Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
on the Neo?

Pick only 1

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I'm split between '94 and '95, but I gave my vote to '94 for the sake of nostalgia. These are the installments I played the most of in the arcades, way back when. I absolutely loved '95s CD soundtrack. I'd listen to it all the time. But, I also love '94s stages. That 3D wall in Pao Pao Cafe, doves in London, parting trees in the jungle, gate in China, wire fence in NY ... Nothing can beat my memories of those stage intros. It was such a small thing, but it blew me away.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Spoiler:
SEARCH.FUNCTION.
PW2gFnQ.gif
THIS.

P.S.: Why is the poll not public? YOU CHICKEN!?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
One KoF to rule them all, One KoF to find them,
One KoF to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them... '98.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i picked 97 because it's bean my favourite for a while now. but i may be pulling towards 02 as time goes on.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
i picked 97 because it's bean my favourite for a while now. but i may be pulling towards 02 as time goes on.

Same-ish. I voted for 02 but was split between that and 97.

Edit: I've been playing XI on Atomiswave the most lately, though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Same-ish. I voted for 02 but was split between that and 97.

Edit: I've been playing XI on Atomiswave the most lately, though.

if they could only widely release xi i would also play it more often. ps2 is the only access i have to xi.

selfReg

n00b
TOO EASY. '98.

they got '98 UM, '02 UM, and XIII on the Nesica cabinets at my local Round 1. I go there pretty much weekly. It's amazing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
people always seem to be split between 98, and 95. can't really go wrong with any years in between there as well. 97 is great if you actually want to feel like you're in a tournament.

My vote goes to 98.

'97

Spoiler:
SEARCH.FUNCTION.

We have been talking about the same shit since 2002 or whenever, earlier if you count before the neo forums. So I think it's all been done before.

There comes a time when a man gets bored, and tired of reading 10 year old threads, thus, he asks the same questions again seeking human neo geo related interaction.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
There comes a time when a man gets bored, and tired of reading 10 year old threads, thus, he asks the same questions again seeking human neo geo related interaction.
Then there comes a point - a moment - in life when your mind outlives its desires, its obsessions, when your habits survive your dreams, and when your losses... Maybe death is a gift.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
they got '98 UM, '02 UM, and XIII on the Nesica cabinets at my local Round 1. I go there pretty much weekly. It's amazing.

If you ended that statement with and I play people on it all the time it would have been worth a fuck you. Spending $.50 (probably more) to play something I play at home isn't as impressive.

I picked '96. If I'm honest I really didn't start to love '98 till '98UM. It never had the one player spectacle that '96 gave you. Plus by the time '98 was out hardly anybody want to play it in the Chicago area. I had better luck with '02 honestly because by then the fighting games being produced slowed down.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Am I the only one who voted based on first impressions associated with the series rather than on refined mechanics in later installments? It's not that I can't see the advantages of refinements and how these make the gameplay more enjoyable, but I have to admit, I often focus on visual appeal and cohesiveness. This is exactly why SF III New Generation is my favorite, instead of 3rd Strike. In later installments, KoF turned to pre-rendered elements and toned down color palette.

As far as the visual appeal goes, '96 and '97 did not impress me, but '99 brought it back in a major way. I'd like to say I might change my mind about this in 10 years, when I've had enough of '94 and '95, but I can't see that happening, since New Generation never stopped being the number one SFIII for me.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
'97

Spoiler:
SEARCH.FUNCTION.

This guy eh?

The search function didn't produce any relevant results besides the spike thread...I stopped after 3 pages of results.

people always seem to be split between 98, and 95. can't really go wrong with any years in between there as well. 97 is great if you actually want to feel like you're in a tournament.

My vote goes to 98.

We have been talking about the same shit since 2002 or whenever, earlier if you count before the neo forums. So I think it's all been done before.

Oh I know it's all been talked about before, but there are always new people or old people who've played different ones over time.

I'm not sure exactly why but I keep popping '00 in more than any other KoF. I'll admit I suck at fighters and probably don't even scratch the surface on the depth of them either, but '00 is just one I can pick up and have fun with.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

This guy eh?

The search function didn't produce any relevant results besides the spike thread...I stopped after 3 pages of results.

;)

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
How come Mutation Nation isn't on here?

Isn't that a beat-em-up?

selfReg

n00b
If you ended that statement with and I play people on it all the time it would have been worth a fuck you. Spending $.50 (probably more) to play something I play at home isn't as impressive.

I picked '96. If I'm honest I really didn't start to love '98 till '98UM. It never had the one player spectacle that '96 gave you. Plus by the time '98 was out hardly anybody want to play it in the Chicago area. I had better luck with '02 honestly because by then the fighting games being produced slowed down.

like most arcades these days, sure it isn't a bustling competitive scene other than for the latest available, in this case Tekken, but I do roll through with my circle of KoF friends and there are some strong players outside of us that will show up now and again. Can't complain. Any local match is better than Steam.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm not sure exactly why but I keep popping '00 in more than any other KoF. I'll admit I suck at fighters and probably don't even scratch the surface on the depth of them either, but '00 is just one I can pick up and have fun with.

I do the same, but folks around here are snob enough not to join in. It's very accessible: easy to pull out desperation moves, tons of unbalanced charas and very detailed, grim visuals contrasting with some of the funniest of the series. 2k is a serious attempt to abandon the integrity of the King of Fighters Tournament, so let's not forget our sense of humor.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I am the lone vote for 99. I don't know why it's my favourite, but it's the one I go back to more than any other.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I still love '96 above all others. Probably nostalgia has a lot to do with it, but I love the soundtrack/graphics/locations/story and, of course, character roster. Boss team FTW.
97 & 98 would come after.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
It was split between 97 and 98. I feel 97 was the begining of a better generation of fighter but 98 refined. The series did get better as time progressed.

'98.