Thread: CRT Screen roll during bright flashes *FIXED*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New Challenger

CRT Screen roll during bright flashes *FIXED*

Hi,

This problem only happens when using the RGB SCART Cable, working fine on composite.

It happens during quick flashes like in the original Metal Slug and the end of the intro then the logo metal slug appears on screen after the cannon shell hole.

Here it is recorded on my Setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmKV0vSUE5E

My Equipment
    Japanese AES S/N 121894
    Board version 3-5
    PSU : SEGA-CD 1602-1 10v 1.2A

TV: 32" CRT LG FLATRON

Video Converter
    Shinybow SB-2840 Scart to Component

Scart Cable :
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Neo-Geo-AES-...53.m2749.l2649

Do you think my cable has improper capacitor / resistor installed?

I know that the cable version that I bought is not the best one I guess....

Do you think getting a better quality shielded version like this is worth a try?
    https://retro-access.com/collections...-scart-tv-lead

Thanks
    Last edited by Ricard350; 11-13-2017 at 10:58 AM.

New Challenger

Forgot to ask, is it dangerous for my TV if I continue using that cable? Or should I go back to composite?

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

If you're using CSYNC and not composite video as the sync you need to make sure it has the right resistor for proper 75 ohm termination (unless your device is cool with TTL sync then all is well).

Many people take it lightly, but if you are sending TTL level voltage signals to your Shinybow and CRT you are definitely pushing both past its maximum factory specifications. You are shorting the lifespan of it if so, but by how much is anyones best guess.

Do you have a multimeter? You can easily test to see what component/pinout is in your cable.

http://retrorgb.com/csync.html

Here is a diagram of the pinout.

I don't think your AES 3-6 has Csync on the output, but composite video on both pins 3 and 7. With this in mind that cable may be using composite video as sync and running it through a lm1881 sync stripper to get CSYNC . In the description he has this

This cable use an new picture boosting technology to reduce checkerboards problems in the picture
    Kinda sounds like he amplifying the sync signal.

You really need to check your cable to verify as the output of sync strippers is definitely TTL unless attenuated.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 11-01-2017 at 10:18 PM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

New Challenger

Yes I have a multimeter, what test do you want me to perform?

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricard350 View Post
    Yes I have a multimeter, what test do you want me to perform?

The first course of action is finding out if you use Pin 3 or 7 for sync. AES versions up to 3-4 have CSYNC on pin 7, composite video on pin 3. 3-5 and 3-6 have composite video on both pin 7 and 3 linked iirc. If im wrong someone please correct me.

but your cable should just be using Composite Video as sync, not CSYNC if im reading the diagram right. If that is the case you don't need a resistor on the sync line. However if the person took that composite video and ran it through a sync stripper such as a lm1881 or a buffer circuit it should have the proper resistor on the output.

you could always ask the seller what pin he uses and what he puts in it as well. That retro access one looks pretty good, she makes good cables.

Best of luck fixing this. I would pm Xian Xi and ask him about this if you're still having troubles.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 11-01-2017 at 10:17 PM.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

New Challenger

Will I be looking at the same number/value as the video presented?

Thread Information