Electric Shavers

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I've never had one but have been thinking about getting one. Been looking at reviews and such, but still can't quite make my mind up. I was curious what everyone here uses and if anyone uses an electric what kind. Also, the whole rotary vs foil deal, without every using one I've no idea what kind would be better.

Personally, I'm not a fan. I've been shaving my head for ages now, and I thought a good electric shaver would make things more convenient. I bought a Philips. Waterproof, so that I could use it in the shower. It was OK, but it wasn't anywhere as close of a shave a regular razor would give me. Ironically, it took longer with the electric shaver, because I had to go over the same spots multiple times. In the end, it turned out it wasn't that waterproof and it broke. I didn't miss it.

Years later, I saw a good deal on a Braun shaver, and Philips being rotary, I was always curious about foil. I went for it, and regretted the purchase instantly. Maybe it was this particular shaver's fault, but if it wasn't, foil was not a way to go for me, at all. It was barely taking anything off. After using it twice, or attempting to, I cleaned it out completely, sterilized it and gave it to my father in law. I said he could throw it away if it didn't work for him. I'm not sure if he used it at all.

It's safety razors for me, all the way. I've been using Gillette's, but gave Wilkinson a shot starting this summer. It's basically the same thing. Quick and convenient. At this point, electric shavers are an almost impossible sell for me. It would take a lot to convince me to get one at this point. It's not worth it for people looking for a close shave.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
it takes me longer to shave with and electric then it does with blade. so i go with blade.

and blades are just more convenient imo.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have a cheap Braun electric shaver and use it once or maybe twice a week. Never had a prob with sensitive skin but still dislike shaving so I spend as little time and money with/on it as possible.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Foil sucks balls. Was not at all happy with the one I tried for a while. I used a rotary for quite a while and it was okay enough if you don't need everything to be perfect. They're fast.

Used a hand razor on and off when I had a gf/w who insisted. Took longer but yeah, closer shave for sure.

Now I just use a beard trimmer on everything once a week when I shave my head.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Sage, you probably have a contact allergy.

Buy a better-quality trimmer that allows you to more precisely dial in your desired length. Like the type of deal that a barber uses to give someone a fade.

Hmm, OK. I'm going to try that Whal one that is apparently the best thing ever.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Fuck that shit. I use an old Gillette safety razor from way back in the day. You can get like 100 blades on Amazon for maybe $12. Close shave, no razor burn, what else can you ask for?

Me too. I use a brush and shave soap as well. Less than $10 per year for a super clean shave. I use a 1930's Gillette Bostonian. Thing is excellent. I like to pick up old safety razors when I come across nice ones. I have a 60's Gillette Slimboy Adjustable too. I still have my eyes open for a nice Fatboy though.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Me too. I use a brush and shave soap as well. Less than $10 per year for a super clean shave. I use a 1930's Gillette Bostonian. Thing is excellent. I like to pick up old safety razors when I come across nice ones. I have a 60's Gillette Slimboy Adjustable too. I still have my eyes open for a nice Fatboy though.

Same here; I have a whole shelf full of them. I snag them whenever I see them, because when I get into conversations about shaving with guys that I know, and they complain about their current system, I just give them an old safety razor and a pack of blades.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I use both an electric shaver and standard hand razors on my face but only the electric one on my head (I keep my hair buzzcut most of the time). I agree that normal razors generally give a much cleaner/closer shave than an electric razor, but electric is also faster and less messy in my opinion. I never get razor burn from the electric one either, although I do occasionally nick an ear lobe with it if I'm not being careful. Periodically cleaning/oiling the blades on the electric razor isn't much fun either, but it doesn't take too long to do. So, in short, depending on how much time I have, and what I'm trying to accomplish, I switch back-and-forth between the two.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Same here; I have a whole shelf full of them. I snag them whenever I see them, because when I get into conversations about shaving with guys that I know, and they complain about their current system, I just give them an old safety razor and a pack of blades.

That's exactly what I do! That's hilarious. I gave one to my Brother and 1 to a guy from my Church. Unfortunately, my Brother took a commercial flight to Afghanistan when he was deployed and they took his blades and then he lost the razor.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I started with blades when I was young, but the only way I could get a close shave was to go against the grain, which just ripped up my skin and turned my face into an irritated mess. Shaving with the grain left me with a ton of stubble.

My first electric was a Braun foil. Hated it. It also chewed up my skin.

Once I switched to Philips rotary wet/dry, I stopped having problems. I can move it in a circular motion against the grain and get really, really close, and using it wet with cream leaves me with a super smooth shave. I've only ever bought their high-end model, though. Not sure how much difference there is at the lower end.

None of this matters anymore because I stopped shaving and now only trim with a #2 guard. Every woman I've ever dated agrees I look better like this anyway. Life is good. jro has the right idea.

Fuck shaving, seriously.