Demon's Souls Servers Shutting Down Feb 2018... Sad times...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing the closing of the servers for the original Demon's Souls on PS3...

https://kotaku.com/demons-souls-servers-are-shutting-down-removing-part-o-1820771731

To say I love Demon's Souls would be an understatement.

Some of my fondest memories are playing Demon's Souls, trudging through the putrid swamp that was The Valley of Defilement, and seeing those red flashing words "You are Being Invaded", and then quietly saying "fuck" to myself, as I ran back to the beginning of the world to save my souls, and to try and get a friendly summon.

Demon's Souls set the standard for what I expected from future game releases. Since then nothing has compared, except for Dark Souls 1, and nothing else probably ever will.

Demon's Souls literally changed my gaming life...

And now I invite it to change yours...

I will be starting a new character, probably Friday, and playing Demon's Souls until it's closing this coming Feb, 2018.

I have many characters to help new players, and for veteran players looking for a challenge, maybe a souls level 1, or similar challenge may be in order.

Basically I'm down for anything. Maybe even a level 100 full 7 run play through.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Fuck! Although, I bet a remaster is incoming.

I'm down with a restart on Friday.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Yeah i seen it mention in the DS3 thread.I may have to make new character and it play again before the servers shut down.Demon's Souls is what got me into the souls series to begin with.Though,since from software is done with the souls series a remaster of demon's souls wouldn't hurt either.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I would be down. I have a digital copy on my PS3 but never made time to play it. I guess before I am forced to play it alone I might as well take a stab at it.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I'd be down for an organized restart of some kind. That way, we can co-op and invade each other. I was late to the party with DeS; it sat on my shelf for 7 years. I'd like to check out the online functionality.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'd be down for an organized restart of some kind. That way, we can co-op and invade each other. I was late to the party with DeS; it sat on my shelf for 7 years. I'd like to check out the online functionality.

The functionality isnt that great. Games near dead, and there's no way to summon in friends directly. Although when i played with my brother a few years ago it was still easier than Bloodborne friend summoning.

It's basically trial and error till you magically find your friend.

The online experience now, will never compare to demons souls hey day. It use to be incredibly active. Hopefullybthe announcement of the servers shutting down will "rekindle" some good times.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Sweet! I think my ps3 id is "jforrest1980". Been awhile since i used it. Im gonna hook it up after work tonight and make sure everything is in order for tomorrow.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I’m starting tonight since I have to work the weekend. Going to take a bit to get the controls down again.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
How does this play compared to dark souls?

If you played Dark Souls first, then it will be your favorite. It's hard for me to choose, and I played Demon's Souls first.

Demons souls controls wise, is almost exactly like dark souls. The magic system is slightly different. Also, there is no Flask system. You just eat Herbs for health, and Spice for magic.

As far as atmosphere. Dark Souls is one giant world all connected. Demons Souls is a bunch of separate worlds that are not connected. All of which are accessed through a hub called the Nexus. If you played ds3, imagine the hub in that game, except you can't leave it directly through a door, you enter worlds through archstones.

I personally love the atmosphere of Demon's Souls more. It just feels darker, and more evil. The bosses for the most part are not as epic, but for the time they were.

Graphically the game is looking outdated. It's in dire need of a remaster. But that gameplay, story, and atmosphere are just solid still.

Demons souls still has the only regular enemy that scares the shit out of me. The dual wielding katana demons. Hardest regular enemy in any souls game.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
For the people new to Demon Souls, let me give you a quick overview of World Tendency, which is important. Worlds have tendencies from neutral, black, pure black, white, and pure white. White weakens enemies, but you gain less souls; black, the enemies are harder, less character life and more souls from enemies. However there are special events that happen at pure white and pure black.

Pure White is harder to attain- it is done by killing boss enemies and not dying in body form. To shift it to black, just constantly die in body form. You want to do the white events first since once the bosses are dead you can't shift it back to pure white.

Pure black, has character black phantoms that are difficult but drop some really good shit. What I do, is I suicide in the nexus before I go to a world, that way if you die, the world tendency doesn't shift.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
There's also character tendency, same concept as world tendency, but changes you you do bad stuff. Like murder NPC's.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
There's also character tendency, same concept as world tendency, but changes you you do bad stuff. Like murder NPC's.

Speaking of this, you guys want to Kill yurt the silent chief as soon as you free him. He will start murdering npcs and jack up your game.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Pure White is harder to attain- it is done by killing boss enemies and not dying in body form. To shift it to black, just constantly die in body form. You want to do the white events first since once the bosses are dead you can't shift it back to pure white.

Pure black, has character black phantoms that are difficult but drop some really good shit. What I do, is I suicide in the nexus before I go to a world, that way if you die, the world tendency doesn't shift.

So I'm a little confused do the white events first but your saying die ALOT then go into the world. Will that make it black or leave it at it's starting, assuming white?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This is a little off topic and I never played Demons Souls but this is why every game should have a great campaign or story mode. When these servers shut down for some of these games, they are pretty much not worth playing any more.

It seems like most games now in days focus alot on the Online portion but very little on everything else. I'm old school and don't do much online gaming and have always loved playing a game with a good story like God of War or Uncharted as a example.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
So I'm a little confused do the white events first but your saying die ALOT then go into the world. Will that make it black or leave it at it's starting, assuming white?

Yeah, basically just do the worlds in soul form. When you are in the nexus, dying there doesn’t count towards a tendency. Once you beat a boss or use a stone of ephemeral eyes you will gain your body back. After you beat a boss, I suicide in the nexus to go back to soul form. Then I go to the next area.

There’s pure white events that allow you to meet certain npcs and do certain side quests. After you do those, you can keep dying in body form while in the world to lower the tendency and face off against npc black phantoms.

This will probably help a bit:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This is a little off topic and I never played Demons Souls but this is why every game should have a great campaign or story mode. When these servers shut down for some of these games, they are pretty much not worth playing any more.

It seems like most games now in days focus alot on the Online portion but very little on everything else. I'm old school and don't do much online gaming and have always loved playing a game with a good story like God of War or Uncharted as a example.

The game will still be amazing after the servers shut down. You just won't be able to invade/be invaded, or join co-op. Basically you will be on your own, with no hints form other players. Some people prefer to play this way their 1st play through.

I'm getting on in about 30 min. Started a character last night.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Remember, you can use the dupe trick to quickly make a character.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The game will still be amazing after the servers shut down. You just won't be able to invade/be invaded, or join co-op. Basically you will be on your own, with no hints form other players. Some people prefer to play this way their 1st play through.

I'm getting on in about 30 min. Started a character last night.

Ok, I did not know it was a good single player game since I never played it. Good to know.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
My PSN name is Seventh_Son7 if you see me in game.

Just logged in and saw I have a SL 55 character active.

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Everyone, be sure to put your summon sign down in Tower of Latria so you can be Old Monk. If you want to have a good fight, probably at least SL 40, but you can be any SL.

Last edited: