Damn Scalers

pva

Mega Shock!!
People need to start posting TV input lag results just as much as scaler results so people could buy the right combo. I'm not ready to replace my 50inch Samsung just so I could play retro games on it but maybe some people will.

I'm not yet ready to part with my 2013 Panasonic plasma either, but from what I've read, the TCL 43S405 is supposed to have really low lag and to be highly compatible with the OSSC. Sadly, I haven't found any retailers that carry it here on the Old Continent.

I've found HDTVtest's input lag database (they have a rigorous measurement approach) and VGP's OSSC TV compatibility thread to be great resources for researching options for replacing my current display, should it give up the ghost or should I get bitten by the 4K upgrade bug.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
PC mode is by far the best on Samsungs, at least ones without HDR. You do that by renaming the input, of all things. Then you don't need to worry about much else.

pva

Mega Shock!!
Honestly, I'm leaning towards OSSC and have been for a while, but people say that compatibility with TVs is a gamble, which doesn't sound good at all. Plus, OSSC has issues of its own.

I own both a FM and an OSSC. I bought the FM first, because the OSSC was unavailable at the time (the availability has improved notably since). While the PQ on the FM can be fantastic when using FBX's integer scaling profiles (thanks, FBX!), I find the higher lag quite jarring compared to the OSSC. The only reason I haven't sold off the FM is that the OSSC doesn't do S-Video, which I still need for my C64.

Yes, the OSSC has it's shortcomings, but unlike the FM, the firmware is still in active development (the last release was yesterday), and bugs are being fixed and new features are being introduced. The FM, in contrast, is going out of production this year, and Micomsoft hasn't announced a successor yet.

pva

Mega Shock!!
Also, the OSSC's developer is a fellow Finn, so there's that, too.

zLtnRyV.jpg

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Also, the OSSC's developer is a fellow Finn, so there's that, too.

Yksi! Kaksi! Perkele!

That's the extent of my Finnish. Well ... maybe plus a handful of other random words, like maito [it's good for your bones!], or rauta [thanks, K-Rauta], or koira [much better than a cat, because cats are retarded].

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Really? I tried changing to different settings on my TV and the one that has the brighter picture clearer picture is dynamic. All the other Pre-Sets the picture looks dim. I think it's Dynamic that I have it set to but I could be wrong. I know it's the bright colorful one. I know if I put it on Game Mode I lose a ton of clarity.

Yep. Dynamic just bangs up the contrast, backlight, colours and post processing to ridiculous levels. Brighter isn't always better and this mode will give a very unnatural blue tint to everything. I'd recommend cinema or warm. It's been that way for every TV I've had. Trying checking AV forums for the recommended setting for your model. It only takes a couple of minutes and your eyes will thank you. It's the first thing I do whenever I get a new TV.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yep. Dynamic just bangs up the contrast, backlight, colours and post processing to ridiculous levels. Brighter isn't always better and this mode will give a very unnatural blue tint to everything. I'd recommend cinema or warm. It's been that way for every TV I've had. Trying checking AV forums for the recommended setting for your model. It only takes a couple of minutes and your eyes will thank you. It's the first thing I do whenever I get a new TV.

Yea, I like bright. I like contrast, I like high backlight, hate dim.

I don't like seeing that shade of white on my blacks from cranking up the brightness. But I like the black to be black and the whites to pop. Same for the colors. I prefer the cooler blue over the warm as I tried the warm and didn't like it.

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Yea, I like bright. I like contrast, I like high backlight, hate dim.

I don't like seeing that shade of white on my blacks from cranking up the brightness. But I like the black to be black and the whites to pop. Same for the colors. I prefer the cooler blue over the warm as I tried the warm and didn't like it.

Fair enough!

Here's some detail by the aforementioned AV nazis on the very subject: https://www.avforums.com/threads/warning-do-not-use-your-tv-in-dynamic-vivid-mode.876997/

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Right now, I hate that no one wants my damn scaler! :keke:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I know;)

This is where the slow traffic shows. Most of my single item threads last an hour or so in the past.

A lot of us seem to be posting/interacting with new members so we'll reap what we're sowing. :)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
My Candy 18 has a piece of tinted plexi over the screen and that makes a difference. Still using the old GBS with a SLG-3000.

Yksi! Kaksi! Perkele!
Kolme (picked that up when my cousin was talking to his son) and to me it sounds as if you've been watching The Dudesons.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I know;)

This is where the slow traffic shows. Most of my single item threads last an hour or so in the past.

A lot of us seem to be posting/interacting with new members so we'll reap what we're sowing. :)

If it was the HDMI version I would have jumped on it instantly. Surprised it hasn't moved just the same.

On topic, I've been using a 2012-ish LG as my main gaming TV due to a built in sound bar and 4 HDMI ports. I'm using one of the $40 RGB SCART-HDMI converters and it does the job for what I want. I do want a high quality upscaled, as the clarity effect and lag is jarring in 32 and 64 bit games such as PS1, Saturn, and N64. I just want an effective and high quality all-in-one for everything RGB .

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If it was the HDMI version I would have jumped on it instantly. Surprised it hasn't moved just the same.

On topic, I've been using a 2012-ish LG as my main gaming TV due to a built in sound bar and 4 HDMI ports. I'm using one of the $40 RGB SCART-HDMI converters and it does the job for what I want. I do want a high quality upscaled, as the clarity effect and lag is jarring in 32 and 64 bit games such as PS1, Saturn, and N64. I just want an effective and high quality all-in-one for everything RGB .

Dvi to HDMI adapters are pretty cheap on Amazon. That's all you need for the ossc.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ah, i thought that only pushed video and not sound. You love and learn

I'm not sure but I think it only pushes video. You have to run separate audio wires for sound.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'm not sure but I think it only pushes video. You have to run separate audio wires for sound.

I believe this is correct but for my application it'll be fine since I'll run the video to the projector and audio to the receiver.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I believe this is correct but for my application it'll be fine since I'll run the video to the projector and audio to the receiver.

Yeah the way my setup is currently, an all-in-one solution is best due to space. I'll wait around for an HDMI one to pop up ubtil then.