World Cup 2018... OFFICIAL THREAD....

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The penalty call was complete bullshit. Glad England were able to pull out a well deserved victory.

It was a soft penalty for sure but it was also unnecessary. Finishing wasn't what it should be, otherwise we'd be talking about a great 4/5 goal win. All in all nervy but creative.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
All in all nervy but creative.

Fitting description... it reminded me of Brazil vs Switzerland: great first twenty minutes and a whole painful rest. Take Kane out and it's unsatisfying. What I liked best was the excellent use of set pieces, though. Corner kicks, free kicks, deep or straight balls etc. were all put to very effective use. If "creative" means going back to such basics, then there's more than hope for a success.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Germany - Mexico was a good match, maybe not from a German fan perspective... it showed a glaring lack of Kampfgeist on our part, our lads looked unorganised, specially the defense part. They gave Mexico way too much room to built up their game which inevitably led to fast counters and a goal that could have been easily prevented. I just hope that this was the wakeup call they needed, because this isn't chit-chat friendly matches anymore, it's WC, ladies and gentlemen, so please get yer shit together.

Damn straight.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
I'm feeling like a seer...
Floretino's trading with Tottenham a sad Bale for a happy Kane
Who bets against me?

P.D: Poland doesn't deserve to win any point against Senegal

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, Russia - Egypt was nice, now let's see how Russia will perform against Uruguay, this will be the touchstone game.

I found Poland's game unorganised and bland with little foresight, seen them do way better. Make no mistake, tho, Senegal are difficult to play due to their physical prowess and well-oiled defense. Poland's next opponent will be Columbia, looking forward to it.

Too bad I couldn't watch Columbia - Japan, looked quite good from the few scenes I've seen from it.

...and of course there's loads of talk about our lost first match against Mexico. Our next opponent will be Sweden who have some gifted players, won't be easy. In an interview, Manuel Neuer said sorry for the fumble and announced that we will win the next two... well roar'd, lion!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Too bad I couldn't watch Columbia - Japan, looked quite good from the few scenes I've seen from it.

It was one of the few real surprises of this WC so far. The early red card of the Columbian defender for preventing a goal with his hand, and the thereof resulting lead for the Japanese team, put the whole game for the Columbians into a series of bad decisions. The equalizer was great, but at the end, playing with only ten ushered another goal for the Japanese. It wasn't a good game, but the surprises made up for it.

Our next opponent will be Sweden who have some gifted players, won't be easy.

Sweden has an extremely good defense, but if put under constant pressure, it may break. In my opinion, it would be a mistake to play aggressively, like the South Koreans did. It would just wear us out. The key feature should be steady and stabilized attack patterns from both sides with accurate centers.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, Russia - Egypt was nice,

ugh... no.

The referee was obvious in the Russia Egypt match. When you had the Russian guy spike his cleats into the heel of the egyptian, causing him to lose his ground, the referee then proceeded to card the egyptian. The ball was then given to russia, who were in good position to set up a goal in the ensuing confusion. textbook game rigging, but more sloppy than in Korea 2002.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The level of refereeing during this competition has been OK upto a point....

Letting games flow... etc etc... but there are still inconsistancies...

I mean we were told that "marginal" offsides wouldn't be flagged... or the use of VAR would help but when that poor chap pulled down a player in the box during one of the matches a penalty was given....

BUT during the England game and other matches... humping a fellow professional player has been over looked...

I think fans and viewers just want to know where they stand and a level playing field...

xROTx

PS. "Mo Salahs" Egypt... PFFFT... that sorta of comment is getting on my nerves a lot...

"Ronaldos" Portugal vs Morocco...
"Suarez's" Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia...
"Iniesta's" Spain vs Iran... TODAY!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So Far Portugal Looks like shit. They are up 1-0 but look lackadaisical, passes aren't crisp, 50/50's aren't being timed. They look like they are still Fatigued from the Spain game. Gotta Give props to Morocco, they are taken it to Portugal but they also have no other choice.

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
Will be great to watch a Morocco goal in the last five minutes. They are playing much better than Portugal, creating a lot of chances to get at least a draw match.

