Net Neutrality...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I just want to punch this Ajit guy in his ugly smile. I don't see how people are not in a uproar about this garbage. If this actually goes through it will be the largest crock of shit that has happened to the American people in a long time... and it's just flying under the radar.

I haven't heard a single person either on my facebook, or in real life bring this up. It's like no one even notices this is going on.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
They've accepted the inevitably of this ass fucking we are about to receive.

Best not to resist, only make it worse.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Ajit Pai works for Verizon.

Always has.

Also one of the traitor Indians who gave up his culture to fit in with the republicans that will always see him as a simple rent boy.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I haven't heard a single person either on my facebook, or in real life bring this up. It's like no one even notices this is going on.

They're too busy sharing Russian propaganda to pay attention to real issues. Twitter is exploding over it, though.

I think there will be a lawsuit that blocks the commission's decision, at least temporarily. Hopefully it gets tied up in the courts long enough for Mueller to do his job.

Edit: Also wanted to add that Pai has the most punchable face I've seen in a while. I'd love to smash that giant Reese's mug over his head.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I'm actually surprised Congress isn't all over this. They're desperate to pass anything significant right now - and enforcing network neutrality has extraordinarily high support across party lines.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bet you're all looking forward to paying for the 'forum package - $15.99' catch is you only get system16.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I bet you're all looking forward to paying for the 'forum package - $15.99' catch is you only get system16.

I will probably have to pay $5.00 just to unlock this fucking comment on about 1.5 months.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
in my internet world I can't go a second without seeing a petition or information regarding the net neutrality deal.

All I can say is I hope we find a way to avoid this or continue functioning with relative ease if the worst happens. I'm pretty scared about it because my career is basically reliant on the internet, then again I feel like lots of peoples are.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
in my internet world I can't go a second without seeing a petition or information regarding the net neutrality deal.

All I can say is I hope we find a way to avoid this or continue functioning with relative ease if the worst happens. I'm pretty scared about it because my career is basically reliant on the internet, then again I feel like lots of peoples are.

Realistically, the cable companies won't simply start blocking things. They'll tilt the scales in more subtle ways, like cell carriers do right now:
1. Impose egregiously expensive metering, and then zero-rate their own services
2. "Bundle" third-party services with their Internet service, that you can't unsubscribe from
3. Throttle or deprioritize traffic to competitors, while uncapping or prioritizing traffic to such third-parties

For example, your DOCSIS cable modem speed is determined basically in software - the cable company could "partner" with CBS so their video would stream at 150mbps (4 full bonded channels, a basic DOCSIS 3 modem), regardless of your generally-applicable rate limit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Realistically, the cable companies won't simply start blocking things. They'll tilt the scales in more subtle ways, like cell carriers do right now:
1. Impose egregiously expensive metering, and then zero-rate their own services
2. "Bundle" third-party services with their Internet service, that you can't unsubscribe from
3. Throttle or deprioritize traffic to competitors, while uncapping or prioritizing traffic to such third-parties

For example, your DOCSIS cable modem speed is determined basically in software - the cable company could "partner" with CBS so their video would stream at 150mbps (4 full bonded channels, a basic DOCSIS 3 modem), regardless of your generally-applicable rate limit.

AT&T's merger with Time Warner just got a whole lot more critical. AT&T has argued that it's a totally vertical merger, that the two businesses of AT&T and Time Warner are wholly different, but here we see how AT&T would have a vested interest in pushing their own content for free to customers, much like T-mobile does by zero-rating the data for netflix.

And as much as AT&T may believe that offering HBO to their customers for free isn't gun jumping

it sure does look like it. I mean no one else is doing it, and HBO is a great selection of IP.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It is no surprise more people aren't foaming at the mouth. A lot of people have a rudimentary understanding of what the internet is and what slippery slope this will cause.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It is no surprise more people aren't foaming at the mouth. A lot of people have a rudimentary understanding of what the internet is and what slippery slope this will cause.

Honestly, what good is foaming at the mouth? Look at this very site - when you try to get into serious news, a lot of the gamers have a knee jerk reaction. On Reddit, people complain more about the net neutrality threads than people talking about net neutrality.

