Informations about PC Engine: is this the best version?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I'm pretty sure you can put an image on the everdrive to use it as an arcade card.

Nope, you’re confusing the Arcade Card with the Super System 3.0 card needed for the non-Duo PCE CD setups. You can use an Everdrive as a Super System card but not as an Arcade Card. That support won’t be coming to the Everdrive without a hardware revision because the ED doesn’t have enough onboard memory.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Okay, got it. I knew it was something but had it ass backwards.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
EDIT: don't buy an Arcade Card Pro if you get a Duo-RX. It won't work. What you need is an Arcade Card Duo. And no, it's not necessary, unless you really want to play Sapphire or some Neo Geo ports.

Are you sure about that? Bitd, I hadn't heard anyone say the Pro wouldn't work. Overkill, yes, but not that it wouldn't work.

Edit: I liked Sapphire...

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I never got my Pro to work. Could it be my card? Interesting. Well, I now have a total of 5 dead/stuck hucards it seems. Anyone fixing those?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rot just gave us a hint, I would wait.

I know the Everdrive Runs the System Cards but not the Arcade Card. I could be wrong unless they added a update or the new version ed runs the Arcade Card.

Also, there are certain games like Altered Beast CD for example that won't work unless you use a earlier system card. I think there are 3 versions of the system card. Also a Arcade Card designed specifically for the Duo and a Stand Alone Arcade card that works on any PCE/CD combo.

A properly recapped OG PC Engine Duo is soooooo swank.

This, I had my Duo Recapped, Laser Calibrated, and it's been working great for years. IMO the original Duo looks cooler.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Hi guys

i would like to buy the pc engine, the only one missing console in my collection.

I read that the best version is the PC Engine Duo RX, that includes the cd rom, more ram, and can run the 7 games releases for the PC SuperGrafx.

Is this the best version? It is expensive, but if I buy a normal version of PC Engine, than I have to add additional component so...i will spend the same amout of money I think.

Does the Pc Engine Duo RX package include an Arcade Pro card? All the in ebay don't have it but i read that the card is included. Is it necessary for a lot of games?

What do you suggest?

thanks!
Duo-r or rx is all you need for a regular pce duo it better be recapped.Supergrafx,while it just has five games it has gotten expensive to collect for unless you go with a flash cart such as the turbo everdrive.For the system card,arcade pro are for the just the pc-engine for a duo a arcade duo card is fine if you want to play say sapphire or fatal fury special.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I want a jamma pce.

They're great with a supergun.

I never got my Pro to work. Could it be my card? Interesting. Well, I now have a total of 5 dead/stuck hucards it seems. Anyone fixing those?

I haven't heard of anyone fixing dead cards. Have you tried deoxit for them?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
They're great with a supergun.

I haven't heard of anyone fixing dead cards. Have you tried deoxit for them?

I've ran into 1 or 2 dead cards as well. Cards looked mint too and no matter how much I cleaned them or how many different PCE's I tried, nothing would work. One of them I remember being After Burner.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Yup. Altered Beast CD would only work with System Card 1.0. But the CD version is just too slow so I prefer the Hucard version.

Also, there are certain games like Altered Beast CD for example that won't work unless you use a earlier system card. I think there are 3 versions of the system card. Also a Arcade Card designed specifically for the Duo and a Stand Alone Arcade card that works on any PCE/CD combo.

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
Hi guys

I read that the best version is the PC Engine Duo RX, that includes the cd rom, more ram, and can run the 7 games releases for the PC SuperGrafx.

Semantics mostly, but Duo R and Duo RX are EXACTLY the same internally; the only difference is the RX included a 6-button controller in the box. The 6-button controller works with any PC Engine, so the RX has no benefit over an R (though it's equally as good). Also, no Supergrafx games, but everybody beat me to the punch on that. Honestly, it's not worth the extra cash to put together a Supergrafx + PCE CD for the 5 extra games unless you're just a hardcore collector.

Also, two of the 7 games for Supergrafx (the two Darius games) will play on a regular PC Engine. The Supergrafx plays a slightly better version, but they do run on PCE as well. And yeah, the Genesis port of Ghouls 'n Ghosts is roughly on par with the Supergrafx version. If memory serves correct, the Genesis version fixes a glitch that doesn't allow diagonal input in the game, while the Supergrafx version does not fix said glitch.

There are also two different versions of the arcade card - there's the Arcade Card Duo, which is the cheaper option. The Arcade Card Pro, which is meant for regular PC Engine/Supergrafx consoles, seems to go for about 2x to 4x the amount of the Duo version. So, if you're interested in Arcade Card games, the Duo R or RX is the way to go, definitely.

There's also the Games Express card, which is needed if you want to check out the unlicensed CD hentai games. Not necessarily assuming you do, but hey, extra info never hurts.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Is there any good documentation about what the PCE CD system cards actually do? I.e. how deeply does the game code, as loaded from the disc, care about the CD hardware? Is each game poking at a standard set of registers in all hardware, or is disc access handled by standard routines in the system card? (I'd been thinking about implementing a CD emulator for PCE, because I couldn't decide on what hardware to buy.)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Is there any good documentation about what the PCE CD system cards actually do? I.e. how deeply does the game code, as loaded from the disc, care about the CD hardware? Is each game poking at a standard set of registers in all hardware, or is disc access handled by standard routines in the system card? (I'd been thinking about implementing a CD emulator for PCE, because I couldn't decide on what hardware to buy.)

I think they just add extra Ram to allow you play certain games. Similar to the Ram Carts on the Saturn.

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother

As I recall, they just act as memory to store the games from CD while audio/video streams from the disc when/if needed, except the Games Express card, which is just used to allow the unlicensed software to run.

Useful link for if you still want to try and figure out your hardware choice (PCE Duo R or RX is probably the best choice, unless you just really want a Supergrafx w/ CD attachment).

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Have you tried looking through emulator source code? It's usually a source of good information.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
2017 and people are still buying 20+ year old game consoles with only like 5 exclusive games instead of just emulating.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Have you tried looking through emulator source code? It's usually a source of good information.

I assumed that an emulator would ask for a System Card ROM, and execute that - emulating, then, the accesses from the CPU to CD hardware. I guess I could look at the emulated CPU and see what emulated code is actually making those accesses, though.

Shit, now I'm intrigued.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I assumed that an emulator would ask for a System Card ROM, and execute that - emulating, then, the accesses from the CPU to CD hardware. I guess I could look at the emulated CPU and see what emulated code is actually making those accesses, though.

Shit, now I'm intrigued.

Quit spamming us to death and go look. MAME and other source code contains a lot of interesting information in the comments. It's worth a try.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
the only difference is the RX included a 6-button controller in the box.

Probably the stiffest d-pad on any controller I've used. That kinda kills it for me.

So, best Turbo setup?

Not this, :keke:

0q95d7f.jpg