Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Masons... Templar Knights... Weird Cults... Religions...

  1. #1
    Calvin & Hobbes

    Rot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    InChatKthx
    Posts
    9,035

    Arrow Masons... Templar Knights... Weird Cults... Religions...

    Anyone a member of such organisations... and WTF do you do there?

    xROTx

  2. #2
    Crazed MVS Addict

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    Anyone a member of such organisations... and WTF do you do there?

    xROTx
    As we say, if you want to know, you need only to ask to join. :P

  3. #3
    Crawley's Sergeant
    fakeXsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    5,388
    Oh, you know, volunteering in the community, pizza parties beneath the Denver airport, sacrifices to Moloch. Normal stuff.

  4. #4
    Calvin & Hobbes

    Rot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    InChatKthx
    Posts
    9,035
    Quote Originally Posted by wju2004 View Post
    As we say, if you want to know, you need only to ask to join. :P
    Is it like secret handshakes and wearing one leg of your trousers slightly up?

    ALSO... if you're part of a secret organisation... do they help you climb the social/business ladder? or help you become a serial killer like in The Mentalist...

    xROTx

  5. #5
    Crazed MVS Addict

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    Is it like secret handshakes and wearing one leg of your trousers slightly up?

    ALSO... if you're part of a secret organisation... do they help you climb the social/business ladder? or help you become a serial killer like in The Mentalist...

    xROTx
    It can help you make connections, but doens't mean you're going to climb any ladder to anywhere.

    But we aren't trying to take over the world. Hell, we can't even decide what to eat after the meeting.

  6. #6
    Likes Football.
    Lives in teh USA.
    Go Figure.
    JoeAwesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,444
    Don't forget the Skulls, Stonecutters and the CotFSM.
    Take a bite out of crime.

  7. #7
    Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
    KagerouSama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    A State Whose Motto Is: Wisdom, Justice, & Moderation.
    Posts
    4,985
    There's always the Sama Conspiracy.
    You could ask Kickin'Wing...
    If he didn't fall victim to the Sama Conspiracy, that is.

  8. #8
    There can be only one. Syn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    Posts
    5,530
    My father was a mason and when he passed I had a bunch of books on the subject to decide what to do with. The mason's meant a lot to him so out of respect I disposed of them without checking them out. Well, respect and I had zero interest in reading the books.

  9. #9
    macebronian Poonman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ( ͜ʖ͡)╭∩╮
    Posts
    9,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn View Post
    My father was a mason and when he passed I had a bunch of books on the subject to decide what to do with. The mason's meant a lot to him so out of respect I disposed of them without checking them out. Well, respect and I had zero interest in reading the books.
    Their literature is encoded with words and references that only members would get...no point in reading them.

    I still get mail for the previous home owner (who was a 14th degree mason) one envelope had a list of every member in my city with his rank.

    True story time: I woke up in the middle of the night from the sound of a small steel object landing on my nightstand...in the morning I checked to see what it was and I found the old guys masonic ring....I'm still not sure what happened but if more objects keep moving around by themselves I'm gonna have to return the fucking ring.

  10. #10
    I was Born This Ugly.
    smokehouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Two in the nuts and one in the butt
    Posts
    10,972
    My good friend is a Mason...there's really much less to it than most claim. They have get-together events, drink a ton a beer, raise a bunch of $$ for charities...that's about it.

    Religions? I was raised in holy-roller, my wife a Jehova's Witness...neither of us have anything to do with it now. I can write a book on those two religions.
    Got so butthurt, had to have anal surgery...

  11. #11
    Master Cylinder Evil Wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2066
    Location
    В Санкт Петербурге
    Posts
    51,508
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    My good friend is a Mason...there's really much less to it than most claim. They have get-together events, drink a ton a beer, raise a bunch of $$ for charities...that's about it.

    Religions? I was raised in holy-roller, my wife a Jehova's Witness...neither of us have anything to do with it now. I can write a book on those two religions.
    Deuce used to own snakes.

    Probably for his cult of Samurai Shodown RPG Translation Devotees.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

    Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

  12. #12
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany
    Posts
    7,420
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAwesome View Post
    Don't forget the Skulls, Stonecutters and the CotFSM.
    Skullz?

  13. #13
    Likes Football.
    Lives in teh USA.
    Go Figure.
    JoeAwesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    Skullz?
    Skulls.
    Take a bite out of crime.

  14. #14
    schnuth is one
    DUMBASS username.
    ChopstickSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    933
    The Fraternal Order Of Water Buffalos

  15. #15
    Calvin & Hobbes

    Rot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    InChatKthx
    Posts
    9,035
    This is CORY'S Secret cult...

    Luckily... I think the Canadian Authorities finally caught him..

    xROTx

  16. #16
    a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!
    CORY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    5,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    This is CORY'S Secret cult...

    Luckily... I think the Canadian Authorities finally caught him..

    xROTx
    "There has been no explanation as to why five people were not wearing any clothes on a Monday morning in subzero temperatures."

    LMAO

  17. #17
    There can be only one. Syn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by CORY View Post
    "There has been no explanation as to why five people were not wearing any clothes on a Monday morning in subzero temperatures."

    LMAO
    In Finland, they'd be like what were the Dudesons doing?

  18. #18
    Crazed MVS Addict

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Poonman View Post
    Their literature is encoded with words and references that only members would get...no point in reading them.

    I still get mail for the previous home owner (who was a 14th degree mason) one envelope had a list of every member in my city with his rank.

