I have made a LED mini marquee system and want to share.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana

so the other guy was correct, there is more than enough space to fit my 5mm panel and also keep the original plastic marquee holder if you want in this style of cabinet. Thanks, I am gathering parts to build up the panels and I will have another video showing installation in a mvs 4 upright that does not have the speakers in the top like this. I think I will then have enough data to say my 5mm panel is going to be fine and start to get in touch with people who have shown interest.

IGDetail

n00b
so the other guy was correct, there is more than enough space to fit my 5mm panel and also keep the original plastic marquee holder if you want in this style of cabinet. Thanks, I am gathering parts to build up the panels and I will have another video showing installation in a mvs 4 upright that does not have the speakers in the top like this. I think I will then have enough data to say my 5mm panel is going to be fine and start to get in touch with people who have shown interest.

If your light panel is only 5mm thick, I'll probably use some plastic offset spacers so that I can totally strip everything off the wood speaker panel and bring the panels close enough to the marquee door panel.

Just a thought - it would be nice if you had a single bracket (I'm thinking a plate behind the 4 panels in my case) that would keep each panel exactly separated for a specific cabinet style. That way it's only ~4 holes to drill and screw and no worry about lining each panel up exactly.

Never mind, I thought about this more and I can simply do this with a separate wood panel that I'll attach to the current panel. In fact, I think I can do it without any new screw holes. I'll just use some offset clips. I look forward to the final product!

Last edited:

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
If your light panel is only 5mm thick, I'll probably use some plastic offset spacers so that I can totally strip everything off the wood speaker panel and bring the panels close enough to the marquee door panel.

Just a thought - it would be nice if you had a single bracket (I'm thinking a plate behind the 4 panels in my case) that would keep each panel exactly separated for a specific cabinet style. That way it's only ~4 holes to drill and screw and no worry about lining each panel up exactly.

Never mind, I thought about this more and I can simply do this with a separate wood panel that I'll attach to the current panel. In fact, I think I can do it without any new screw holes. I'll just use some offset clips. I look forward to the final product!

my panel is made to be the width as the old el panel so you just need to get the first one in the correct place and the rest should follow. A paper template was suggested so that is something I could do. Making anything for backing all 4 panels and sending that in the post from the uk would be super expensive.

IGDetail

n00b
The local hardware store sells kit wood panels, I plan on using that as a backer and then using the current cabinet screw-downs for the original marquee panel to hold it in place. I shouldn't really have to drill any new holes.

Prusin

n00b
Really great job! I have been wanting something like this for awhile. I would definitely be interested in a 4 slot set with the pre-assembled control board once I see the installation video in a 4 slot without the speakers up top to make sure I can install this without issue on mine at home.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Really great job! I have been wanting something like this for awhile. I would definitely be interested in a 4 slot set with the pre-assembled control board once I see the installation video in a 4 slot without the speakers up top to make sure I can install this without issue on mine at home.

The kit is with the usps so he should have it this week. I am not sure when he will make the video, but from our testing with a dummy panel we know the only issue is the space at the very top of the marquee is smaller than the bottom. He thinks adjusting the metal marquee holder with free up a little space will fix that.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I also made a arduino based credit board.

Photo 12-01-2018 11 37 53.jpg
Photo 12-01-2018 11 38 01.jpg

I should have a video showing installation in a upright 4 soon. We are about half way through the install. My leds arrived today so I can make a start to build some more panels.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
The leds I ordered came in so I started to assemble the led pcb's.

Photo 13-01-2018 16 29 25.jpg
Photo 13-01-2018 16 34 10.jpg

I also made up a power lead for peter chou psu's
Photo 13-01-2018 15 01 05.jpg

to go with the hantarex lead
Power cable.JPG

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Guys, I have a new install video for the mvs-4 upright style cabinets thanks to That Tim Guy on youtube.
This weekend I am prepping a kit for a big red and a 2 slot upright that has no el panel system at all, just a back light so that will be a good install.

Please watch the video and thank Tim for taking the time to document the install of the kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3f7qOLs3-c

I have solutions to the led lights showing through the main marquee and also the correct power lead for the peter chou power supply.

Last edited:

IGDetail

n00b
Looking really good, thank you Tim for the thorough video - can't wait to get this into my cabinet!

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I am working on a website for this kit with install instructions ect. I am not sure if I will use a webshop or just stick to mail order for the moment. If you want to be on the list for the first batch fill out the form on my normal business website and I will start to take some details.

http://www.sequence-systems.co.uk

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
A quick update, I have the last two test kits on the way and should be arriving in the next few days, these are for a 2 slot upright that is missing the el panel system and then a big red. As soon as these are installed and I am happy we can start to look at taking orders. I do have a list of everyone that has shown interest so I will be getting back to you as soon as I am ready.

This is what I am working on at the moment.

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info

It has full install instructions, links to videos and also panel templates. I will also setup a page to start the order process, but I am going to do it mail order style so you can choose what you have, what you need and I will then put together a quote with shipping ect. This way I can make sure you get the best setup for your cabinet and we can work out any problems before the order is placed. I am also going to put together a order for mini marquee printed by Arcade Art Shop in the uk if you're missing any and want them sent with the kit.

So far I have enough interest for half of the panels I can make so I am happy to keep moving forward.

Lee

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
We are working on the big red install and thanks to noir, First I modelled the marquee section

big red model 1.png

and then built is so I can test panel placement.
Photo 04-02-2018 12 37 51.jpg

We have found that the space is larger than all other cabs and that we need to bring the panels forward quite a bit so they sit flush againts the front marquee if you dont use the old panel holder. I am working on a few idea to see what is the best option.
The MVS 2 slot install is also in progress and I should have an update later this week.

On a positive point I actually send out the very first order to a paying customer who has a 6 slot cab like the first one so I was happy to take his order. As soon as we cover the last two test kits I will get in touch with everyone else.

Last edited:

IGDetail

n00b
I had planned on attaching the four light panels to a hobby board before attaching the board to my big red cab. In fact, I like this option more than attaching the lights individually to the current panel because I can always remove the whole thing at one time in the future if I need to revert to original. This will also allow me to make sure that the panels are lined up properly before attaching the hobby board to the panel board.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Submitted a message on your site for interest (Jerrad).

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Submitted a message on your site for interest (Jerrad).

thanks, I will add you to the list

can you tell me what style the cabs are. is the 6 slot 3 x 2 or 1 x 6 and the 4 slot a mvs upright or big red with the speakers

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I had planned on attaching the four light panels to a hobby board before attaching the board to my big red cab. In fact, I like this option more than attaching the lights individually to the current panel because I can always remove the whole thing at one time in the future if I need to revert to original. This will also allow me to make sure that the panels are lined up properly before attaching the hobby board to the panel board.

Everything is looking good so far. I made a few options yesterday to bring the panels forward, it's just making sure the black border is not visible.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana

do you want to print this and tell me how it lines up with your cab. no need to cut the gaps between the pages, just remove the blank space around the outside.

http://www.neogeoledmarquee.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/big-red-template-letter.pdf

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
The link is down, did you want me to try this today?

dont worry, they took the domain down because i removed my contact email to stop all the spammers trying to sell me shit. it will be back up soon. I am going to see a big red tomorrow (sunday) so should have all the details I need after