CPS2 loses audio after warm

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have ssf2t B board with matching USA A board. I changed the battery battery on game, since it had the original battery. After, I noticed that the sound would start to cut out and just come back sometimes. Something that sounds like a loose wire when the audio did come back. This happened last night. Today I decided to check it and plugged the game in my Astro City. Sound was working again perfectly until about 20mins or so of Playing, it cut out again. Any ideas on what to check?

I'm thinking it's heat related, or did I messed up something when I opened the B board?

The A board looks dusty, but I will need to remove capcom pin to clean it well.

Thanks guys for any input.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Obvious things:

1. Check that the boards are mated correctly
2. Check for acid damage (or soldering mishaps) around the battery
3. Check that the sound ROMs are seated (?)

(Just general guesses - I'm not a CPS2 expert.)

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I checked and reseated both boards and still no change. No acid damage, original battery was still working, very clean B board.

Going to Google the location of sound roms, this is my only CPS2 game, so I don't have an extra A board to test B Board. Prolly will have to buy one. The game plays great other than the sound cutting out.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Could be the A Board. Did you try plugging in some speaker/s to the Stereo Jacks on the A Board? Is the Fan Working on the A board?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
You try resetting the audio levels? Here is a quote from channelmaniac

Before you condemn the board, push the volume down button on the A board and hold it down while you power it up. Keep holding it down until you see the splash screens come up.

THEN try to adjust the volume.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Could be the A Board. Did you try plugging in some speaker/s to the Stereo Jacks on the A Board? Is the Fan Working on the A board?
No sound coming from the RCA Jacks. And yes the fan is working.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It’s the output caps, charging and discharging really slow.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Update*

So I replaced all the caps in the sound area of the A board and still no sound. So, I tried searching for CPS2 A board schematics but was not able to find any info. Anyone have one ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the sound CPU if it gets really hot, if it does, that could be the problem.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Update. I bought a known working A board and still the Audio cuts on and off.

So this leads to believe that the problem is on B Board. Anything I should check without suiciding the board As far as sound.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My Astro cab has a volume pot on the power supply, how about yours

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Update. I bought a known working A board and still the Audio cuts on and off.

So this leads to believe that the problem is on B Board. Anything I should check without suiciding the board As far as sound.

Thanks

Can always test and replace the sound roms (01,02,11,12). Many people here, myself included, could test those or just burn and send you replacements.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My Astro cab has a volume pot on the power supply, how about yours
Yes it does. I have it turned up, checked with another board prior to make sure is working on the actual machine. Thanks

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Can always test and replace the sound roms (01,02,11,12). Many people here, myself included, could test those or just burn and send you replacements.
How can I test the sound roms? Are there any caps that may affect sound on the B board?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
How can I test the sound roms? Are there any caps that may affect sound on the B board?

You would need a eprom programmer to check the roms.

If the board was dead you could use the suicide tester to run diagnostics

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
You would need a eprom programmer to check the roms.

If the board was dead you could use the suicide tester to run diagnostics

I don't own an eeprom programmer, so that kills that option. I did notice some white residue on the B Boards Daughter board. I'll post up a pic later and see what you guys think.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
For what it's worth, if you don't have a programmer, it would only cost you a couple bucks each to replace all 4 sound EPROMS, and get a diagnostic prom burned at the same time. If you want me to run some off just shoot me a PM.