Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Informations about PC Engine: is this the best version?

Informations about PC Engine: is this the best version?

Hi guys

i would like to buy the pc engine, the only one missing console in my collection.

I read that the best version is the PC Engine Duo RX, that includes the cd rom, more ram, and can run the 7 games releases for the PC SuperGrafx.

Is this the best version? It is expensive, but if I buy a normal version of PC Engine, than I have to add additional component so...i will spend the same amout of money I think.

Does the Pc Engine Duo RX package include an Arcade Pro card? All the in ebay don't have it but i read that the card is included. Is it necessary for a lot of games?

What do you suggest?

thanks!

schnuth is one
    DUMBASS username.

Informations about PC Engine: is this the best version?

I'm fairly certain only the Supergrafx will play Supergrafx games, but I've never owned a RX. Wasn't the only difference with the RX the 6 button controller? Arcade card is extra. I'd recommend a Duo-R unless you really want a RX.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopstickSamurai View Post
    I'm fairly certain only the Supergrafx will play Supergrafx games, but I've never owned a RX. Wasn't the only difference with the RX the 6 button controller? Arcade card is extra. I'd recommend a Duo-R unless you really want a RX.
    Yes, you would need a Supergrafx to run Supergrafx games. A Supergrafx CD Combo would pretty much run everything.

I recommend the Duo-R (X), unless your really dead set on playing the few Supergrafx games that are even worth playing.

You would need to buy the Arcade card seperate.
    Last edited by RAZO; 11-04-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.

Quote Originally Posted by RAZ_HOE! View Post
    Yes, you would need a Supergrafx to run Supergrafx games. A Supergrafx CD Combo would pretty much run everything.

I recommend the Duo-R (X), unless your really dead set on playing the few Supergrafx games that are even worth playing.

You would need to buy the Arcade card seperate.
    Yeah, that's what I run, Supergrafx + CD Rom2, and can say just go with the Duo. I've done it both ways, I don't play the Supergrafx games enough to make it worth the extra cost.

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by legolas119 View Post
    Hi guys

i would like to buy the pc engine, the only one missing console in my collection.

I read that the best version is the PC Engine Duo RX, that includes the cd rom, more ram, and can run the 7 games releases for the PC SuperGrafx.

Is this the best version? It is expensive, but if I buy a normal version of PC Engine, than I have to add additional component so...i will spend the same amout of money I think.

Does the Pc Engine Duo RX package include an Arcade Pro card? All the in ebay don't have it but i read that the card is included. Is it necessary for a lot of games?

What do you suggest?

thanks!
    The 5 Supergrafx games are only going to run on a Supergrafx system. It's a different system (16bit) and none of the previous 8 bit PCE can run its games. It's backward compatible though, so it can run regular PCE hucards and CDs with a CD Rom2 or Super CD Rom2 attachment.

There's no system that packs an Arcade Card. You'll need to buy one. The Arcade Card Duo is for the PC Engine Duo/Duo R/Duo RX as well as the Super CD Rom2 attachment. The more expensive Arcade Card Pro is for the OG CD Rom2 setup.

The very best setup that will let you play everything is quite expensive (SuperGrafx + Super CD-Rom2 + Arcade Card). Most people just buy a Duo R (same as RX but without that crappy 6 button controller). Either way, stay away from the OG PC Engine Duo, the caps in them are utter shit.

Build the hammerhead!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpj View Post
    Sometimes, the customer doesn't always KNOW what's right.

Calvin & Hobbes

Ugh... best not suggest anything... but maybe you should wait a few weeks nubster...

Eerrr.. yeah...

xROTx

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rot View Post
    Ugh... best not suggest anything... but maybe you should wait a few weeks nubster...

Eerrr.. yeah...

xROTx
    A PCE project???

Start the rumor mill!!!

My interest is piqued!

ah really? Oh my god...i need to buy a Super Grafx + PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM2 + INTERFACE UNIT IFU-30...it will cost too much, i can't spend all these money
    I could buy a PC Engine Duo RX ( i found a modded version with RGB output, region free, low pass filter switch and so on: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI...E5OTNiMDktNA==)

I can't play the 5 super grafx games (if i'm not wrong: 1941, Aldynes, Battle Ace, Ghouls n’ Ghost e Darius Plus) but probably i can play them with some emulators?

Calvin & Hobbes

ah really? Oh my god...i need to buy a Super Grafx + PC Engine SUPER CD-ROM2 + INTERFACE UNIT IFU-30...it will cost too much, i can't spend all these money
    I could buy a PC Engine Duo RX ( i found a modded version with RGB output, region free, low pass filter switch and so on: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayI...E5OTNiMDktNA==)

I can't play the 5 super grafx games (if i'm not wrong: 1941, Aldynes, Battle Ace, Ghouls n’ Ghost e Darius Plus) but probably i can play them with some emulators?
    I said... wait...