    True story time: I woke up in the middle of the night from the sound of a small steel object landing on my nightstand...in the morning I checked to see what it was and I found the old guys masonic ring....I'm still not sure what happened but if more objects keep moving around by themselves I'm gonna have to return the fucking ring.
    Very true. Most everything that has to do with the degrees is written in code. Takes a while to learn it, trust me.

    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    My good friend is a Mason...there's really much less to it than most claim. They have get-together events, drink a ton a beer, raise a bunch of $$ for charities...that's about it.

    Religions? I was raised in holy-roller, my wife a Jehova's Witness...neither of us have anything to do with it now. I can write a book on those two religions.
    Honestly probably one of the most accurate statements...minus the beer. Not that we can't drink beer, but at least in my state, all lodges, except for the Shriners is dry.

    Sort of odd really since most of the colonial lodges were inside bars.

  19. #19
    MS Paint Master. Renmauzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,273
    Curious question wju2004: Is Masonry considered a religious gathering, or are there Masons that practice a faith like Catholicism and go to church as well as the Masonic gatherings? I'm basically wondering if a gathering is compared to mass, in the same way that Jehova's Witnesses refer to their 'mass' as 'meetings'.

  20. #20
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    ssjlance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    Is it like secret handshakes and wearing one leg of your trousers slightly up?
    Basically. You get together and do weird vaguely ritualistic stuff from time to time, but it's mostly just shooting the shit and raising money for charity. A little bit of God/Jesus seems to be thrown into the mix, but it's not the most important part. I remember having to kiss a bible at one point, which was one of those requests that took me a moment to process.

    "You... want me to kiss the pages of this book? Like, with my mouth? Why? Well, whatever."

    My father was a mason for a while (I guess still is technically, probably, but hasn't had anything to do with them in years). I was briefly in Demolay (Mason related child group for boys) so he could be in the good graces of my uncle, who was in charge of the Demolay group. I went along with it for the one little get-together we had, and then I outright told my uncle I had no interest in ever doing it again when he asked what me and my brother thought. I don't remember what I said. It was fairly polite, but left no room to interpret it as anything less than, "I didn't get it and never want to return if it's up to me."

    The main thing I remember him telling me about was the initiation; they cover up your head in a hood and lead you somewhere, and proceed to knock the shit out of you. Not like a sustained beating, but they give you a good smack to the head and knock you to the ground. More of a light hazing than actual assault.
    HORRIBLE ATMOSPHERE

  21. #21
    NEST Puppet
    Mr. Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopstickSamurai View Post
    The Fraternal Order Of Water Buffalos
    I believe it's called "The loyal order of water buffalo", good sir.

  22. #22
    Crazed MVS Addict

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Renmauzo View Post
    Curious question wju2004: Is Masonry considered a religious gathering, or are there Masons that practice a faith like Catholicism and go to church as well as the Masonic gatherings? I'm basically wondering if a gathering is compared to mass, in the same way that Jehova's Witnesses refer to their 'mass' as 'meetings'.
    Nah. That is one key thing about the Masons is that it's not a religious gathering. Infact, Freemasonry is accepting of all religions. The only group within all the bodies that is truly Christian is the Knight's Templar. Within a lodge, there is to be no discussion of religion, politics or anything of that nature.

    I even heard of a lodge over on Jerusalem that has members that are Jewish, Christian and Muslim.

  23. #23
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    ssjlance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    67
    There's a weird religious vibe to it... definitely in Demolay, at least. There wasn't preaching of Jesus as I recall, but God was mentioned and there was a bible.

    Maybe someone with more knowledge or experience can weigh in on what the hell my memories are about. Most of it's pretty vague, but the whole "kissing the bible" thing is something me and my brother will never, ever forget because it just struck both of us as so weird.

    There's also some distinction between Demolay and the Freemasons, but they're very closely related. It was just fucking weird and I was really uncomfortable the entire time I was there and have forgotten most of it, likely because of how unpleasant I found the general experience to be.

    Wiki link.
    Last edited by ssjlance; 11-11-2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
    HORRIBLE ATMOSPHERE

  24. #24
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,577
    I believe both my grandfathers were a 32nd degree Mason and up in the Scottish Rite. I have some of their books and papers.
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

  25. #25
    Crazed MVS Addict

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjlance View Post
    There's a weird religious vibe to it... definitely in Demolay, at least. There wasn't preaching of Jesus as I recall, but God was mentioned and there was a bible.

    Maybe someone with more knowledge or experience can weigh in on what the hell my memories are about. Most of it's pretty vague, but the whole "kissing the bible" thing is something me and my brother will never, ever forget because it just struck both of us as so weird.

    There's also some distinction between Demolay and the Freemasons, but they're very closely related. It was just fucking weird and I was really uncomfortable the entire time I was there and have forgotten most of it, likely because of how unpleasant I found the general experience to be.

    Wiki link.
    I can understand why that would seem weird and uncomfortable. It was just more symbolic than anything. There are religious tones to most everything in Freemasonry, but there is no set religion. It's really hard to explain, honestly. Probably why people think it's a weird, secret religious cult.

    God is usually reference as "Great Architect of the Universe" as a way of being all encompassing.

    They key for Freemasonry anymore is just the betterment of a person and helping throughout the community. Each lodge tends to have their one big event. Our's is a Gold Scramble where we raise money to give out scholarships to local schools. I know another does a fishing day for the local children, even giving them free fishing poles.

    I've met a lot of people I would otherwise never have met. Not to mention the history of the whole thing is quite interesting.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •