Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
At the time I utterly LOVED Star Wars podracing, smash 64, f zero X, Pokémon snap (lol), DK64, snowboard kids :P nowadays I still love to play sin and punishment :hammer:.

Seems like people bash the system though, as if it was actually BAD. Like come on, it’s no jaguar, 3DO, PC FX, or like any other “useless” console..!

Personally I prefer the Saturn but the N64 is a good console. Even with its “mud” graphics that people complain of (I didn’t give a flying fuck about the “mud” back in the day)

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Dude, at the time I loved my N64. Honestly, it's really just a matter of perspective. I think most people hate on it because it wasn't necessarily their choice of system back then. If you grew up with N64, you're probably more likely to have fond memories of it. The PS1 just trashed it, overall. Therefore, more people will have fond memories of PS1. I had all the systems, so I have fond memories of all 3, but if you were a kid, you played what your parents bought you.
Of the big 3 of that generation, I think there are probably more Saturn games that I like to go back and play than any other, but there are still great games to play on N64.
Thing is, there has *always* been division between console faithful.
Don't think that'll ever end.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
n64 is a good console with lots of great games, but people talk shit about it because when it comes to the n64, there's a lot to talk shit about.

the n64 completely boycotted what the ps1 and even the saturn was offering the world of gaming.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
My main problem with the N64 is that its aged so poorly. Muddy textures, fog everywhere, sluggish framerates, and poor cameras plague most of the games. Yeah, it had some revolutionary titles back in the day, but nearly all of the best ones (Mario 64, StarFox64, the Zeldas, the Rare-developed games) all got ported to more capable hardware. The best Saturn and PS1 games from the era hold up better IMHO.

And don't say "Goldeneye" is the best game on it. That game is horrible to play now.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Seems like people bash the system though, as if it was actually BAD. Like come on, it’s no jaguar, 3DO, PC FX, or like any other “useless” console..!

You clearly never experienced those systems...

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
N64 had Goldeneye which was fun for a bit then...Of course the wrestling games, other then that the system was worthless too me. Lack of fighting & rpgs...Shitty coontroller, shitty 3rd party support, shitty pricing on games, & their cheerleader madman is shit too. 3d bomberman was stupid & i didn't like 3d mario/zelda.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
You clearly never experienced those systems...

You can really find some fun on almost ANY system. Jaguar = Tempest 2000 I still play once in a while. Alien vs Predator looks (and controls) like crap NOW, but back then it was one of the most amazing FPS experiences I'd ever had. (I didn't get into PC gaming until 2000 or so.)
3D0 had some pretty cool games = the original Gex was on it, as well as the original Need for Speed.
Don't get me started on PC FX. Only a Cro-Magnon with a brow so low and furrowed he couldn't actually see out from under it wouldn't be able to find something fun to play there...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Another N64 thread. Why do people talk shit about the N64? If your playing the N64 with rose tinted glasses than you'll never understand why people talk crap about the N64 and never will. If you take them off than you'll see why people hate that foggy 3d mess on the screen.

Some Racing games are still pretty fun though.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Madman's not coming back, I know it's hard.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Dude, at the time, we were still nintendo whores. We made ourselves love it.
There are some legitimately good games like the ones you mentioned, but the games looked blurry and terrible.

I even liked the controller.

...but that library is weak even compared to the Sega Saturn.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dude, at the time, we were still nintendo whores. We made ourselves love it.
There are some legitimately good games like the ones you mentioned, but the games looked blurry and terrible.

I even liked the controller.

...but that library is weak even compared to the Sega Saturn.

I disliked the N64 because I was a "Nintendo Whore". It failed to meet my expectations.

The saturn library isn't weak, sorry.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I'm sure there are some great games on the system. I've not played them.

I will say I liked some of the pokemon games on it, but other than that I've no love for it. I hate the the colors in a lot of games I tried. Some of them I can't even play because I can't see them right and am unable to make out what is going on. I can't play goldeneye at all because I just walk into shit trying to colorblind my way through the maze. I hate early 3D shit anyhow so that doesn't help. I don't like the controllers at all either.

I bought one on launch and then boxed it back up and gave it to my little brother. I've tried to get into it a few times but never could.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Coming from the SNES, I was pretty disappointed with the N64 as a kid. I mean we went from this HUGE library of amazing games and beautiful sprite work to having muddy 3D graphics and WWF shovel ware. Meanwhile the PS1 was getting all the amazing JRPGs, platformers, and fighting games.

Some of the N64's first party games can be considered "good" to some, but they will never compare to the titles that came before it. I couldnt imagine sitting down and choosing to play Mario64 over something like Super Mario World, or Mario Bros 3. Or wasting time in Zelda OoT when I can play A Link to the Past.

