Problem with a glitch in Pulstar AES

Hi everyone!
I need to ask you about something.
I've recently acquired a Pulstar AES original cart and it works well, except for when I get to boss of Stage 2, where the screen suddenly splits in 2 and then the screen goes black and displays "No signal!"

Has anyone experienced this and could help me out to see what it is?
I've had exactly the same problem with my Pulstar MVS convert which I had used so far.

Thanks a lot for your help. :smirk:

François

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
There is a section called Neo Geo Tech Support just below where you posted this.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Hi everyone!
I need to ask you about something.
I've recently acquired a Pulstar AES original cart and it works well, except for when I get to boss of Stage 2, where the screen suddenly splits in 2 and then the screen goes black and displays "No signal!"

Has anyone experienced this and could help me out to see what it is?
I've had exactly the same problem with my Pulstar MVS convert which I had used so far.

Thanks a lot for your help. :smirk:

François

Check your PM

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Pulstar does NOT like many LCDs and it certainly doesn't like the framemeister.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Is it maybe possible that Pulstar (being a very dark & deep space interstellar themed shooter) utilizes many dark colors & shades of black in its' color palette and as such we have a scenario similar to "The Immortal" for the NES. Maybe?

It may also be the "loading" effects that the game appears to give during scene wipes & background changes. The programmers didn't do so great there. I mean. Kind of related, as much as I love Pulstar, I always hated that screen glitch in the intro. Looks so sloppy. And they shouldn't have shown gameplay in the intro either. It breaks up the flow of the introductory story.

The games a 10, don't get me wrong, but it could have been a 12 like R-Type. LOL

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The NGCD version doesn't show gameplay in the intro.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I had no problems on the Framemeister. I have the sync mode set to Auto.

Ok but do you have the same TV as OP? LCD TVs aren't like CRTs, results greatly depend on which model you have.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ok but do you have the same TV as OP? LCD TVs aren't like CRTs, results greatly depend on which model you have.

Again This. It depends on the TV. If I plug into my Samsung Plasma I get the Stuttering with my HD retrovision cables, If I plug into my Samsung LCD, I don't. It's not a Plasma/LED/LCD thing, just depends on the model.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
This is something I have looked at in the past (there is probably a mention in one of the neoSD threads I think). This game does something with the pallettes that some converters / newer TV's do not like.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
For sure. I'm using a Samsung 60" 1080p LED and haven't had problems.

The flicker between scenes on this game reminds me of what some old TVs would sometimes do when the Saturn or PS1 would change resolutions after the bootup screen. So back then I didn't think much of it. Of course we know that the Neo always outpus 240p, so that can't be it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This is something I have looked at in the past (there is probably a mention in one of the neoSD threads I think). This game does something with the pallettes that some converters / newer TV's do not like.

Yep, that's what you were helping me with Raz. It completely screws up on the stage 2 boss. Sometimes you may get lucky and you can beat him, but the problem gets MUCH worse further in the game.

I have a patched file somewhere on my hard drive, but it will only get you past stage 2.

Some LCD's Pulstar will work on just fine. I use to play it all the time on my old Vizio LCD before it finally went out on me, but I've tried 3 other LCD's since then, and none of them work.

You either need to get someone to fix the game for modern displays, get a CRT, or use trial and error till you find an LCD Pulstar likes.

It definitely sucks, I feel your pain.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yep, that's what you were helping me with Raz. It completely screws up on the stage 2 boss. Sometimes you may get lucky and you can beat him, but the problem gets MUCH worse further in the game.

I have a patched file somewhere on my hard drive, but it will only get you past stage 2.

Some LCD's Pulstar will work on just fine. I use to play it all the time on my old Vizio LCD before it finally went out on me, but I've tried 3 other LCD's since then, and none of them work.

You either need to get someone to fix the game for modern displays, get a CRT, or use trial and error till you find an LCD Pulstar likes.

It definitely sucks, I feel your pain.

I have never had any issue with Pulstar on my LCD, but then again, the neo is connected to it via composhite, does it have anything to do?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The problem is solved. CRT (as always) solved someone's retrogamers ass.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have never had any issue with Pulstar on my LCD, but then again, the neo is connected to it via composhite, does it have anything to do?

I tried RGB, with xrgb, then component, no xrgb on several diplays. None of them worked