New Arcade Sticks!

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Just wanted to show off some of the arcade sticks I've been working on for the past year. I've never cared for the tilted angle of the stock AES arcade stick, and the kidney bean version was always too small. I decided that I wanted to make something that'd have some more aesthetic options and was much better ergonomically (at least to my tastes) and this is the result!

IMG_20170609_174419sm.jpgIMG_20171012_191605sm.jpgIMG_20170830_141901sm.jpgIMG_20171012_160840sm.jpgIMG_20171104_133913sm.jpg

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Looks great. What did you use for the cases?

Thanks!

They're actually completely made from scratch save for the buttons themselves and the cable. The case is MDF, with melamine laminate on the sides. Top and bottom are etched acrylic with cardstock underneath for color (could also have printed art there, too).

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
they all look sweet. especially the big red inspired one. i always had a soft spot for the big red inspired custom sticks.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Wow those look great, I can't even pick a favorite!

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
they all look sweet. especially the big red inspired one. i always had a soft spot for the big red inspired custom sticks.

Yeah, my personal stick is the striped one. It really stands out compared to the others. Though the all red buttons / ball top / sides with the black top and bottom is probably my second favorite, even though it doesn't follow any Neo Geo aesthetic.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nice sticks OP. little too shiny for me, but I like the black/red one (if it didn't say "retrosomeshit" on it, it would be even better).
What parts did you use for stick/buttons?

in honor of madman
:spock:

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
nice sticks OP. little too shiny for me, but I like the black/red one (if it didn't say "retrosomeshit" on it, it would be even better).
What parts did you use for stick/buttons?

Early on I wasn't sure whether I wanted to plaster "NEO GEO", "SNK" etc. all over the top of them, so a couple ended up with my company's logo (Retro Stockpile). Ultimately it seemed appropriate to match the aesthetic of them to the hardware they're going to, so pretty much all of the tops now have some variation of what appears on a console/cabinet/controller. I have made a couple wooden tops like this that don't have the acrylic look!

The buttons and stick are all Seimitsu parts. They mount more securely than Sanwa stuff, and there's not a perceptible difference in feel in my opinion.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
They look great, well done..

I need a couple of decent sticks, you started selling yet? :A:

Seimitsu are my favourite by a long way, I find Sanwa too sloppy for my tastes! :glee:

The Seimitsu LS-40-01 is perfect and fitted to all my candy cabs.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I have made a couple wooden tops like this that don't have the acrylic look!
Wood sounds great (pics? ;-)). I love the cooling aspect of metal, you should try it...

The buttons and stick are all Seimitsu parts. They mount more securely than Sanwa stuff, and there's not a perceptible difference in feel in my opinion.
good choice, personally I mostly go for JLF+Seimitsu buttons, feels best to me.

I need a couple of decent sticks, you started selling yet?
it would appear so

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Seimitsu are my favourite by a long way, I find Sanwa too sloppy for my tastes! :glee:

The Seimitsu LS-40-01 is perfect and fitted to all my candy cabs.

I definitely prefer Seimitsu as well. And it mounts more securely in the enclosure than Sanwas, so it was pretty much the ideal choice. These have the LS-32 in them.

Wood sounds great (pics? ;-)). I love the cooling aspect of metal, you should try it...

I'd definitely like to get into metal working, but it's like black magic to me right now. But a nice aluminium top would be awesome on these. Sadly I don't have any photos of the wood tops. They were really for the prototypes, but they'd be etched the same as the acrylic, epoxy filled, and sanded/finished. There's an exotic wood dealer near me, so I could get a hold of some pretty nice looking stuff to put on the top, too. I think a purpleheart top would look really good for a more general use fightstick.