Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
but on the whole Gamecube has aged infinitely better.

That's partly due to the way Nintendo make their games. Looking at Gamecube, Wii and Wii U, it's not at all impossible to imagine games from the later consoles running on the first one. Double Dash still looks great, and so does MK8, but the fact that MK8 isn't that far ahead of Double Dash makes it look even better. Same goes for Sunshine and Super Mario 3D World. Can you imagine the latter running on a Gamecube? I can. Nintendo isn't pushing the tech. They're all about gameplay and polish. The resolution got higher, the textures sharper and the models smoother, but all in all, they stay true to the same formula.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Oh most definitely I agree. They sat on their ass far too long reusing the same chipset with moderate at best increases over the last and took it too far with the WiiU using it a third time around. It took the polish and luster off everything and having (for those in the know) the HDMI capable Gamecube kind of shows how not very far they tried between 2001 and 2012 basically. At least they finally did the right thing with the Switch and went with something more capable, easy to code for, acceptable to all interested parties, and can bridge the gap properly between on the go and anchored to the TV (the Wii U failed at hard.) The stuff you see now won't look drastically better than WiiU but at least there's a true trade-off and a value in it finally. They stuck to their formula yet again but did it in a non-incompetent and lazy fashion that's paying off.

I could not imagine the Bethesda stuff or LA Noire running all that nice on a Gamecube without further good compromise to probably not be worth it to the companies to bother with it and this is all first generation stuff.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

Because it only has about 5 exclusive games that are still worth playing. The few other genuinely good games in its library have received superior ports/remasters on other systems.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
A music publication, Pitchfork, is talking about the hidden virtue of N64's music.

Obviously, they don't know anything about vidya gayming with lines like:
Pitchfork said:
It wasn’t until 1996 that the company—and video games as a whole—leveled up with Nintendo 64.
So take it with a grain of salt. They do know music.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Because it only has about 5 exclusive games that are still worth playing. The few other genuinely good games in its library have received superior ports/remasters on other systems.

Poison Sama, now you know theres more than 5 exclusive games on that system that are worth playing, check your facts

While it might not have as large of a library that other systems had there are still a fair number of must plays on that system.
You also can not deny it was a great party system at its heart

But thats just my oppinion

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Poison Sama, now you know theres more than 5 exclusive games on that system that are worth playing, check your facts

While it might not have as large of a library that other systems had there are still a fair number of must plays on that system.
You also can not deny it was a great party system at its heart

But thats just my oppinion

Don’t...

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
this thread's about the people who can't get 120 stars on Super Mario 64

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
this thread's about the people who can't get 120 stars on Super Mario 64

thinking about it now, 120 does seem like a lot. i don't think a game could hold my interest long enough now to collect that number of items.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
N64 was a huge letdown for me. A major case of over-promise and under-deliver. I was a pretty big fan of Killer Instinct in the arcade, and even today the voice talking about it coming out on the Nintendo Ultra 64 still gives me a chub, but we had to wait YEARS, and then it came out without an optical drive, a fucked up controller, and marketing for babies. By then I had given up and was heavy into PS1, which was really the only viable choice for teens with limited budget and hair on their balls at the time. Looking back I can enjoy all systems for what they are. These days I mainly game on the Saturn from that Generation - in fact, the Saturn is my console that gets the most play along with the Switch. N64 is the only Nintendo console (other than Virtual Boy) that I never owned.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Right now, I'm working on purchasing a rather nice N64 collection.

Lots of Boxed shit, the Hori controller and even the Glove controller.

What's up with the glove controller?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
thinking about it now, 120 does seem like a lot. i don't think a game could hold my interest long enough now to collect that number of items.

lol have you played mario odyssey?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Mario was on Super Nintendo for me, fuck any and every mario game since then.

I liked Mario best, when Gunpei was holding the wheel that one time on Super Mario Land. Everything else abut this character is too sophisticated.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Mario was on Super Nintendo for me, fuck any and every mario game since then.

Exactly...if I would have only known that in late 1991, it would have been downhill from there when it came to Mario titles.

I played Galaxy like 7 years ago for half an hour. it was terrible. just terrible.

It was the shit Wii controls that killed it...I despised playing games like that with motion control.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There were very few motion controls in galaxy.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
There were very few motion controls in galaxy.

Doesn't matter...this is not a comfortable way to play games:

vg.consoles.07.lg.jpg

If you were ok with it, perfect for you. I wasn't a fan of it. I tried to grow accustomed to it but never could, I found that setup uncomfortable at best.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Until you realize with the Wiimote + nunchuk, you can often just rest your arms at your sides for the ultimate in lazy gaming. Despite what the Wii commercials implied, you don't have to be standing or holding up your arms to use motion controls, it's really all about wrist movement.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would have preferred a standard control option, but it was really unobtrusive on Galaxy, all you really did was use the pointer to get those star shard things. Motion aside the Wii nunchuck + wiimote combo was pretty comfortable, and it's a shame some people missed out on one of the best games of the generation because of it.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
He won't last there either. And why the fuck would anyone with the slightest sence of good taste use an N64 logo as avatar.
man, lots of hate for the 64 here

Kids back in the day seemed to like it, I know I sure did, plenty of fun to be had on the N64.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
the-creation-of-the-n64-controller_o_3903431.jpg

Wtf was that all about. Games were meh. PS was churning out metal gears, resi's and ff's while n64 had...superman 64.