Informations about PC Engine: is this the best version?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I aint confirming or denying anything...

But I would suggest... patience is a virtue and I find it saves a lot of people money in the long run...

xROTx

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Still, if one is out for a piece of history, the best choice aesthetically is the original japanese Duo. It's so eighties with those dabs in shades of blue, violet and green buried in charcoal. Not to mention the base-relief zig-zag -- it's iconic. Probably my favorite design after the Neo. The Rs & RXs look like bland scanner/printer combos in comparison.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
I aint confirming or denying anything...

But I would suggest... patience is a virtue and I find it saves a lot of people money in the long run...

Were I the gambling type, I'd wager that a few more weeks' worth of patience might be all that's required.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I had my eye on a Duo so this is good news :)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
thanks. So, summarizing, the best option could be: PC Engine Duo RX + Arcade Card Duo: with this configuration i could play every game (not the 5 super grafx games) at its maximum quality on a crt tv. And a turbo everdrive like this:
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/turbo-everdrive-turbografx-16-pcengine/

Buth with this card i can only play the rom dumped from Hu Card. I can't play all the cds games, am I right?

Yes, hucards only.

I'd suggest you go with the Duo-R instead of the RX, it's cheaper. You're basically paying a hundred bucks for a crappy 6 button controller. Seriously, the RX controller is pretty bad, don't even bother. As others said, the original Duo is also a good choice but you need to make sure it's been properly recapped before you pull the trigger.

Last edited:

fluxcore

Another Striker
lol @ massive hint coming through just after I've placed an order for an IFU + cd drive. FML

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Probably the stiffest d-pad on any controller I've used. That kinda kills it for me.

It always blows people minds when I let them play with the Duo RX pad how bad the D-pad actually is. The controller looks cool but the d-pad is horrible, save some money and get a Duo R and a Avenue 6 pad if you what to play fighting games.

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Is there any good documentation about what the PCE CD system cards actually do? I.e. how deeply does the game code, as loaded from the disc, care about the CD hardware? Is each game poking at a standard set of registers in all hardware, or is disc access handled by standard routines in the system card? (I'd been thinking about implementing a CD emulator for PCE, because I couldn't decide on what hardware to buy.)

I think they just add extra Ram to allow you play certain games. Similar to the Ram Carts on the Saturn.

What RAZ_HOE said is correct, plus it does have the CD unit bios information on it as well.

Last edited:

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Yes, hucards only.

I'd suggest you go with the Duo-R instead of the RX, it's cheaper. You're basically paying a hundred bucks for a crappy 6 button controller. Seriously, the RX controller is pretty bad, don't even bother. As others said, the original Duo is also a good choice but you need to make sure it's been properly recapped before you pull the trigger.

I found a RX console in good condition on ebay, completely fixed (and RGB, region free, and so on) with standard controller for 299$ (i don't know if i can post the link here...). Is it a good price? I can buy the 6 button controller separately (it is requested for some games i supposed, like street fighter 2...or is this the only pc engine game that need the 6 button joypad?)

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I found a RX console in good condition on ebay, completely fixed (and RGB, region free, and so on) with standard controller for 299$ (i don't know if i can post the link here...). Is it a good price? I can buy the 6 button controller separately (it is requested for some games i supposed, like street fighter 2...or is this the only pc engine game that need the 6 button joypad?)

$299.00 is a great price if the unit isn't yellowed all to hell. There are other fighting games that use the 6 button controller but they are all Arcade Card games.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I found a RX console in good condition on ebay, completely fixed (and RGB, region free, and so on)

Who is the seller? doujindance? If so, I don't know about his recent work, but speaking from experience of a few years ago, his mods are poor quality, imo.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Who is the seller? doujindance? If so, I don't know about his recent work, but speaking from experience of a few years ago, his mods are poor quality, imo.

yes doujindance! Ah it is not good? This:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/PC-Engine-DU...908771?hash=item2cc92fb823:g:~U4AAOSwbw1Z~ogf

I'm wrong, it's an R version. But I read that components of RX version is better than R version

Do you know this seller?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-PC-Eng...439566?hash=item3f8abad48e:g:rHQAAOSw9hdZ-axn

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Ugh. 2-part epoxy will slowly work those solder joints loose with thermal expansion. I learned that the hard way.

Now I glob the 2-part on top of the target chip, leaving the solder joints just outside :keke:

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
You should post another WTB thread for that in the market.

Only if you post another "1. Spam the forum with useless shit. 2. Right to the market! 3. Scoop." fagit thread afterwards....cunt. ;)

Also, do a shot every time the guy says "two-part epoxy."

LOL he does like saying that

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

Last edited:

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Three of the SuperGrafx games are available for PS3/Vita/PSP on the Japanese PSN if you have a JPN account and want to go that route. They're around $6 each and are cross-buy for the three platforms.

Aldynes: https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/オルディネス/cid=JP0555-NPJJ30041_00-ALDYNES00000JG41

Daimakaimura: https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/大魔界村/cid=JP0555-NPJJ30020_00-DAIMAKAIMURAJG26

Battle Ace: https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/バトルエース/cid=JP0555-NPJJ30025_00-BATTLEACE000JG18

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
thanks. So, summarizing, the best option could be: PC Engine Duo RX + Arcade Card Duo: with this configuration i could play every game (not the 5 super grafx games) at its maximum quality on a crt tv. And a turbo everdrive like this:
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/turbo-everdrive-turbografx-16-pcengine/

Buth with this card i can only play the rom dumped from Hu Card. I can't play all the cds games, am I right?

You can play all the CD games, technically, but not on the Everdrive. You just have to burn the game to a CD-R.

Gotta love the old CD based systems that skipped out on copy protection because cheap, easy CD burning wasn't a thing yet.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
thank you! I have read that the Pc engine emulator (mednafen) for xbox (the 1st version) is really good and can emulate the games very well. Did you try it? It can emulate both pc engine (hu card and cd games) and super grafx games too, if i'm not wrong

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
thank you! I have read that the Pc engine emulator (mednafen) for xbox (the 1st version) is really good and can emulate the games very well. Did you try it? It can emulate both pc engine (hu card and cd games) and super grafx games too, if i'm not wrong

I don't know about Supergrafx games, I don't see why not but I haven't tried but it does cd games pretty well. I think I had a issue with Spriggan were the music wasn't in sync with the video. Forget whether it was Spriggan or Lords of Thunder. Could have been a issue with my bin or iso.