I won't repeat myself here...

xROTx

Guerilla Warrior

Hammerhead FTW I love mine. 1941, G&G & Aldynes are sweet the only 3 S.G. games worth owning imo but worth the hassle just for those.
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.

Quote Originally Posted by cdamm View Post
    Build the hammerhead!
    20171104_173727.jpg

Done! RGB modded to.

Also, recognize anything?

Guerilla Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by FAT$TACKS View Post
    20171104_173727.jpg

Done! RGB modded to.

Also, recognize anything?
    Fuck yeah love it. A monstrosity of a set up but great, could make some sweet new ban hammer images out of it .
    "NG.com breaking balls & crushing dreams since '99".

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

You don't need the interface unit, check FAT$TACKS's picture.

The only Supergrafx exclusive worth playing is Aldynes IMO.
    Last edited by CORY; 11-04-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCF 76 View Post
    Hammerhead FTW I love mine. 1941, G&G & Aldynes are sweet the only 3 S.G. games worth owning imo but worth the hassle just for those.
    yes. I have to consider that:
    1) Ghouls n’ Ghost: I already have the Super Famicom game, i think that it is better than the Super Grafx porting so i can avoid to play it. Probably it is the same game...?! And there is in addition a MEga Drive version of this game, it is a good version it seems so I can buy that version (but ONLY if it is different from the Super Famicom version)
    2) 1941: it's an arcade port, i can play this game in a lot of emulators or collecion released for a lot of console. It isn't necessary to have it for Super Grafx
    3) Battle Ace: I don't like this game
    4) Darius Plus: it's a better version than the PCE version. I don't really need it
    5) Aldynes: yes, i think that this is the only game that i would like to play, but i can't spend (and i don't want spend) a lot of money for only one game, for sure!

I think that the best choice is Duo RX and i can play all the games releases with the only exception of Aldynes (but i can play it with emulators).

Is it necessary to buy the Arcade Pro card? Which are the games that need this card?

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Is it necessary to buy the Arcade Pro card? Which are the games that need this card?
    GOOGLE. SEARCH. FUNCTION.
    >

a.k.a. Mother Teresa

yes. I have to consider that:
    1) Ghouls n’ Ghost: I already have the Super Famicom game, i think that it is better than the Super Grafx porting so i can avoid to play it. Probably it is the same game...?! And there is in addition a MEga Drive version of this game, it is a good version it seems so I can buy that version (but ONLY if it is different from the Super Famicom version)
    2) 1941: it's an arcade port, i can play this game in a lot of emulators or collecion released for a lot of console. It isn't necessary to have it for Super Grafx
    3) Battle Ace: I don't like this game
    4) Darius Plus: it's a better version than the PCE version. I don't really need it
    5) Aldynes: yes, i think that this is the only game that i would like to play, but i can't spend (and i don't want spend) a lot of money for only one game, for sure!

I think that the best choice is Duo RX and i can play all the games releases with the only exception of Aldynes (but i can play it with emulators).

Ghouls'n Ghosts/Daimakaimura and Super Ghouls'n Ghosts/Cho Makaimura are 2 completely different games.

The Genesis version of Ghouls'n Ghosts is pretty good for what it is and it's nowhere near as expensive as the Supergrafx one.

EDIT: don't buy an Arcade Card Pro if you get a Duo-RX. It won't work. What you need is an Arcade Card Duo. And no, it's not necessary, unless you really want to play Sapphire or some Neo Geo ports.
    Last edited by CORY; 11-04-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Crap they're tearing down the Palace of Auburn Hills. I guess it's I-75 & M-59 now.

I want a jamma pce.

Quote Originally Posted by CORY View Post
    Ghouls'n Ghosts/Daimakaimura and Super Ghouls'n Ghosts/Cho Makaimura are 2 completely different games.

The Genesis version of Ghouls'n Ghosts is pretty good for what it is and it's nowhere near as expensive as the Supergrafx version.

EDIT: don't buy an Arcade Card Pro if you get a Duo-RX. It won't work. What you need is an Arcade Card Duo.
    ah ok thanks! I saw the game list that require this card, ok.

Yes the megadrive version is cheaper and in the comparison it seems that it is a good port. So, at last, only Aldynes is missing. This isn't a problem

Help us, Airraid!

schnuth is one
    DUMBASS username.

I just use my Turbo Everdrive in my Supergrafx. Buying those games in the current market makes no sense to me.

Cheng's Errand Boy

I did not know about this "arcade card" until i looked through this lol

My goal is to just get a DuoR and a Turbo Ever Drive and call it a day. When ever that day comes lol

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.

I'm pretty sure you can put an image on the everdrive to use it as an arcade card.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekman1222 View Post
    I did not know about this "arcade card" until i looked through this lol

My goal is to just get a DuoR and a Turbo Ever Drive and call it a day. When ever that day comes lol
    I did that and eventually dubdubdub sold his SuperGrafx w/3 games to me. Best of both.

Thread Information