Investigative piece on sock puppetry

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/6flYH

Guy follows a troll account posing as UK person,

But account only operates during moscow business hours, and hits on points related to specific anti-Nato issues. UKIP, Brexit, alt-right, crimea, Trump.

All related.

I feel for the people convinced of Brexit, like Rot,

But at least he can have a power vaccuum now.

A fucking power vaccuum, that Brussels can’t save him from.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Its not really sock puppetry tho is it? I don't see that brought up at all. Sock Puppets are multiple accounts run by one person that interact with each other to give off the idea they are being operated by different people. It isn't the same as bot accounts, which end up posting the same things on multiple accounts.

I used to run a sock operation many years ago, with somewhere between 7-9 accounts (I forget) and having to create unique posting styles for each one to use.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Its not really sock puppetry tho is it? I don't see that brought up at all. Sock Puppets are multiple accounts run by one person that interact with each other to give off the idea they are being operated by different people. It isn't the same as bot accounts, which end up posting the same things on multiple accounts.

I used to run a sock operation many years ago, with somewhere between 7-9 accounts (I forget) and having to create unique posting styles for each one to use.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics/russian-oligarch-putin-chef-troll-factory/index.html

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Well ok, he ran a company that had paid shills, one of many. Still don't see the sock puppet thing tho.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well ok, he ran a company that had paid shills, one of many. Still don't see the sock puppet thing tho.

That’s up to you if you want to not see it.

The user was one of many david jones with 8 random numbers after his name. The accounts pick a generic name and then add numbers. There’s a ton of accounts, and more than likely not as many users, but a lot of users in the shop.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Yeah that numbers thing happens with many different types of online accounts. I think it is just easier for them to automate registrations that way. I see it a lot with forum spambots as well. They will use the numbers with the names and email addresses they use. Fortunately, the spam filters have long since learned this tactic.

There are many examples of the copypasta bot activity on Twitter, here is one recent example:
7zPJzFP.jpg

It makes sense for the web, because what they are doing in effect is poisoning the Google search results. News Aggregates and scrapers do the same thing. But looking at it on twitter alone doesn't make any sense.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Well whooops
(The post that was here is now in the "US Citizen married to immigrant? No stimulus for you." thread, where I originally meant to post it.)

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It was for forum infiltration, trust building, long games, etc. I mean, that's the technical aspects of it, but in reality it was a bunch of people getting drunk and having fun on forums... albeit at the expense of the other people on those forums.