Shin Waku Waku 7 / 新・わくわく7

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
My dreams of playing a fighting game as a Duck wearing a Sombrero officially end today.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Woah, rad sketches. I really liked this game and a new one would have been pretty fresh. Saturn version is trash of teh original.

GhostSeed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
10 Year Member
That's a pretty amazing tumblr. I like the fact that they post links to the source material there's some great stuff in some of those.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Is that kid with a sword stuck in her head OK? Haha. Too bad this never saw a release. Waku is great. The music! I'm a sucker for colorful and cartoony fighters.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's always good to see these hidden gems even if they never went past storyboards or sketches. I quite like WW7, one of the most colourful games on the Neo.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That makes one hungry... time for me to have an extensive look on Astra Superstars.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
That makes one hungry... time for me to have an extensive look on Astra Superstars.

I've always had mixed feelings about this one. Sprite animations look superb, but I don't like the floating. I guess I just like my fighters on the ground. I could never get into Dragon Ball or Psychic Force games.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
I would have loved to see this game being made!
As a big fan of Waku Waku 7 this would have been an instant buy for me.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
A damn shame, this world wasn't good enough for SunSoft to make us a third fighter on the Neo. The sketches look great, as full of personality as what came before. The girl with the sword on her head looks appropriately nuts. Thanks for sharing! That is one quality tumblr, to say the least.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I never knew I wanted a game with a sombrero duck until now.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Funny, I was listening to the OST for Waku Waku 7 earlier today!

Thanks for the cool link... would have loved to have seen the game come to fruition.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
thank for the post kronos. really like stuff like this. really appreciated the animation of waku waku 7 but always thought the gameplay needed a little more depth and this shin waku 7 might of brought that depth.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Posts like these are so bitter sweet. It's exciting and disappointing at the same time. More information is always good though, so thank you for posting.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
I never knew this was even something Sunsoft considered doing. I was obsessed with Waku Waku 7 and I would play this in the arcade for hours. Actually my first two usernames here were marurun and Dandy-J. Thanks for posting!:)

EDIT: Seeing the great artwork in that post is a little sad with Koki Kita passing away not even a month ago. He was so talented. ;__;

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
You guys are all super kind & awesome.. I'm happy this info is of interest. The blog I randomly came across has a lot of SNK tidbits scattered throughout.. definitely worth reading through. Happy Thanksgiving to all:)

grafik__

n00b
Very cool! Thanks for sharing Kronos, always enjoyed the art direction for the Sunsoft Neo-Geo games, especially Waku Waku 7.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Very interesting read. I'm curious how far that game was in its development.