Nintendo really gave it their all with the SNES. After that, they just started trolling.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm sure there are some great games on the system. I've not played them.

I will say I liked some of the pokemon games on it, but other than that I've no love for it. I hate the the colors in a lot of games I tried. Some of them I can't even play because I can't see them right and am unable to make out what is going on. I can't play goldeneye at all because I just walk into shit trying to colorblind my way through the maze. I hate early 3D shit anyhow so that doesn't help. I don't like the controllers at all either.

I bought one on launch and then boxed it back up and gave it to my little brother. I've tried to get into it a few times but never could.

I tried playing Goldeneye a few years ago on a RGB modded N64 thinking that maybe it would be fun like it was back in the days but it was just way too slow and ugly.

I still find older fps's like Duke Nukem 3d and Doom to still be playable but with Golden Eye I just can't.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I tried playing Goldeneye a few years ago on a RGB modded N64 thinking that maybe it would be fun like it was back in the days but it was just way too slow and ugly.

I still find older fps's like Duke Nukem 3d and Doom to still be playable but with Golden Eye I just can't.

Timesplitters is Goldeneye but good.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LOL...this thread.

The N64 eats an iced down bucket of cocks, always has, always will...

Blurry sacks of shit with a horrible controller...

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I still bust out Beetle Adventure Racing, from time to time. Overall though, that console hasn't aged well.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
At the time I utterly LOVED Star Wars podracing, smash 64, f zero X, Pokémon snap (lol), DK64, snowboard kids :P nowadays I still love to play sin and punishment :hammer:.

Personally I prefer the Saturn but the N64 is a good console. Even with its “mud” graphics that people complain of (I didn’t give a flying fuck about the “mud” back in the day)
I'm sure the N64 had some good games, but I was never interested in buying it at the time. I really liked the SNES, but Capcom wasn't on board with the N64 (I think they thought they couldn't make money selling cartridge games), so no Street Fighter games, so that was a deal-breaker for me. I could see that cartridge games we going to be a lot more expensive than CD games, as they cost more to produce. I suppose you could rent them from the video store, but that was not always as convenient.
One of the reasons the Neo Geo was too expensive in Australia, was that is was not officially released, so you couldn't even rent games from the video store, as they would not stock games of a an unreleased system (that made it a more expensive proposition here, even compared to buying one in the UK or America). So, in the case of the Neo, that was even worse than paying a lot to buy the games. I would assume that some video stores in the US rented AES games out- can anyone confirm this? Also, you had to pay the price a game importer charged for the AES console (which had it's own markup, in addition to shipping cost and exchange rate, which was quite weak compared to the US dollar and yen at the time). N64 games were at least $99 AUD, which was a lot of money in the mid to late 90's. There were no discounts or bargains on cartridge games, like there were sometimes on CD games.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What exactly is blurry anyway? The wall textures? The important stuff isn't blurry at all. Did you guys all use composite cables? S-Video is where it's at.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I thought people just hated it because of the controller. We played the crap out of golden eye, turok, ki gold! 1080, and some wrestling games.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
What exactly is blurry anyway? The wall textures? The important stuff isn't blurry at all. Did you guys all use composite cables? S-Video is where it's at.

I gotta agree once you got Svideo you cant go back. I think people hate on it because its such an odd system, the controllers odd for one.

I love my 64 its my childhood favorite and nothing can change that, there are great titles on the system and also really shite ones to.
Infact 64 is one out of 3 systems I actively collect for :D

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah i don't get the hate either. I go back to it from time to time and the games are still fun to play for me as they were back then. I have no issues with the controller or the graphics.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No, component and RGB are where it's at (for the N64 and other classic consoles). But I would agree that just about any video connection is better than composite. And you should play an N64 on a PVM, if possible.
I've never used s-video that much, I find the connection pins break, or the s-video just stops working (the video converter inside the TV stops working after a lot of use).

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
No, component and RGB are where it's at (for the N64 and other classic consoles). But I would agree that just about any video connection is better than and composite. And you should play an N64 on a PVM, if possible.

Thats my next steps soon alot of systems are gonna be getting wired RGB to my TV's and PVM in RGB :D. But the difference from composite to S-video was actually pretty noticable tbh so yeah

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
take me back to 2000 and slumber parties and 4-player mario kart 64 and mario party. yeah. good times back then. probably not now. or what do i know. maybe i'm just not a fun guy and they would still be fun if we still had slumber parties when we're 30 years old. or maybe when we're 30 they're not slumber parties anymore but orgies. at which point no one plays mario kart. so what do i know