Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
oh and don't make me mention having to load a rumble pack into the N64 controller like a fucking banana clip in Vietnam

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Hey, what about Night's controller!? (can't remember, did they release it before/after the 64?)

Was wondering this too, but wasn't sure when it came out. Plus I've never actually used one. Saturn had a better controller in general anyway than N64, even if it didn't have an analog stick, but that console is best for 2D arcade ports where a D-Pad is often preferred.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
oh and don't make me mention having to load a rumble pack into the N64 controller like a fucking banana clip in Vietnam

The first two designs of the PSX controllers didn't even offer that feature. The N64 did, once again Sony had taken Nintendo's idea and implemented it into a later controller revision. It sounds like you agree w/me that the N64 controller was innovative and paved the way for 3D controllers for years to come.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I played all of Glover as a kid using the d pad instead of the analogue stick on the N64, I felt sorry for the underused d pad :crying:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
The first two designs of the PSX controllers didn't even offer that feature. The N64 did, once again Sony had taken Nintendo's idea and implemented it into a later controller revision. It sounds like you agree w/me that the N64 controller was innovative and paved the way for 3D controllers for years to come.

do you know what CUNT stands for? Can't Understand Normal Thinking

you're fucking retarded bro

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
it's strange... the Saturn 3d controller came out only 2 weeks after the N64:

Nintendo 64: June 23, 1996
Saturn 3D Control Pad: July 5, 1996

IMO it suggests at least simultaneous development...

a guy here comments Sega saw the 64 controller at some event before official release... bit of a stretch, but can see it. I had a Saturn back in those days, honestly it felt like everyone was just trying to get into the 3d controller bandwagon... and the Saturn design kinda made it to the Dreamcast (so to say, not just a rushed imitation...?)

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
just because Nintendo released the worst & first joystick first doesn't mean fucking anything. Arcade machines had high quality sticks. It wasn't Nintendo's "idea", and they shouldn't get credit for putting out such a piece of shit. You do remember how it feels to use an N64 analog stick, right? I just love the sound of cheap plastic smacking against more cheap plastic, while the plastic digs into my thumb. Its great! The N64 has a completely back-ass obscure design, which requires the movement of the hand to initiate different gameplay styles. While it's not a big deal, its a stupid fucking design. PlayStation already had a solid controller that felt and still feels basically perfect, with higher quality material. The nature of business is competition and keeping up with such. So, instead of sucking Nintendo's cock and selling everything they own to them, Sony took their amazing controller, simply attached TWO superior quality, superior functioning joysticks right on the bottom. Changing nothing else, and the controller still feels fucking great. That's called a good design. It's called a design that can be added to. It's called a design that still continues to be imitated for almost all generic PC or 3rd party controllers across the board. No one fucking imitated the N64 controller. 3rd parties tried to redesign it in multiple ways so it would make more sense. I remember thinking they were all fucking weird though.

Get real you stupid fuck! And say hi sometime if you're ever on Milwaukee Ave

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
it's strange... the Saturn 3d controller came out only 2 weeks after the N64:

Nintendo 64: June 23, 1996
Saturn 3D Control Pad: July 5, 1996

IMO it suggests at least simultaneous development...

a guy here comments Sega saw the 64 controller at some event before official release... bit of a stretch, but can see it. I had a Saturn back in those days, honestly it felt like everyone was just trying to get into the 3d controller bandwagon... and the Saturn design kinda made it to the Dreamcast (so to say, not just a rushed imitation...?)

I think suggesting that simultaneous development is the case is, like you say, very possible. It's not like a lot of these companies didn't know true 3D was the future and anyone that played the early FPS ports to consoles could feel the limitations of the D-Pad when it came to looking around.

That said, it's also not like Nintendo never had ideas get ripped off. Xbox Avatars? Playstation Move?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Having an analog stick is not new to computers (whereas video games typically fall under that umbrella) to begin with, there seems to be no indication of any big deal with the analog stick on the 3D Control Pad. In fact, it seems weird that even the cited (reference) patent (the Japanese one from 1994) has no mention of an analog control at all. It is all about vibration function... including a situation where you would wear a helmet that vibrated! Good thing that never came out. The US patent has the analog control portion on there, but there is nothing special about it. As noted, it was not anything new in either computer or arcade machine industries to have that type of control option.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
yeah, btw I didn't mean to imply anything... this all sounds like Apple vs rest of the world...there is always an obscure device from 10 years earlier which already paved the way.. ultimately it's all about combining all together, hardware/software, in a meaningful way... and Nintendo is good at this.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
An interview I read in 1996 from Sega Saturn magazine UK said that the 3D controller was designed for Nights, so apparently it’s design was independent of the N64. But of course, Sega would say that.

