Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Or people who hate on Indiana Jones IV but don't say anything about Temple of Doom.

I don't like Tempe of Doom. But I do like the third movie. The first one and the third one.

Even number Jones movies suck, just like odd number Star Trek movies suck.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I disagree...I was there the entire time with the N64...I disliked the thing after the first week I owned it, the first week it was even out on the US market. I didn't like Mario 64, still do not. I didn't like Zelda on the 64 either...still do not. I never liked Goldeneye for that matter...even when it was current. The thing just isn't my cup of tea.

I was speaking generally. There are thousands of people on the internet picking up N64 games, because Metal Jesus said they were hidden gems. Seeing how N64 has aged, along with all of its quirks, it's not uncommon for people to feel disappointed. I would be, too. Fortunately, I'm not insane, and I don't compare consoles from decades ago to current hardware. You can't believe 98% of the stuff you read on the internet, anyway.

As for Saturn vs PlayStation vs Nintendo 64, there's really no contest. Nintendo has omitted so many genres, it's no wonder some would say it has no games. If you're into fighting games, for example, you're completely out of luck.

To me, N64's appeal were the open worlds. I appreciate games which can pull off larger areas to explore, or give you a sense of freedom. Zelda games, Mario, Banjo, Conker ... they weren't as open as games can be nowadays, but they weren't as restricting as Crash Bandicoot, a game I once absolutely loved because of it's humor and colorful visuals, but grew to appreciate less and less because of the camera, general limitations and almost on-rails gameplay.

Anyway, no one reads this or cares. N64 was OK. It still might be, if you're a particular kind of gamer. It's obviously not for everyone, but I guess Americans dig it hard, since it sold better in the US than in EU and Japan combined.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
N64 has some of the best 3D fighting games ever made.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Waitwhat?!? Please don't count the garbage port of Killer Instinct as some of the best.

I'd rather play Tekken3, Tobal 2, Rival Schools, Street Fighter EX 2, or Bushido Blade over anything N64 had to offer (and I could probably come up with more).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

giphy.gif

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Bushido Blade

Man, this takes me back ... I played the shit out of that game. The controls took some getting used to initially, but once I had everything down, it was pure joy. It was also the only game I have ever played in two player mode using the link cable.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
N64 Mace: The Dark Age was pretty sweet; but I definitely wouldn't say it's the platform of choice for fighters.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Same old chestnuts every Youtube gaming channel talks about.

1. Used cartridges instead of CDs, so much smaller space to work with.
2. Lackluster third party support outside of some gems from companies like Rare.
3. Gameplay and graphics that often feel like they're from the Dark Ages, as is it's one of the first generation of 3D gaming consoles when gaming essentially "started over".
4. People like to bitch with 20 years of hardware improvment and hindsight behind them.

Are you on meth right now?

fluxcore

Another Striker
N64 was the first console I owned. We had a lot of fun with the AKI wrestling games.

By far the 'classic' console I return to the least though. Neither games nor hardware have aged well (I never liked mario64 or OOT), although having 4 controller ports is still nice. I think it deserves some shitting on.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
N64 was the first console I owned. We had a lot of fun with the AKI wrestling games.

By far the 'classic' console I return to the least though. Neither games nor hardware have aged well (I never liked mario64 or OOT), although having 4 controller ports is still nice. I think it deserves some shitting on.

I'll admit it...I'll never fire up my N64...or my PS1 for that matter. NES, SNES, Gen, PS2 (for arcade comps), or my GC (again, for arcade comps)...that's my go-to.

Early 3D is freaking rough now...ugly as sin.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I don't know much about new school wrestling games other than Fire Pro and some old school Genny, snes, arcade games but wrestling games belong in there own category. When you say Best 3d Fighting Games, I'm thinking real fighting games like Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, Tekken. The N64 doesn't stand a chance.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I don't know much about new school wrestling games other than Fire Pro and some old school Genny, snes, arcade games but wrestling games belong in there own category. When you say Best 3d Fighting Games, I'm thinking real fighting games like Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, Tekken. The N64 doesn't stand a chance.
Seriously, though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

The mechanics of the AKI games require managing distance, timing strikes, power selection, move selection, building a mana-bar, and parrying.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The mechanics of the AKI games require managing distance, timing strikes, power selection, move selection, building a mana-bar, and parrying.