I think that writing to the congressional reps for your districts would be way more effective. No one in congress wants to lose their seat over this, and all of them know it will happen if they are tied to the president here.

Besides, the process to even make such a rule change is long and difficult. And once a final rule is approved, it can be easily locked up into litigation for years, including issuance of any injunction, which would cause irreparable harm for private interests. Further, there are serious free speech considerations. I think that we have a chance to protect America and the world from Trump and his retarded children, but it depends on a judiciary that understands the constitution (zero faith in Thomas, Alito, or that dude from my high school whose mom was the worst EPA head in history), and a legislature that wants to keep Americans from revolting.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
It's okay guys-Comcast pinkie-swears that they won't mess with anything. I feel better already!

IMG_1625.JPG

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Their definition of lawful content however is only the approved list of websites.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Come on - Verizon cares about people, not about making money. Everybody knows that. Just like insurance companies.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I just want to punch this Ajit guy in his ugly smile. I don't see how people are not in a uproar about this garbage. If this actually goes through it will be the largest crock of shit that has happened to the American people in a long time... and it's just flying under the radar.

It's one of those things, where you don't know what you've got till it's gone. It's probably only the people who know a bit about computers and the net, and how they're supposed to work, that are going to be concerned about it. The internet was designed to be neutral. It only works as well as it does for everyone, because of the democratic (non-commercial) way it has been designed.

I guess people could write or email congresspeople about. Or sometimes you can get laypeople stirred up about things on Twitter or Facebook, because they don't have to do much work to protest it that way- they just have to like a protest page.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Certain troglodytes hold that if the government is involved, it must be bad. Therefore, Net Neutrality is a power grab.

Keep the Government out of my Medicare!

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I don't understand how there aren't protests happening right now.

EDIT:
This is actual a pretty unique position the country is in.

1. Left and right wing citizens are both overwhelmingly in favor of keeping net neutrality.

2.Left wing lawmakers are in favor of keeping net neutrality.

3. Right wing lawmakers are not in favor of keeping net neutrality.

4. Both left and right wing lawmakers are paid off by telecom giants and lobbyists.

What does this mean? I don't know, but one tiny piece of it, I'm sure, is that Reps are bent on destroy The Black Man's accomplishments. That's certainly not the whole picture and I don't know what the rest of the picture looks like.

On a personal note, I'm self-employed. Not to be confused with unemployed. I make a decent amount of money. But I get the fuck taxed out of me. I upload and download between 20GB and 200GB a day for work. That's not to mention what I do for leisure. I work on very tight deadlines. I would have to pay for uncapped / "fast lane" access, reducing my net even more. Not only does repealing net neutrality disadvantage "the little guys" in terms of the telecom giants having all the power over the airwaves and infrastructure, but it also attempts to smolder out small businesses, from tiny ops like my own to start-ups.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Put this in the first post of this thread.

*Copy & Paste and Pass it on.
Here’s a super quick and effective way to support net neutrality.
1. On a computer, (not your phone!), go to:
www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express
2. Enter (under "Proceeding") the numbers 17-108.
3. In comments, say:
I support Title 2 oversight of ISPs and I support net neutrality.
*Fill in the form carefully; they've made it less friendly and impossible to fill in by phone, on purpose.
*Don't be silenced. DO IT NOW!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Put this in the first post of this thread.

Here’s a super quick and effective way to support net neutrality.
1. On a computer, (not your phone!), go to:
www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express
2. Enter (under "Proceeding") the numbers 17-108.
3. In comments, say:
I support Title 2 oversight of ISPs and I support net neutrality.
*Fill in the form carefully; they've made it less friendly and impossible to fill in by phone, on purpose.
*Don't be silenced. DO IT NOW!

Signed in blood.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I could ask 20 people at random and none of them would know what the fuck I was on about, that's why.

Exactly. No one understands at all. It's pretty sad really, because if they did 100% of them who won't benefit from it would be for it.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
It's pretty sad really, because if they did 100% of them who won't benefit from it would be for it.

Republicans have no problem convincing their constituents to vote against their own best interests in every election. I'm sure they could do the same with Net Neutrality, because "gubment bad".