Net Neutrality...

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Comcast, Verizon, and ATT are crooks they try to monopolize everything and cut the middle man out they have a long LONG history of this. Unless that competition or middle man is willing to bend over backwards for these companies thats how its been for years lately, and thats from a business stand point. A customer stand point, the customer service is generally crap their support is crap, and they try to nickle and dime every customer they can get to do so (speaking from experience). Why should you assume that they will not eventually use this opportunity to slowly integrate their own agendas? They will because if they do it to competitors and customers they will do it again on the open web where they have less control over their own infrastructures they invested dearly in and worked so hard to monopolize later.

It will likely be a slow progression so its not alarming to the public. But what will likely happen at worst if they get greedy (likely) is they will prioritize their own networks and IP's as was mentioned in the video so THEIR network is the BEST and FASTEST, likely forcing companies to perpetuate the "filter bubble" so people only see their content and IP's. It will be a night mare for small business's that wants to compete with what little freedoms they have in the middle markets. How do you think Netflix got so popular with their streaming and built a competition to cable tv?? Whats even more worse if you take it a step further it will mean political views are more in their favor as the internet is basically the largest source of information political or not they can choose more of what they control.

Im all for freedom of opinion, press, and market. But with the back lash the masses are giving on this it only furthers the point that this is likely a stupid idea and the informed public do not want. It is likely heavily lobbied as all things are too.

Theres my two cents

Also i just saw LoneSage's post again "So, I mean a government internet provider would be a good thing, right?"

I think thats a BAD idea as well and is open to potential abuse by the gooberment, the real problem in this country right now is these MEGA corporations are getting away with more than they could dream. A better solution is to restrict these companies more so they have more competition, which drives costs down for the consumer, and not have three guys sitting at a table taking all the cake and eating it too. This country right now has a terrible monopoly problem and I thought there was laws to protect consumers against this...

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I understand what you're driving at. But nothing stops me and my neighbor from throwing up open frequency equipment and creating a network. Now extrapolate that and you get to roughly what you have in that ISP you reference minus the interconnection to the current internet and services that exist on it.
We've got wireless ISPs here that use unlicensed-band microwave dishes. They typically run at 20mbps or so and cost about $100 a month. The municipal fiber network I referenced costs $70, I believe, for 1000mbps symmetric.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
We've got wireless ISPs here that use unlicensed-band microwave dishes. They typically run at 20mbps or so and cost about $100 a month. The municipal fiber network I referenced costs $70, I believe, for 1000mbps symmetric.

I could pay 5grand one time and have a 1gig wireless link using one these.

https://www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/

The point I'm making is that the public could start their own if connectivity to each other was all they needed. They could share information municipalities could hook in their libraries, hospitals ,etc. Ubiquiti even has routers that are made to be run off solar panels.

The point being is the internet from its original purpose is gone. It's now just a entertainment ecosystem. To which I say fuck it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What do you think the original purpose of the internet is?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What do you think the original purpose of the internet is?

He lost me when he started talking about people buying their own networks and setting them up.

If the government does away with net neutrality, but keeps all their government applications online, discouraging hard copies, do the ISPs gain color of government?

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
The original purpose of the internet was for physics research, specifically the LHC, which it is still being used for.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The original purpose of the internet was for physics research, specifically the LHC, which it is still being used for.

A lot of the internet traffic is dedicated to large hardon colliding streaming streaming videos

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The internet evolved from ARPANET, which was created in 1969 by the U.S. Department of Defense, and was the first network to use TCP/IP protocols. It was designed so that if a nuclear strike knocked out part of the network, the rest of the network would still be functioning (it could route around any damage), and so the military could still use it to communicate.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I don't know too much about this, but thought I'd bump it because there's a big vote today.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't know too much about this, but thought I'd bump it because there's a big vote today.

It’s not a vote. Ajit Pai and Trump are just going to buttfuck America because they have no sense of connection to humans.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
See you guys over on Prodigy.
AOL keyword neodongs

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
So, what direct impact will it have on this site? Going to make it extremely slow?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You'll have to buy your ISP's "Forum Package" for $9.99/mo if you'd like to browse this and other forums. Rot's package not included.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
You'll have to buy your ISP's "Forum Package" for $9.99/mo if you'd like to browse this and other forums. Rot's package not included.

How much will they break down packages?

Forums
Streaming
Social Media (Facebook/Twitter)

Etc etc?

On the news they said places will be able to give faster and slower speeds to their choice of websites

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Keep this shit bumped. Im at work and want to know what happens asap. Is there a website to get updates on this?

When is the vote happening?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Nobody knows what will happen.

But ISPs will get to decide what data you can access, and how quickly.

Look at how (some) of them are currently handling your cell phone or tv service to get an idea of what's coming.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Lawsuits will tie this shit up for a long damn time, luckily, correct?

And in another three (of God forbid, seven) years we're just going to see it go back the way it was.

Basically, fuck Ajit Pai.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't be surprised if backlash leads, eventually, to the digital equivalent of the The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956.

The ISPs are sticking their dicks in the milk machine today.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Thanks! No video yet, but I got it up.

Lawsuits will tie this shit up for a long damn time, luckily, correct?

And in another three (of God forbid, seven) years we're just going to see it go back the way it was.

Basically, fuck Ajit Pai.

We're hoping this gets tied up, or ended in our favor indefinitely.

Yes, fuck Ajit ShitPai/CreamPai.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Wow, my girl Rosenworcel was just like "so we dont draw this out, I'll just agree". That was pretty much all she wrote. I was hoping she would actually give a speech. She seems irritated.