Is it worth starting a C64 collection?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Yeah. This was definitely meant as a parody thread, but I'm actually supposed to be getting a C64 here pretty soon, so the thread turned out to be rather helpful. Win-win.

I haven't got the time or motivation to read every thread so I no longer know what's parody. Now, stfu and listen to me. Flip that old piece of shit for a madz profit.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Turning parodies into real threads is one of my specialities.

Or was that turning parodies into tragedies? Hm...

I could add some more tragedy if you want.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Turning parodies into real threads is one of my specialities.

Or was that turning parodies into tragedies? Hm...

I could add some more tragedy if you want.

I don't think a C64 thread deserves that but I would hope you would move this thread into unrelated since we have actual serious answers.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's not worth getting into if you aren't familiar with C64. It's the same with the ZX spectrum.
There's still a lot of interest in the C64 community, and new games are still coming out. This was my real first computer, but even I don't keep my C128 hooked up.

That SID chip is still a beast tho

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some games on those old micros are still very playable, you can get loads of fun out of them if you can look past certain shortcomings.

I could post a list + comments of some of my faves if anyone cares.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Is there a DEFINITIVE list of US releases?

There was a 2-pack release my dad got, but I can't think of the names of either of the games - One was a sidescroller set in some kind of laboratory, each screen had 2 "floors" a la Pitfall. the second game was a vert shooter.

I've scoured lemon64 but cant find either one.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Is there a DEFINITIVE list of US releases?

There was a 2-pack release my dad got, but I can't think of the names of either of the games - One was a sidescroller set in some kind of laboratory, each screen had 2 "floors" a la Pitfall. the second game was a vert shooter.

I've scoured lemon64 but cant find either one.

It's not a list or something but you can find info on NTSC-fixed games here: http://csdb.dk/ . Enter the name of a game in the search field and look for NTSC fixes in the results, then download the appropriate rom.

EDIT:

The description of the games you're looking for is a bit vague, maybe you remember some more details?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It's not a list or something but you can find info on NTSC-fixed games here: http://csdb.dk/ . Enter the name of a game in the search field and look for NTSC fixes in the results, then download the appropriate rom.

EDIT:

The description of the games you're looking for is a bit vague, maybe you remember some more details?

I can remember that the side-scroller had a player character that was blonde with a blue outfit. I know at least early on in the game the background was like a stone wall, and you had to navigate over spike pits and floor gaps.

From what I can remember about the plot, it revolved around a mad scientist capturing you or someone else and you had to make your way through this old castle/laboratory.

Thats unfortunately about as specific as i can be right now.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Played a lot of jumpman jr, moon patrol, and sea fox as a kid

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Some links that may be useful:

Project 64 Games Dox - Game manuals/instructions

The Def Guide To Zzap!64 - Scans of all Zzap!64 magazine issues with lotsa reviews and game tips

Lemon64 - A well-known site dedicated to the C64. You can find loadsa game comments from yours truly in there... :)

Vice - Home of the best C64 emu around

CCS64 - Another great C64 emu

...and here's a nice YT documentary on the legendary system wars C64 vs. Spectrum, just to get you in tune:

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
The C64 must be one of the few platforms where it pays to be from PAL territory, as NTSC-compatible/fixed releases are far and few between.

In regards to hardware, if you're just getting into the platform, or your old model has broken down, but the chips are still salvageable, I'd have a gander at the C64 Reloaded Mk2. It's a modern C64 motherboard replacement with dual SID support, better output connections and improved power efficiency. The best part is that it should work with both PAL and NTSC chips, so you could pick up an old C64 from a car boot sale harvest the chips, plant them in the new motherboard, and stick the motherboard in the original case.

If you're not averse to FPGA-based implementations, the other modern alternative would be the upcoming C64 Ultimate, which offers an HDMI output and an integrated 1541 Ultimate floppy emulator/SD reader cartridge.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The c=64 was a way of life back in the eighties!! It was the internet before the internet...
BB

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
...and here's a nice YT documentary on the legendary system wars C64 vs. Spectrum, just to get you in tune:

My favoutite gaming youtuber tak, kim does great vid's.
Much as i loved my speccy the C64 was a beast compared to it, got mine for xmas 1984 maybe 85 and there was no going back.
Switched to the amiga in 88 and that kept me away from consoles untill about 1990 when i finally gave in and got a megadrive.
I also had a BBC B at one point and that was an unbelievable games machine as well for the time, elite, chuckie egg, galaga, great asteroids port are a few i remember.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My favoutite gaming youtuber tak, kim does great vid's.
Much as i loved my speccy the C64 was a beast compared to it, got mine for xmas 1984 maybe 85 and there was no going back.
Switched to the amiga in 88 and that kept me away from consoles untill about 1990 when i finally gave in and got a megadrive.
I also had a BBC B at one point and that was an unbelievable games machine as well for the time, elite, chuckie egg, galaga, great asteroids port are a few i remember.

Yeah, subscribed to his/her channel quite a while ago, specially the documentary vids have really high production value and are very well researched.

I got a C64 in '84 and bought a used rubber-key 48k Speccy a year later. The previous owner got bored with it, the PSU also was broken. He sold it to me for 50 Deutschmarks (about 10 Pounds at that time) together with a dozen games. Sure, the Commie had the benefit of proper pixel-by-pixel hardware scrolling, an enhanced instruction set, a more effective use of memory and of course the glorious SID but the Z80 CPU of the Speccy was faster which makes some games more agile and responsive, specially if you compare games that came out on both platforms.

I'm in a really intense Speccy phase at the moment and switch on my +2 whenever I have a bit of free time, now that I also have a SD cart (DivMMC Future), loading and playing games has become more convenient. I don't mind loading games from tape, tho, most games are quite short anyway and generally load faster than their C64 tape counterparts.

If I had to decide between the two systems I'd probably chose the Commie as it's a bit closer to my heart than the Speccy. However, I wouldn't want to miss Sir Clive's (or Baron Sugar's, in my case) little computer, there are many brilliant games on it and many of them are still a blast to play. There still are 50+ new Speccy games coming out every month, the scene is very active, specially in Spain. 35 years and counting, not bad for a rotten old personal computer, eh.

Always wanted a Beep or Master but couldn't afford it back in the day and still can't, used prices for B's and Masters in good condition went through the roof a few years ago. It was one of the best 8bit computers ever made, very powerful and easy to expand. Elite came to life on it and that's reason enough to hold it in high regard but it also got tons of other cool games.

cat

Manic miner, jet set willy and the monty games were outstanding back in the day, so, so many great games on both micro's.
The games were cheap as chips as well tenner for new releases and about 2 quid for the budget titles.
Speccy did wire frame type games really well but struggled with scrolling and colour bleed, the speccy port of r-type is a coding masterclass considering the limitations of the system, 48K of memory to play with, laughable nowaday's.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, the average icon on your phone is about that size (48k). Back then this was enough to put a whole world of gameplay into it, funny how times changed.

cat

The SID tunes win the battle for me tak, the C64 had the games and the music to go with them.
Armalyte and uridium were 2 class 8 bit shooters i played the shit out of and they could not have been done justice on the speccy.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've had a C64 since I was a kid, but have always been curious about the Spectrum. Living in the States doesn't make it easy to try. I might have to jump on the Spectrum Next tho. That's looking pretty impressive.