Limited Edition Video Games-Last One That Was Worth The Hype For You?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I was going through some of my old gaming shit to see what I wanted to get rid of and a thought occurred to me when I was sifting through the various Limited Editions that I'd acquired over the years.

Most of them were crap releases.

Very few, in fact, have really held their sentimental value for me over time. If you look at what most of them come with, they're usually pretty underwhelming versions.

I had a question for those of you that buy LEs/CEs.

Do any still stand out for you? Do you own any where you look at them and think it was worth it? There are a handful for me that still impress me to this day but the ones that I am still the most happy with are:

Dungeons and Dragons: Mystara Chronicles (PS3, Japan Import):

D&D Limited Edition Artwork.jpg

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC):

The Witcher 2 LE.jpg

I'm just curious to see how long these hold their value for you guys.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
The only newer shit that’s really wowed me is the Dark souls 3 and the fallout 4 collectors edition. Most le/ce now is just the game with a slipcover and a cd. The past LE stuff I have that I really like are the psp YS games. I thought I’d be more impressed with the Tales series stuff, but it just becomes generic anime shit after awhile.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cotton 2 that came with a calendar.

That huge ass Mega Man boxset for PS1 was pretty dope too.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Fire Emblem Fates with all three scenarios plus other goodies. Most special editions are not worth it in my opinion.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The fact we have to think so hard about this really shows how pointless these LE sets are becoming.
Most LE's are nothing more than:
ArtBook, Music CD, and maybe a plastic figure.

They are getting to the point where the game is in the standard jewel case, so there's nothing to set it apart from retail other than the plastic crap.

I liked the Pier Solar set for the Dreamcast. It was nice and compact.
I don't think I have bought anything LE since then.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was made apparent to me years ago that these things are 0% designed for a person like me, I have no interest in the what so ever.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The only extras I ever cared about were the cloth or paper maps that would come with old crpgs. Skyrim had a decent paper map and I aleays enjoyed the might and magic maps. Those usually came with every version of the game though.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oh my god Taiso this thread was made for me. I think the last LE I bought was probably Odin Sphere Storybook Edition. I have a lot of others that I just haven't sold yet mostly because I don't want to ship them, but I'd like to get rid of them.

I've always had a special fondness for Metal Gear stuff...though I just sold my Phantom Pain and Revengence LEs to LastBlade here...which I am already kind regretting. That lamp was pretty cool...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
LRG completely lost me when they started doing alternate art and LE sets. I haven't checked, but I bet they probably do Chaser alternate art.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Great thread Taiso! In fact last weekend, I dumped 90% of my LE/CE crap off at my local retro game store and used the proceeds to buy some games on my short list (almost done all my retro game collecting). I've never been crazy about the LE/CE stuff by and large, and really only bought the ones that I did for the steelbook cases (I'm a sucker for those) and the art books (as an animator, I have a massive library of art books for reference material); suffice to say, I stripped out these bits, and sold the rest.
I much prefer the mid-tier limited edition releases, like the release for Bloodborne: steelbook and art book in a double wide (game case) box; simple, to the point, ISN'T MASSIVE AND SHELF CONSUMING! The mid-tier for Uncharted 4, first prints for Yakuza Kiwami and Valkyria Chronicles, Bravely Default and Bravely Second CE's, and CE's for Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 are all examples of simple and to the point with the items that interest me.
I find the statues to be a big turnoff; they feel cheap, and the sculpts are almost always lousy (especially the faces). If there has to be a statue inside a CE/LE, I think Square Enix had the right of it with FFXV and Tomb Raider when the included a Play Arts Kai figure instead of a statue. In those two instances, at least there was something more interactive for the 'statue' offering, which I ended up keeping in both instances.

I'm now at the point where I'd rather buy a game that had a steelbook from a CE/LE used online and let some other schmuck spend a fortune on these over priced editions at launch. The MVC:I CE comes to mind as particularly ludicrous: $249.99 CAD for a bunch of useless junk (not even an art book for that price!?), and all I want is the steelbook. I've become very selective about what CE/LE's I'll pick up now, with a prime example being the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 2 CE for Switch which is 'all killer no filler' in the pack-in department.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Pop'n Music 9's Limited Edition is a personal favorite because it came with a ceramic Cup-kun and some other cafe-centric items.
PA.04856.002.jpg

Probably the ultimate LE that I bought was the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Advent Pieces box set. That thing is monstrous in size. It also came with an edition of FFVII International that you could hand on your wall.
fDVDJAFINALVII.jpg

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Ive never bought LE stuff , just seems like a waste of money. Have any of these gone up in value? Last gen and this gen

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't really want a bunch of plastic trinkets or statues.

I like a nice soundtrack CD or art book but that's about it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Metroid Return Of Samus for 3DS. The sound track and reversible box art was worth the measly extra 10 bucks.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Last CE I bought was Overwatch digital, on release. I got some extra skins.

I don’t get the appeal of CE/LE games.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Culdcept Revolt 3DS was a nice SE. Persona 5's SE was worth it.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I like special editions that come with a metal steelbook case.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Shit, I didn't even think about stuff I bought just for OSTs

Ys, Darius, Silent Hill.

Rez, Thumper.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Telltale's Walking Dead Collector's Edition.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I have never bought a limited edition anything because they're bullshit. Just like the 'collectors' edition or any other supposedly special release which of course sells millions anyway. You buy a game and you play that game, move on.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
LE's ruin shelf uniformity :shame:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I bought the Big Boss PSP for Peace Walker when it came out. I wanted to play it on a TV, and the only other PSP I had was a 1000 model.

The game was well worth it, but when the HD Edition came out I sold the set.