Thread: Local flea markets.

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.

Local flea markets.

About once a month or so I go out and hit all the local flea markets, junk stores, thrift shops and that sort of thing.

Usually don't find too much of interest but every now and then I turn up something. The thing I've really started to notice is the atmosphere of these places has changed quite a bit over the years.

I suppose a lot of the old regulars have died off and been replaced by a new generation of junk dealers. The pay at the booth places are drying up and more and more of the unattended rent a booth and there is one counter that everything is paid for at, seems to be the kind of places that are taking over.

Without booths manned, there isn't any more getting to haggle, and no one to talk product with. I used to be able to talk to the guys in the booths and a lot of times they would have stuff not in their booths they would be willing to sell. Picked up a lot of deals that way in the past.

Also, there used to be kind of a community. You would go in and get to know the regular dealers, find out who was a huckster, and who was decent, make some contacts, that sort of thing.

This unmanned booth shit just isn't the same. No more old guy playing spoons, or people looking to share their life stories to anyone who would listen. No more history of the objects you're buying. It used to be an experience, an adventure, now it is just a bunch of musty old shit with price tags stuck on it.

Also the crowd is different. Way more uppity nice dressed couples walking around talking about how "Ironic!" this piece is.. or, "talking about pinterest shit."

Some of the same things are still there though. The mentally ill guy out front going along the plaza getting partially smoked cigarettes out of the buckets by the door and smoking them. He's still there.

Also, bought three big totes full of vhs tapes for cheap, and a sweet working B/W tv with a stand. Good haul today.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    How many B&W TVs do you plan on buying?
    >

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.
    Well, not too many more. I would like to have one of the old porthole models, and maybe a big floor console, or one with legs. I would have to get a good deal on them though. I've about got all the B/W sets I want.

Now color, that's a different story. I'm still looking for a nice early 80's color set 19" with dual tuner knobs. I've several late model color sets but plan on getting rid of most of those.

We've got a local game and weaboo convention here every year. They usually set up a big room with game consoles. I was planning on taking part in that next year and bringing a bunch of old tube sets for the vintage games, and hooking up about a half dozen or so old systems for play. Maybe will be able to give some tv sets away to people who want a tube to play on. Hopefully can sell some 2600 crap while I'm there. Maybe set up some 16 player og xbox halo or multiplayer mechassault as I've enough sets and systems to pull that off.

Likes Football.
    Lives in teh USA.
    Go Figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAT$TACKS View Post
    Well, not too many more. I would like to have one of the old porthole models, and maybe a big floor console, or one with legs. I would have to get a good deal on them though. I've about got all the B/W sets I want.

Now color, that's a different story. I'm still looking for a nice early 80's color set 19" with dual tuner knobs. I've several late model color sets but plan on getting rid of most of those.

We've got a local game and weaboo convention here every year. They usually set up a big room with game consoles. I was planning on taking part in that next year and bringing a bunch of old tube sets for the vintage games, and hooking up about a half dozen or so old systems for play. Maybe will be able to give some tv sets away to people who want a tube to play on. Hopefully can sell some 2600 crap while I'm there. Maybe set up some 16 player og xbox halo or multiplayer mechassault as I've enough sets and systems to pull that off.
    How ironic.
    Take a bite out of crime.

Kim
    Kaphwan
    Klan
    I went to one once. No joke there was a guy with an accordion and a monkey on a leash collecting change off people. If you stood there for more than ten seconds you were approached by a money with his hand out. I gave him a nickel, he fucked off.
    cool dude

赤裸裸的汽車人
    I would be fine with my black and white TV if I can fix the image rolling issue it has.
    Official Chat: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/misc.php?do=flashchat

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Chang's Combo Meal #4
    I use to go to a few here every single weekend in the late 90's to mid 2000's. Found some of my greatest finds there. Multiple Little Sampsons, Hagane, sealed Keio Flying Squadron, Metal Warriors, Snatcher... basically everything people go crazy for now in the 8-16 bit era, with exception of Neo Geo and high end TurboGrafx stuff.

I still go every once in awhile, but it's rare because it's near impossible to find anything of value.

I noticed the change around the mid 2000's when the majority of people finally started getting internet, and discovered this stuff was selling on eBay and amazon for real money. That's about the time things changed, and everything was priced according to Amazon. This is also the time the video game collecting really took off from picking old shit up you enjoy, to people actively searching to flip.

Besides that, flea markets have kind of died off here since people moved to eBay, to avoided flea market, and gas fees, on top of the risk of possibly coming home empty handed after dropping $20.00 on a plot for a few hours.

Basically now there is only one option. Go there right before they open, and find the meth heads outside looking for some quick cash. Ask them for video games or whatever they have, and ask them if they can bring some next week. Give them your number, and reach out to them to make sure they will still be there next week. I scored a few things this year that way, like a basically new Commodore 64 in box, with monitor for $25.00. The pickins are slim though. It's sad really.

What I learned is that the OG video game sellers there "make rounds" in the morning, and buy up every single thing of value. That's why you have to get there as they open.

Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots

[B]

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.
    Out at the shops this weekend.

Check out this great deal. So awesome it has to be kept locked in the glass case so no one will steal it. But at that price.. it's a steal!

20171111_125636.jpg

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

someone page the guy with all the jurassic park snes cartridges, he might be looking for another.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

Crazed MVS Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    The pickins are slim though. It's sad really.

What I learned is that the OG video game sellers there "make rounds" in the morning, and buy up every single thing of value. That's why you have to get there as they open.
    Too true. The problem with most flea markets / swap meets / conventions is the other dealers getting early access to the other dealers. Most of the good and even semi good deals get scooped up before the places even technically open. Especially true with video games, but also retro / vintage / antiques etc. Plus people are smarter and everyone has access to the internet. So finding the dope that doesnt realize he has $500 in games and only wants $50 has turned into winning the lottery...and even if he was there, someone else got to it an hour before you did. And going early went from like 8am to 5:30am somehow. Thats just my experience, maybe its different for you guys in different locales but around here it is friggen brutal and has been for years.

Finding uber deals aside, if I do find something I want I find the prices to be so close to or even above ebay I have no drive to buy it there.
    Currently listening to:
    My Tinnitus

赤裸裸的汽車人
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post

someone page the guy with all the jurassic park snes cartridges, he might be looking for another.
    The one in Stacks picture is Rampage Edition.
    Official Chat: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/misc.php?do=flashchat

dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.

Thread Information