Portugal isn't playing like they did against Spain 5 days ago.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
A poor game from Portugal and Morroco deserved something from the game... but as the great man says...

giphy.gif

xROTx

PS. Bye Bye Morocco :(

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I agree. Those Kids played with heart and left everything out on the field but in the end it just wasn't enough. We'll see how Spain does this afternoon.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
ugh... no.

The referee was obvious in the Russia Egypt match. When you had the Russian guy spike his cleats into the heel of the egyptian, causing him to lose his ground, the referee then proceeded to card the egyptian. The ball was then given to russia, who were in good position to set up a goal in the ensuing confusion. textbook game rigging, but more sloppy than in Korea 2002.

It looked like a dive to me in the slo mo, that's why the Egyptian player (Said?) got a card. The Russian was on his toes which the Egyptian noticed and tried to get a free kick. Pretty simple affair in my mind.

Anyway, I liked the match because it was fast. Maybe the Russians found a new drug.

Sweden has an extremely good defense, but if put under constant pressure, it may break. In my opinion, it would be a mistake to play aggressively, like the South Koreans did. It would just wear us out. The key feature should be steady and stabilized attack patterns from both sides with accurate centers.

I don't think that our lads know how to play aggressively, the new German SozPäd footie style offers no room for that. There's too much babble anyway... so we've lost the first match which is kinda embarrassing, okay, now let's look forward and tech-out the Swedes until their yellow shirts turn blue. I take Neuer's word for it. :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I really loved watching Ziyech play for Morocco. That guy is a complete stud in the midfield.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Morocco deserved to win the first match, and certainly deserved NOT to lose this one.

They have a very tight team, but let's be honest... as shitty as Portugal played today, there's still Spain and failling hard against Iran doomed them from the very start. Even if it's a 3 defeat participation, I really think they will leave the stage with their heads up.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I learned today that Portugal and Spain really aren't that good. Maybe they are fatigued from playing each other but I was not impressed with the way they played today. Iran just played defense the first half and once Spain scored on a deflection, Iran finally turned it on. Although Morocco is out, I don't think they want to go out like chumps and are going to give Spain hell and same go's for Iran Vs Portugal.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I really loved watching Ziyech play for Morocco. That guy is a complete stud in the midfield.

The Player I thought was a beast on Morocco is Amrabat. Dude was destroying Portugal on the Wing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Player I thought was a beast on Morocco is Amrabat. Dude was destroying Portugal on the Wing.

Amrabat was great too. He’s a starting player in the prem so he’s a known value. Ziyech though, I never saw him play at Ajax, but now I know why he was the player of the year there.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I learned today that Portugal and Spain really aren't that good. Maybe they are fatigued from playing each other but I was not impressed with the way they played today. Iran just played defense the first half and once Spain scored on a deflection, Iran finally turned it on. Although Morocco is out, I don't think they want to go out like chumps and are going to give Spain hell and same go's for Iran Vs Portugal.

Iran only has to win. They can still go through.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Iran only has to win. They can still go through.

Iran vs "Ronaldo's" Portugal... I can't wait...

I hope Iran does it tbh.... because they sure deserved to get something out of the Spain match....

xROTx

neofonta

Zero's Secretary
Versus Spain, Iran played like a chicken against a machete who likes and wants to cut necks.

Only when Spain scored Iran tried to really play a soccer match.

I hope and I would like to see the iranians kickin' portuguese asses from world cup, but to be honest, versus Spain they tried to loose so much time for not to play a football game so they deserved the defeat.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Crespo says Messi (and by extension argentina) deserve to win the World Cup. He doesn't deserve it because he's Messi, he will deserve it if he and his team play great football.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Versus Spain, Iran played like a chicken against a machete who likes and wants to cut necks.

Only when Spain scored Iran tried to really play a soccer match.

I hope and I would like to see the iranians kickin' portuguese asses from world cup, but to be honest, versus Spain they tried to loose so much time for not to play a football game so they deserved the defeat.

Iran plays with too much deference to big teams. They played like they didn’t think they could win by playing offensive football against Spain, so they sat back with anti football. To me, they should be out of the World Cup already. Their win against Morocco was a feel good moment for Iranians but let’s be honest, it was a joke of a win gifted by a ridiculous and unnecessary own goal.