this for a while and I am sure I have everything in the final stages. The only part is the actual panels and I am 3d printing them at the moment so they take a while to print, but until I know I need a large quantity it would be hard to get them made.

I am looking for some help testing this in a 2 or 4 slot cabinet, ideally in the uk or europe so can anyone help me out, I would send you a kit free if you can.

[update] So far I have measurements from a 6 slot (5.5mm) , 4 slot big red (10mm) and a normal 4 slot with no speakers (3mm). the cabinets without speakers and just a normal marquee only have enough room for the EL panels so it means the front marquee will need to sit a little further forward than it does at the moment.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
very nice, thanks for sharing! are you planning to sell it? :)

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
yes I am planning to have them for sale. it just depends on how much interest I get to see if I should find someone to make the panels for me or carry on 3d printing them in small numbers. I have suppliers for the light guide plastics and have the led pcb design waiting to be made, I just need to be 100% sure the depth of my panel will work in all cabinets. I know if I went to a company and asked them to make the panel it would be thinner than I can 3d 3d print, but it would need to be made in a large number to get a good price and I dont want to commit at the moment.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
This looks pretty cool. Can't wait to see the final product.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Nice looking. I may even be motivated to repair my 4 slot mini marquee with this solution.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Awesome looking solution. I'd love to help test a 4 slot kit, but am in Canada. Would gladly pay shipping tho.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Looks great! I'd love to put this setup in my 4 Slot cab once you get to selling them.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I may be interested in a 4 slot version. Depending on the price, of course.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Thanks for all interest, I have started to source parts to make 80 panels and this should be enough to get things moving in this early stage. I have a rough price of £10 per panel, the control board could be brought fully assembled ready to go or as a kit so price could vary, but wont be too much. Not sure what import fee's you will have on top.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Thanks for all interest, I have started to source parts to make 80 panels and this should be enough to get things moving in this early stage. I have a rough price of £10 per panel, the control board could be brought fully assembled ready to go or as a kit so price could vary, but wont be too much. Not sure what import fee's you will have on top.

Awesome news! Seems like a good price, considering that they're custom made. Keep us updated on these! I'd love to know how much it would be for a 4 slot set with a pre-assembled control board shipped to California.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Awesome news! Seems like a good price, considering that they're custom made. Keep us updated on these! I'd love to know how much it would be for a 4 slot set with a pre-assembled control board shipped to California.

I would say with shipping around £100 plus any import fee's at your end for 4 x panels, the control board and various install hardware.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Also interested. Been really keen to get something like this for my 6-slot and 4-slot. Haven't seen anything viable since EvilEmuOfDoom had a working prototype, then disappeared a few years back.

Ideally, the easier and more idiot-proof it is to install, the better.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Also interested. Been really keen to get something like this for my 6-slot and 4-slot. Haven't seen anything viable since EvilEmuOfDoom had a working prototype, then disappeared a few years back.

Ideally, the easier and more idiot-proof it is to install, the better.

This is super easy to install, take a look at the video, I tried to make is as easy as possible with no cutting or soldering of the wires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsU03RMnzms

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Yup, which looks great and fairly simple.

What I'm thinking for the final product, for example, is to put a mark or a notch on the connector with the ground on it so that folks won't put it in backwards. Stuff like that. ;)

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Yup, which looks great and fairly simple.

What I'm thinking for the final product, for example, is to put a mark or a notch on the connector with the ground on it so that folks won't put it in backwards. Stuff like that. ;)

If I can find the same connector used on the original wire it has the key on the top. I just used parts I can get easy to make sure it works.

I've been the perfect idiot to test Lee's system. Fortunately Lee found an easy way to draw power from the original PSU. This made it real easy to get the whole kit working. If it works for me, I'm sure it works for you as well, Fygee.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi Guys, someone has taken time to send me a video of there 4 slot cabinet and it's the one with the simple marquee and no speakers at the top. In this cabinet style it looks like I only have 3mm of space to work with. I can make my panel thinner by removing the mini marquee holder as it's part of the main marquee so this gets me down to 4.5 - 5mm range. How would you feel if you have to just use some spacers and also adjust the top and bottom marquee brackets to fit my panels.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
good news, I have measurements from a big read with speakers and it will fit into that with no trouble at all.