Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has youtube gone to shit.

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.

Has youtube gone to shit.

Or is it just me.

I find it funny that no matter what I watch on there, it seems to have no basis on what their system decides choose as selected videos to try and get me to watch.

They are trying so hard to push their Red program so hard that it makes me ill and angry every time I see a reference to it.

I can type in something to search and will get a the top results won't have anything to do with what I am looking for. What I was after will be way down the list, buried under countless suggestions that I would assume make them more money than what I am looking to watch.

I hope something comes up as a better alternative in the not too distant future. I keep thinking maybe someday I'll make some videos, but the more time I spend with youtube the less I want to have anything to do with it.

I find it funny that in the past I got a lot of suggested videos that were things I was interested in. I'm still interested in those topics, but don't get suggestions for them. It's almost all nothing I want anything to do with, countless vemo videos, news feeds, red suggestions, and live streams.

I've been working my way away from Google for the most part as it is. I need to find something better than gmail while I'm at it.

Mentioned in an email the other day that I didn't own a tie. I've never searched for one online or made any other reference to on up to that point, and sure enough, I get spam and targeted adverts for ties.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
    I use YouTube quite a bit and it seems about the same to me. I'm noticing more videos shut down over copyright infringement than in the past, but that's probably just because I've been watching more tv shows than music videos lately. Most of the suggested videos links I get are relevant to what I'm currently watching, although there's occasionally something weird tossed in there too.

Gmail is pretty good to me too, I definitely get a lot less spam there than I do at my Hotmail and Yahoo! email accounts.
    "I realized when I became a reformed alcoholic that, hey, I'm still the same asshole, I just have fewer dents in my car."
    - Robin Williams

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    This guy is making YT great again:
    >

Mature's Make-Up Artist
    Nothing is ever "free" in the case for services whether it be email, social media, video streaming, etc. If you're not paying, its because you are the product.

I agree, youtube is seriously turning to shit, but its not just google. Its the people too. People arnt making videos anymore because they enjoy it, they do it to make money. Which is why they tell you to "Like, Subscribe, and Comment below" in every video.
    Last edited by Niko; 10-30-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Crawley's Sergeant
    I haven't noticed a drop in search quality. You mention the first several results being unrelated to your search. This is probably because one of the ways you can target ads is with keyword searches. So if I'm selling luxury-level consolized Neo-Geo 64s, and if I'm a pretty bad search engine marketer, I'm going to cast a pretty wide net and show my ad to anyone who searches for "neo" or "geo" or "64". So if someone looks up a clip for the Matrix, they might see my ad. If they want a review of a 1986 Geo car, they might see my video. If they look up a savant playing through Mario 64 in 2.5 minutes, they might see my video. I think YouTube holds the first 2 or 3 top results for paid searches, and there may be a few slots for placements. (Pretty similar to most other ad-driven Google products).

Also / unrelated to the above, I feel like YouTube doesn't really want people searching around to find the next video. They want people to either binge on a channel or on a playlist. This is actually how I tend to watch YouTube. I pick a channel and watch that for 20 or 30 minutes. Either that or I'll just watch all the new videos from the channels I'm subscribed to.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Nothing is ever "free" in the case for services whether it be email, social media, video streaming, etc. If you're not paying, its because you are the product.

I agree, youtube is seriously turning to shit, but its not just google. Its the people too. People arnt making videos anymore because they enjoy it, they do it to make money. Which is why they tell you to "Like, Subscribe, and Comment below" in every video.
    This

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    Every time I want to watch something on youtube there's always someone who cant stop talking, I mean the video is called Best Explosions of 2017 and here's 10mins of bullshit channel self promotion. Get to the goods damnit!

For the tunes lovers!

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

best video on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Is there no moderation, anywhere on this entire site?

Not Average Joe.
    Not Average Homeowner.
    Not Average At All.
    I would watch that, but I'm afraid I'll get a bunch of world star hip hop videos or something else totally unrelated filling up my page next time I go to youtube.

King's Bartender
    Am Heimcomputer sitz' ich hier... programmier' die Zukunft mir...
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    That guy has half a million subscribers? Fuck it, I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmjr25 View Post
    No more posts. Jibs wins internet for May 31.

