What are you all drinking? Post a photo. Bitch.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Unfortunately not, there were 5 bottles for the 70-ish people there. Got shut out last night too for these guys as well. Surprisingly I thought the 10 year was the best.

View attachment 47897

*I have no idea why this shit is going sideways

I’ve heard from many that the Pappy 23 isn’t all that amazing. Personally, I feel there is a far smaller range when it comes to bourbon. Worst or the worst vs best of the best just isn’t a vast as it can be with scotch.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I’ve heard from many that the Pappy 23 isn’t all that amazing. Personally, I feel there is a far smaller range when it comes to bourbon. Worst or the worst vs best of the best just isn’t a vast as it can be with scotch.

10 was the best followed closely by the 23 then it went 20>12>15. The 12 and 15 were NOT good, at all.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
IMG_20171217_192727310~01.jpg

This was on the menu this weekend from one of my favorite breweries.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
PImik1h.jpg

For a few years now, I've been passing this one up. I've done some reading about who makes Kirkland's Speyside single malt...and it seems it is a mass producer that makes other brands:

http://alexandermurray.com/product-page/#/all-products

Anyway...they offer this 18yr for $55, the 21yr for $79, and the 25yr for $99. Costco doesn't always have all of them around, at the moment they're not carrying the 21 or 25. I've passed on this 18 for a very long time and finally decided to give it a go.

Long story short, it's pretty solid. It's bottled at 92 proof (Levit 18 is 86 proof). I sat it side by side with my Glenlivet 18...and while I found the livet to be smoother and more refined, it wasn't by a large amount. I'll say that until they setteled down, the nose of the two was quite similar. After settling, I found the Kirkland to have a bit more sulfur in the nose...not 100% why I was picking up on that.

Anyway, I'd easily place this between the Livet 15 and the 18. Not quite as refined at the livet...but nearly half the price. Long story short, I don't regret buying it. I'll say that for the same $$, a good bottle of bunnahabhain 12, or glenmorangie quinta ruban are better bang for the buck...but if you're looking for a super-close-to-Glenlivet-18 for nearly half the price...look no further.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That is very cheap for an 18 year old single malt, the price for the 25yr is even more so. Sure it ain't just grain alcohol with caramel colouring?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That is very cheap for an 18 year old single malt, the price for the 25yr is even more so. Sure it ain't just grain alcohol with caramel colouring?

That's part of the reason why I put it off for so long...

What turned me around to the possibility is their superb for the $$ Anejo Tequila:

http://www.tequila.net/tequila-reviews/anejos/kirkland-signature-tequila-anejo.html
https://www.proof66.com/tequila/kirkland-anejo-tequila.html

Well under $20 for a 1L of anything Anejo is unheard of...but it is really solid stuff for the money.

The 18yr scotch is a solid effort...and really does taste a ton like the offerings from the Glennlivet/fiddich line.

Like I said earlier...anymore, I've kind of moved on from the "higher end" offerings from the those two. Like I said earlier, for $50, Bunnahabhain 12 really is a punch in the mouth, it's amazing.

I don't regret buying the bottle...I really was curious as to how good it could be for that price.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
tW6aOBk.jpg

Holiday starts now! Bought a bottle of this Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey. It wasn't very good. Which was surprising since I really love their Pure Malt whiskey. Ended up putting it in the freezer and using it for shots instead, a crime somewhere I'm sure, but it ended up making it a lot more palatable. Mind, I was already 4 grenades in by the time it was cold enough. I do have a soft spot for ghetto malt liquor though.
Happy Holidays all!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
1.jpg

Went from 40C to a massive thunderstorm with hail and now 17C so it's time for Wine with ice cubes.. I know I know it's blasphemy but fuck you it's hot and weird here and I want my shit chilled god damn it.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Bought a bottle of this Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey. It wasn't very good.

I was disappointed as well. I was expecting it to be smoother. I wasn't crazy about Nikka Whisky from the Barrel, either, but on a plus side, it was 51%. When it comes to Japanese brands, I enjoy Suntory's selection. Hakushu 12yo is superb, so is Yamazaki 12yo. To be fair, Nikka's Yoichi and Miyagikyo and excellent.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was disappointed as well. I was expecting it to be smoother. I wasn't crazy about Nikka Whisky from the Barrel, either, but on a plus side, it was 51%. When it comes to Japanese brands, I enjoy Suntory's selection. Hakushu 12yo is superb, so is Yamazaki 12yo. To be fair, Nikka's Yoichi and Miyagikyo and excellent.

I'd love to try more Japanese whiskey. All I have at the moment is a bottle of Hibiki Japanese Harmony...which is very good. I wish a local place would have tastings for Japanese offerings...

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I'd love to try more Japanese whiskey. All I have at the moment is a bottle of Hibiki Japanese Harmony...which is very good. I wish a local place would have tastings for Japanese offerings...

Nikka the Taketsuru is very similar to macallan 12. That and the age stated hibikis are my favorite

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Try a bottle of Nikka Pure Malt, IMO it’s the best Nikka they put out. I too enjoy the Suntory selection, it’s a good default for Japan whiskey.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Seeing as there is some whisky talk going on and it was my last day at work...

SCOTCH TIME!

1.jpg

It's not anything special, I'm not sure if it's even any good but it's got one purpose and so far it's doing just that.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Aright cockers, I'll get in on this. Need to open a new bottle anyway.

This is the lower end Aberlour but I can strongly recommend the A'Bundah Aberlour - 60% cask strength. Its the shit.

20171222_190745.jpg

Only photos of booze in this thread. Ban pls.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
JaponskieWhiskyHibikiYamazaki.jpg

Since we're on a subject of Japanese whisky, it turned out one of the markets in my home town has a booze section which is out of this world. Their Japanese whisky selection alone was massive. Got the Yamazaki that time, but I kind of regret not getting that 16yo Yamazakura on the right.

YamazakiSingleMalt12Years.jpg

I probably have a picture of the whole section somewhere, but I couldn't find it. It's a sight to behold, though.

Last edited:

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Thats a good looking shelf.

I have the Hibiki 17 year in the cupboard. Had the Yamazaki before.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
View attachment 47979

Since we're on a subject of Japanese whisky, it turned out one of the markets in my home town has a booze section which is out of this world. Their Japanese whisky selection alone was massive. Got the Yamazaki that time, but I kind of regret not getting that 16yo Yamazakura on the right.

View attachment 47978

I probably have a picture of the whole section somewhere, but I couldn't find it. It's a sight to behold, though.

How is the Yamazaki 12? I've seen that bottle around before and always wanted to try it.

Around my parts, you won't see any Hibiki 12(or older) anywhere. All I could ever find is the Japanese Harmony.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
No on the expensive shit like you guys:

Finishing this bottle:
a6wsJUml.jpg

Got a can of this for xmas day:
Ayj5Aj1l.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
FOSTAS MAAAATE!

Never seen that can design before, I like how it says 'Premium' hahaha.