I’m not understanding the love for the PlayStation controller if I’m honest. The PS4 pad is a massive improvement on the two door wedges sandwiched together that they used from PS1 to PS3. It’s always been too small for my hands, had a shit d pad, and the rubber ontop of the analogue pads is similar to the rubbers I use to plough madman’s mum.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
An interview I read in 1996 from Sega Saturn magazine UK said that the 3D controller was designed for Nights, so apparently it’s design was independent of the N64. But of course, Sega would say that.

I’m not understanding the love for the PlayStation controller if I’m honest. The PS4 pad is a massive improvement on the two door wedges sandwiched together that they used from PS1 to PS3. It’s always been too small for my hands, had a shit d pad, and the rubber ontop of the analogue pads is similar to the rubbers I use to plough madman’s mum.

Even if Sony has the better console, Microsoft fuckin nailed the Xbox One controller. Easily one of the most comfortable ones.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i have average sized but skinny hands. Xbox always felt too big for me to hold comfortably. I did grow up with PSX. so that has something to do with it, but I think it's a really solid design.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
i have average sized but skinny hands. Xbox always felt too big for me to hold comfortably. I did grow up with PSX. so that has something to do with it, but I think it's a really solid design.

It's not bad, but it really benefited from the dual analog sticks. That OG PS1 controller is just too tiny to be comfortable.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

yeah, the original controllers for the first xbox were kind of clunky, but the 360/xbone controllers are amongst the best ever.

Ray

New Challenger
Wtf was that all about. Games were meh. PS was churning out metal gears, resi's and ff's while n64 had...superman 64.
A lot of people consider the trident shape weird, but Nintendo's intention was pretty interesting. Basically, you'd play 3D games with the middle/right prongs, 2D games(Kirby 64, Mischief Makers) with the left/right prongs and then there were the few that could use a left/middle setup like Sin & Punishment. In the end, most people only played games that use a middle/right setup since the library focused on 3D games almost exclusively. 3D analog control was still being figured out so they didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket, for better or worse.

As for the library, I still consider the N64 one of the best systems for 3-4 player games. Neither the Playstation or Saturn had as much consistent support for this, although Saturn Bomberman's 8 player support single-handedly brings the Saturn close.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Back in 1996 I had a choice: either buy a ps1 and tekken2, or import a N64 and play it a month before US release. I chose the PS1 and didn't own a N64 until last year. I still had plenty of fun with it through the years, either through extended family's or borrowed friend's. It's a fine system. Controller looks different but I had no real issues with it. Small library but small library of some very good games.

What's the consensus around here on the 64DD?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
A lot of people consider the trident shape weird, but Nintendo's intention was pretty schizophrenic and inefficient

ftfy

everyone else was able to figure out how to keep a controller with two fucking handles so you only had to move your THUMB, not your whole fucking arm and hand.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What's the consensus around here on the 64DD?

I owned one for a time, along with the Mario Artists, Sim City 64 and Doshin the Giant. The novelty is amazing, but there's little lasting appeal. The 64DD console itself is also massively overvalued these days, like $500+, not even including any disks. I sold it all and got an Everdrive 64 instead. The cartridge ports work great and there's even F-Zero X Expansion Kit in English available.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
N64 was hot garbage with a shitty controller and awful games. People felt cheated coming from the SNES, which was an incredible system with a lot of stellar games. Some people couldnt comprehend that they were playing awful 3D games with a controller that was obviously meant to be the greatest gag ever perpetrated on the gaming community. Rumor has it that Miyamoto made bets that he could also sell shitty N64 mouse, hdds, and modems to stupid fucks willing to buy anything with a Nintendo logo on them. There’s probably customers defending those accessories in 2018, too.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
There’s probably customers defending those accessories in 2018, too.

yeah, i have to share an entire city with one of them . his name is "madman", and he's a jerk!

@madman: go to Games R Us on E 35th street . they are selling a Nintendo 64 with one controller there for $80, and they also have a loose, fucked up cart of GoldenEye for $45 . You'll fucking love it!

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
N64 was hot garbage with a shitty controller and awful games. People felt cheated coming from the SNES, which was an incredible system with a lot of stellar games. Some people couldnt comprehend that they were playing awful 3D games with a controller that was obviously meant to be the greatest gag ever perpetrated on the gaming community. Rumor has it that Miyamoto made bets that he could also sell shitty N64 mouse, hdds, and modems to stupid fucks willing to buy anything with a Nintendo logo on them. There’s probably customers defending those accessories in 2018, too.

False.

yeah, i have to share an entire city with one of them . his name is "madman", and he's a jerk!

I was here first, bro.