What AES carts are Bootleggers Destroying to make Conversions & Boots?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm curious about this as I see a lot of loose AES inserts on eBay, and normally the sellers are also selling conversions and bootlegs.

Fatal Fury 3, and Samurai Spirits III seem to be the games I see the most inserts for on eBay.

I also remember many years ago, people saying Sengoku 3 was a prime target, and that's why it is so scarce now.

Are there specific AES games the bootleggers and Converters have to use to make these copies? Or can they just sac anything?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Back then when Sengoku 3 flooded the Neostore and was dirt cheap, about 100+ carts were sac'ed to convert other games.

Japanese FF3 and SS3 were also a lot requested carts as the boards were perfect for a direct rom swap. KOF96 was also one of the chosen ones.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Besides the mentioned FF3 & SS3; SS2 can be used for earlier games, MS1 NTM possible...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Hmm.. There must be a lot of Samurai Spirits II out there then. Obviously I guess. It's only recently started to raise in value.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
KOF97. It's a bit pricy nowadays, but I remember paying $55 for my complete japanese copy. Back then it may have made sense even though games like KOF96 and FF3 used to go for ~$35 on eBay.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Fury 3, Samurai 3, & KOF '95 are the top 3 most common neogeo home carts used for conversions.
Even now, 20+ years later, they are still quite plentiful & readily available in the $100 range.