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar
    we're not trying hard enough
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Is there no moderation, anywhere on this entire site?

King's Bartender
    Am Heimcomputer sitz' ich hier... programmier' die Zukunft mir...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shroom View Post
    We need to combine forces. Like Voltron.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmjr25 View Post
    No more posts. Jibs wins internet for May 31.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    Few people are on his level.
    >

Crazed MVS Addict

best video on youtube
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What a wonderful waste of time that was for me and the person that made such a machine!

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    Seriously. 10 seconds in I wanted to punch him in the face...I was also seriously disappointed by the lack of negative comments telling him to go and kill himself. What has the world come too?

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Seriously. 10 seconds in I wanted to punch him in the face...I was also seriously disappointed by the lack of negative comments telling him to go and kill himself. What has the world come too?
    I spent way more time watching his videos over the weekend than I care to admit. At first it was, "lulz look at this autistic fagit" but he's just doing his videos and clearly doesn't give a fuck if people like him or not.
    >

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    but he's just doing his videos and clearly doesn't give a fuck if people like him or not.
    So, that makes him likeable?

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.
    Its always been shit. Quality content takes the back seat to reaction videos,reviewing stuff or low effort shit.

I think another big paradigm shift was the introduction of patreon. For every one person who uses it right, I have seen countless others abuse it and release less content than before. Additionally, their content quality also suffers imo as well.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

Most youtube stars get there because of 10 year olds. There are some pages with millions of views because the video has buttons on it and babies just press the tablet's screen. So, contrary to that South Park episode about pewdiepie, we're not wrong - it's the children who are wrong.

NEST Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    So, that makes him likeable?
    Confirmed - MM likes autistic fagits
    Spice god of Borneo...

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by FAT$TACKS View Post
    I can type in something to search and will get a the top results won't have anything to do with what I am looking for.
    Here look, it says: "Did you mean black cocks?"

Another Striker
    I spent way more time watching his videos over the weekend than I care to admit. At first it was, "lulz look at this autistic fagit" but he's just doing his videos and clearly doesn't give a fuck if people like him or not.
    Clearly. Where does he get his clothes, anyway? Or when, rather. Early 90s, looks like. This just goes to show people on the internet will watch anything. The only thing you need to succeed is persistence. Looks like he's been at it for a while. I tried to reach his first videos, but gave up after scrolling down to things from 3 years ago. Hit count on his stuff seems arbitrary somtimes. Half a million on something, 15K on the next one, not breaking 10K before or after for a while. Some aren't even up in 1K. YouTube suggestes one of his videos in which he looks really young, and from a Harry Potter movie, so yeah, he's been at it for ages.

There's a ton of this crap on YouTube. Things that come and go. I remember there was this girl who did nothing more than stare into the camera for a couple of minutes, and she was "a YouTube sensation", went to Japan, because they love that shit over there, made a whole career based on this retarded idea.

As far as YouTube fame goes, I feel you can do pretty much any stupid thing, but do it enough times, and it will become "a thing". Suggestions for succeeding on YouTube with long running video series:

- Use different hot sauces on your armpits.
    - Boxing videos, as in the opposite of unboxing. You put shit back into boxes.
    - Whip your dick out in random public places. In case things go south, do daily vlogs from jail.

As for YouTube going to shit, I'm more annoyed with their applications. They're all about making money, I get it, but I don't want videos playing continuously. Especially videos I don't give a shit about. Also, I don't want to create playlists while playing random videos via Chromecast. I also have to remember to have adblock installed on everything that can run a form of adblock. I don't care for commercials in overlays when the video is not played on full screen. Not to mention the clickable areas people put in their videos. Basically, everything is getting cluttered.

B. Jenet's Firstmate
    For listening to music YT is fantastic. I don't bother with all the other shit. For everything else I guess it has.

I love the fast food vampire

What a long, strange trip it's been. And still we roll down this baffling road, missing those who have left us. Daisuke Jigen, Sifl, SNK4EVER, Nightmare_Tony, Boog, Zero Satori. Gone but not forgotten.

Likes Football.
    Lives in teh USA.
    Go Figure.
    I think you're a try-hard
    Take a bite out of crime.

Thread Information