kof 2003 cart questions

ni-ten

War Room Troll
I have two MVS boards. One MV1ACH with euro SP-S2 bios 1996. One MV1C Asia Bios 1999. I have about 20 MVS carts which work perfectly fine with these two boards. So the boards work.

Yesterday i got a kof2003 english mvs cart. Serial 01376. No gold spot sticker. Original SNK roms/pcbs. This game produces funny glitches, from invisible fighters, to air walking, to sound glitches. Often the game will freeze or reset completely on the MV1ACH. Now comes the funny part, when i play this game on my MV1C(bios ver.6) it works perfectly fine. I cleaned the cart contacts, cleaned the MV1ACH slot. Made no difference.

Can someone explain whats going on? Perhaps kof2003, being one of the final carts isn't compatible with older bios versions? Anyone else who had similar issues with kof 2003?

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    496.3 KB · Views: 87

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have two MVS boards. One MV1ACH with euro SP-S2 bios 1996. One MV1C Asia Bios 1999. I have about 20 MVS carts which work perfectly fine with these two boards. So the boards work.

Yesterday i got a kof2003 english mvs cart. Serial 01376. No gold spot sticker. Original SNK roms/pcbs. This game produces funny glitches, from invisible fighters, to air walking, to sound glitches. Often the game will freeze or reset completely on the MV1ACH. Now comes the funny part, when i play this game on my MV1C(bios ver.6) it works perfectly fine. I cleaned the cart contacts, cleaned the MV1ACH slot. Made no difference.

Can someone explain whats going on? Perhaps kof2003, being one of the final carts isn't compatible with older bios versions? Anyone else who had similar issues with kof 2003?

This is defo not an issue with the bios. This is more related to problems in the P ROM banking on the MV1ACH. As to what could cause this, I'm not sure.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
The glitches usually happen after one minute into a game. Like sometimes my fighter starts flickering, then disappears altogether. Then the timer freezes, "you win" plays and its off to the next round.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It's possible the MV-1ACH has problems with not just the P1 banking logic, but the RAM for the 68000 CPU and graphics chipset (WRAM and VRAM). Perhaps KOF 2003 is pushing the worn out chips involved just past their already lowered tolerance threshold for some reason. Might want to get yourself a diagnostic BIOS chip and see what it tells you.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Yesterday i got a kof2003 english mvs cart. Serial 01376. No gold spot sticker.
KOF2003 never had the golden warning sticker, if that's what you mean. 2001 and 2002 didn't have them either.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
None of the post-SNK Corp releases had the gold warning sticker. The last game to have the sticker would have been KOF 2000. First without I think was Sengoku 3.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Perhaps KOF 2003 is pushing the worn out chips involved just past their already lowered tolerance threshold for some reason.

Sad, but quite likely i suppose.

KOF2003 never had the golden warning sticker, if that's what you mean. 2001 and 2002 didn't have them either.

No no. I meant the round, little gold spot sticker that SNK did stick on cart labels with updated/fixed p roms.

Thanks for all the answers chaps. I guess its time to replace the MV-1ACH.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Let's break it down:

Works on MV1C - Single level PCB
Doesn't work on MV1ACH - Dual level PCB

Check the board interconnects, Sometimes they aren't seated well and once in a while corrosion forms in the socket side of the interconnects.