Votes: 3 6.0%
  • '03

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I am the lone vote for 99. I don't know why it's my favourite, but it's the one I go back to more than any other.

it's that rain stage, mate :lolz:. although 99 is my least favourite out of the series, there's a lot of things i like about it such as the stages, terry and andy, krizalid is an awesome boss and great to play with, and the last stage has a akira vibe to it.

Hakeshu

n00b
Well, that's a though one. But let's try to rank at leas a few.

1 - KoF 98 - Gameplay wise close to perfection. To this day it stays at the few game were every (or almost every) character has competitive play.
2 - KoF 94 / Kof 96 - Split decision. Both 94 and 96 had a big impact on me. KoF 94 for innovations and KoF 96 for game mechanics redraw and great story. (plus Geese)
3 - KoF 99 - It's the only KoF above 98 that I can stand. Good gameplay, good cast. Not a masterpiece, but did a great job.

Honor mention would go for KoF 97 for the Orochi saga conclusion. But the game is so freaking broken that don't deserve a place in top 3.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Am I the only one who voted based on first impressions associated with the series rather than on refined mechanics in later installments? It's not that I can't see the advantages of refinements and how these make the gameplay more enjoyable, but I have to admit, I often focus on visual appeal and cohesiveness. This is exactly why SF III New Generation is my favorite, instead of 3rd Strike. In later installments, KoF turned to pre-rendered elements and toned down color palette.

As far as the visual appeal goes, '96 and '97 did not impress me, but '99 brought it back in a major way. I'd like to say I might change my mind about this in 10 years, when I've had enough of '94 and '95, but I can't see that happening, since New Generation never stopped being the number one SFIII for me.

Actually I picked '96 because of visual presentation, story, and 1st impression. Going back and playing it now it's a little clunky compared to '98 or '02.

I played '96 when it 1st came out. Don't take this as an insult, but you strike me as playing KOF later down the road since '96 & '97 were not impressive. Back in the day they were pretty amazing, but if you look at later 2d releases I can see why people wouldn't be impressed.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I am the lone vote for 99. I don't know why it's my favourite, but it's the one I go back to more than any other.
You're not alone. '99 was the game that got me to look up neo geo auctions on ebay in late 1999. I ended up winning an auction for a console and the rest is history. I'm not good at playing fighting games but I still enjoy playing '99 and sometimes intentionally losing a round so that I can marvel at the backyard and T-Rex backgrounds. Also always loved the logo and the cover art.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Well, that's a though one. But let's try to rank at leas a few.

1 - KoF 98 - Gameplay wise close to perfection. To this day it stays at the few game were every (or almost every) character has competitive play.
2 - KoF 94 / Kof 96 - Split decision. Both 94 and 96 had a big impact on me. KoF 94 for innovations and KoF 96 for game mechanics redraw and great story. (plus Geese)
3 - KoF 99 - It's the only KoF above 98 that I can stand. Good gameplay, good cast. Not a masterpiece, but did a great job.

Honor mention would go for KoF 97 for the Orochi saga conclusion. But the game is so freaking broken that don't deserve a place in top 3.

97 is broken?. explain how.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
'97 had lots of infinites. Terry Bogard rising tackle in the corner was one I remember.

Im with you for nostalgia, I remember clearly when I saw the number of fighters when I tried kof94 at the arcade, I was flabbergasted 😮, then I realized that it was available on my neo aes....bimboum.....mic/jaw/balls, etc dropping to the floor.

I'm split between '94 and '95, but I gave my vote to '94 for the sake of nostalgia. These are the installments I played the most of in the arcades, way back when. I absolutely loved '95s CD soundtrack. I'd listen to it all the time. But, I also love '94s stages. That 3D wall in Pao Pao Cafe, doves in London, parting trees in the jungle, gate in China, wire fence in NY ... Nothing can beat my memories of those stage intros. It was such a small thing, but it blew me away.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
96 is my favorite, 98 is the better game.

2001 should get more play/mention here, it's actually deeper than it's given credit for.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
that makes the game broken?

In some people's eyes yes. Me personally, no. Games were just that way back then. Each game was rushed out with less then a year for development/debugging. Most people who say that don't even understand how "broken" most Capcom titles are.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
I was just playing KoF '94 on MVS. I was the Art of Fighting facing up against the Korea team. Chang had Robert in his strangulation move and I was taking a beating so I was button mashing to try to get out of it. Then, Ryo jumped out of the background and attacked Chang who released the hold.

I've had the game for years and played it quite a bit but I've never seen this happen. has anyone else seen this?

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
It's gotta be '98. My favorite team is Athena, Lucky & Yuri or Terry.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
'97 had lots of infinites. Terry Bogard rising tackle in the corner was one I remember.

It doesn't have to be in the corner. You whiff-cancel his crouching A's into B power charges.

You can also whiff-cancel Robert's crouching A after his kick dance to make his ranbu combo.

I want to say Kyo can cancel his crouching A's in qcf kicks for a juggle infinite but I've never been able to do it.

I like 97

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I was just playing KoF '94 on MVS. I was the Art of Fighting facing up against the Korea team. Chang had Robert in his strangulation move and I was taking a beating so I was button mashing to try to get out of it. Then, Ryo jumped out of the background and attacked Chang who released the hold.

I've had the game for years and played it quite a bit but I've never seen this happen. has anyone else seen this?

yeah, iv'e seen it plenty of times. don't know how it's done though. i think it may be automatic.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
yeah, iv'e seen it plenty of times. don't know how it's done though. i think it may be automatic.

Sup bogard! Hit A+B+C when you are dizzied (your teammates must be visible in the background).

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Sup bogard! Hit A+B+C when you are dizzied (your teammates must be visible in the background).

hey bn. that's cool man, didn't know that. always presumed it was something the game did automatically. never seen it on move lists.

one question. can it be done in every kof game?.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I really like 2000, although 98 was the first one I ever played and 96 is also fucking great in my book. 2000 for me had the closure of SNK around it, I remember all the rubbish that went on with dumping the ROM and really that's how I first played it via emulator. At the time it was out of reach for me to play it any other way ;)

It's the only MVS cartridge I have other than the NeoSD, It's one of the first with the NGPC board like MS3.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
hey bn. that's cool man, didn't know that. always presumed it was something the game did automatically. never seen it on move lists.

one question. can it be done in every kof game?.

It definitely works in all the kof's prior to the introduction of the striker system: 94-98
Though the criteria stayed the same (visible teammates, at least one teammate not in KO status), the input for dizzy/grab escape team assists was eventually changed to A+B+C+D as the series went on.