New Around These Parts

fdasta0079

n00b
Hello, I'm Frank. New around these parts. Looking to get back into arcade machine collecting. Also hoping to get my 1-slot MVS board off of a piece of plywood and into an actual cab again at some point :D

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I hear cab prices have really been going up the past few years.

fdasta0079

n00b
In my experience, yeah. I remember being able to get stuff for around $200, now it seems that $400-$600 is the low end.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
In my experience, yeah. I remember being able to get stuff for around $200, now it seems that $400-$600 is the low end.

In my experience... i would suggest shit goes up in price when factor things like:

...arcades going out of business... and moving to one armed bandits...
...limited tech help...
...arcades finding it easier to landfill then resell...
...n00bz coming into the market buying whatever shit they can see...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Are you trying to buy a wood cab or a candy? Candy starts at 600 for mostly crap, but workable condition on the east coast. 750 gets you a good cab, after that the sky is the limit in most instances.

It's sad to think that Taito did this exact thing. :(

fdasta0079

n00b
I'd love a candy, but most are out of my budget right now. I think I'm going to try to buy a bombed-out Golden Tee or something else common and do a conversion, since I have all the parts from my MVS still.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'd love a candy, but most are out of my budget right now. I think I'm going to try to buy a bombed-out Golden Tee or something else common and do a conversion, since I have all the parts from my MVS still.

You'd be better off getting a Dynamo or some other smaller footprint cab. Plus moving a Golden Tee is like moving a house.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,

Apparently, this was a thing already in the early 90s. I knew a son of an arcade op. He used to show me all of the stuff he'd get from the kits, MVS kits among them. Movelists, flyers, all sorts of stuff. He'd just take it, cut it up, doodle on it, throw it away. Anyways ... They went out of business, and apparently thought selling those old wooden cabs was a bad idea. So the guy literally left them by the dumpsters, but before he left, him and his friend smashed the cabs pretty much to pieces. Just because.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
In the age of recycling it'll be even harder to obtain old hardware. The iphone 20 and playspacestation 34 will be completely made out of plastic and aluminium, melted down and reused for the next iteration.

fdasta0079

n00b
Apparently, this was a thing already in the early 90s. I knew a son of an arcade op. He used to show me all of the stuff he'd get from the kits, MVS kits among them. Movelists, flyers, all sorts of stuff. He'd just take it, cut it up, doodle on it, throw it away. Anyways ... They went out of business, and apparently thought selling those old wooden cabs was a bad idea. So the guy literally left them by the dumpsters, but before he left, him and his friend smashed the cabs pretty much to pieces. Just because.

That's fucking terrible, but I suppose to a lot of these guys it was just business.

fdasta0079

n00b
In the age of recycling it'll be even harder to obtain old hardware. The iphone 20 and playspacestation 34 will be completely made out of plastic and aluminium, melted down and reused for the next iteration.

But at that point everything will be on mindlinked virtualized FPGAs. Downloadable hardware! /s

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
can make you familiar with my parts... that's what you were asking for, right?
I could be a friend to you.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
can make you familiar with my parts... that's what you were asking for, right?
I could be a friend to you.

S4_g8T.gif

Uhhhhh, I'm good, thanks.

Welcome, Frank. Have thick skin around here; don't post in the War Room until you feel ready; and stay out of the market until you've contributed for awhile. Good luck!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I could give you just the tip... that's what you were saying, right?