Big Red refurbish process gallery.

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Finally finished the process gallery for a refurbish of my big red that's been about a decade in the making. I took some liberties with the look, aspiring for 'big red all grown up':

https://imgur.com/a/ss22O

And in an effort to get the most use out of the big guy I also went all-in on making it friendly with the 161-in-1 cart; so purists probably want to move on. :)

udhqz3M - Imgur.jpg

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
looks sweet, dude. really like those red buttons. well done.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I love the way it looks! I'm usually more of a stock-looking cab kind of guy, but hot damn this looks pretty cool!

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Thanks all, this has got to be the most positive thread I've seen on neo in years. Ha! :glee:

Really gratifying to hear that even the stock-man is into it though. Put a lot of thought into staying true to the spirit of the original design. I do love the stock look of the v3, though I wish they'd gone full red on the sides—the v1 is actually my favorite aesthetically.

Was a little concerned the red trim on black would look too Mortal Kombat, but it balanced out just on the safe side of the line in the end I think.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Nice work, better side art could take this to the next level though.

Some game marquees would help improve the look as well, not sure if game lists maximize the looks of the light up marquees. Just pick your top 4 games and add those to the cab.

Last edited:

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Nice work, better side art could take this to the next level though.

Some game marquees would help improve the look as well, not sure if game lists maximize the looks of the light up marquees. Just pick your top 4 games and add those to the cab.

Yeah, I'm thinking to have this screen lockup vinyl cut a little larger than the current "neo geo" for the sides:
max330.png

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Every time I see someone with a Ver.3 4 Slot cab, it reminds me that I still have mine on the backburner at the moment. I have most of the important stuff fixed like the monitor rejuvenate and mobo recapped, but I still have yet to replace the sticks and buttons. I keep holding off since I want to get my control panel repainted and purchase a new overlay at the same time as getting the new sticks and buttons. On a side note, where did you get your memory card/headphone decal?

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Every time I see someone with a Ver.3 4 Slot cab, it reminds me that I still have mine on the backburner at the moment. I have most of the important stuff fixed like the monitor rejuvenate and mobo recapped, but I still have yet to replace the sticks and buttons. I keep holding off since I want to get my control panel repainted and purchase a new overlay at the same time as getting the new sticks and buttons. On a side note, where did you get your memory card/headphone decal?

I just redrew it and made the backing color black; here's the print file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pypvrs317xm455m/Memory-Card-Sticker_double.tif?dl=0

I couldn't find a place that printed on a durable decal material like the original, so just got it printed on adhesive vinyl. Since it doesn't have to endure any kind of frequent use though it's hardy enough. I'd still like to get it on the real deal someday. Not even sure what the material of the original would be called; some kind of textures, laminated vinyl...

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I just redrew it and made the backing color black; here's the print file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pypvrs317xm455m/Memory-Card-Sticker_double.tif?dl=0

I couldn't find a place that printed on a durable decal material like the original, so just got it printed on adhesive vinyl. Since it doesn't have to endure any kind of frequent use though it's hardy enough. I'd still like to get it on the real deal someday. Not even sure what the material of the original would be called; some kind of textures, laminated vinyl...

Thanks for the file! Yeah, I'm not sure what the original material is either. Something that definitely yellows, that's for sure. I was kinda shocked when I found out a long while back that originals weren't actually supposed to be yellow. :lolz:

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
Thanks for the file! Yeah, I'm not sure what the original material is either. Something that definitely yellows, that's for sure. I was kinda shocked when I found out a long while back that originals weren't actually supposed to be yellow. :lolz:

Yeah mine was like 2/3 yellow and 1/3 white, clearly the amount of exposure to sun or light has something to do with it. Either way it definitely had to go!

bigapple3am

Quiz Detective
The black and red memory card sticker looks rad! And I love the idea of making sheets with magnets for all of the moves.