So, what does this have to do with the N64 having the best 3d fighting games ever?

Your trolling me Nort, I know it.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Those are the attributes that I look for in a 3D fighter.

And I'm not trolling. I'm just pointing out the quality 3D fighters on the N64.

The time that I said that "Dive Kick" was the most innovative fighting game to come out in the last decade.... That time I might have been trolling.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Early 3D is freaking rough now...ugly as sin.

That depends. I think Namco's late PlayStation games still hold up. Tekken 3, Soul Edge and Ridge Racer Type 4 were the holy trinity of 3D graphics done right, and they still look good.

Being as popular as it was, PlayStation got what other platforms didn't. Devs with experience, pushing the limits of the console. Just compare the quality of launch or early titles to what was released in '98 ~ '00. Things like Battle Arena Toshinden and Soul Edge or the first Ridge Racer and Type 4 are worlds apart.

I think the graphics on N64 were more consistent. Not that they didn't improve over time, but yeah, looking back, there were many early games that are hard to look at now.

Four years ago or so, I started playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for some reason. I have only played it once before, back in the '09s, when it was fresh out. Didn't get it then. I came by it much later, and it just sat in a drawer for ages. One day I just started playing it, because I had the N64 out, and some time later, I found myself looking at the end credits. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you why I finished it. The game doesn't look too hot today. BUT ... I did enjoy playing it. Would I play it again? Probably not. Did I try other Star Wars games after that? Nope.

Having a N64 around isn't a bad idea. I plug it in once or twice a year, tops, but I wouldn't get rid of it. I probably should get an Everdrive, because the biggest problem is digging up the games. The question is, am I willing to drop $200 on a flash cartridge for a console I use twice a year.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
So, what does this have to do with the N64 having the best 3d fighting games ever?

Your trolling me Nort, I know it.

When I was 10 years old, the wrestling games were fun because you could create your own character, and EGM had this whole Elephant-Sak thing. And they were good multiplayer games.

No way in hell would I care about playing them now though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The 4 player aspect was also a big draw originally. Local co-op is practically dead nowadays.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
When I was 10 years old, the wrestling games were fun because you could create your own character, and EGM had this whole Elephant-Sak thing. And they were good multiplayer games.

No way in hell would I care about playing them now though.

Yea, I don't know much about the wrestling games but it seems that most wrestling fans here agree that the N64 has some great wrestling games. I won't argue that.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That depends. I think Namco's late PlayStation games still hold up. Tekken 3, Soul Edge and Ridge Racer Type 4 were the holy trinity of 3D graphics done right, and they still look good.

Being as popular as it was, PlayStation got what other platforms didn't. Devs with experience, pushing the limits of the console. Just compare the quality of launch or early titles to what was released in '98 ~ '00. Things like Battle Arena Toshinden and Soul Edge or the first Ridge Racer and Type 4 are worlds apart.

I think the graphics on N64 were more consistent. Not that they didn't improve over time, but yeah, looking back, there were many early games that are hard to look at now.

That's pretty true. PS1 was a mixed bag, but the N64 wasn't so much as long as the developer wasn't a lazy corner cutter. There were improvements, just nothing so drastic like comparing the original Ridge Racer to R4 or FF7 to FF9. N64 you could look at Shadows of the Empire, then the late Battle for Naboo or Pod Racer and the detailing was notably better and they had a nicer handle on the AA so it wasn't a mud fest (same with Indiana Jones too.) Mario 64 was more of a style choice but you could compare the 2 Banjo games to Conker's where more subtle detail was done but at the core not a huge upgrade due to consistency.

N64 may deserve hate entirely for carts, to a point depending on taste over the battarang controller shape, but for the game it has it's not hard to find something worthwhille that still has aged fairly ok, but on the whole Gamecube has aged infinitely better. Try getting one of the GC Video 3.0 HDMI devices and run a game in 480p mode and it's nuts how much nicer those games could be with a clear non-SD screen.