Gamestop's going to start a rental program

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
DM's yes.

Shit always rolls downhill in that place, so if the DM catches shit then he passes that on to the SM's, which pass it on to the staff, and then NO ONE wants to be there because they're all miserable.

Yyyyyup. Firsthand experience. I also love their strategy of "Oh, you didn't meet your sales goals? OK, we'll take man-hours away from your store's allotment next week. How is that supposed to help you meet your sales goals? You figure it out!"

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Gamestop/EB Games has a long history of diving into these programs without laying the groundwork first to properly implement them.

They actually test marketed the same thing over the summer in my area. My old store manager tried sort of half-heartedly to get me to sign up for it, but like I told him, I don't wanna feel like I'm only getting my money's worth if I return everything I buy. He admitted it was a dumb program and that hardly anyone did it.

It'll get tiny, tiny numbers of users. It doesn't really cost GS anything to keep it around though, so they'll do it until January or whenever and then forget about it.

It's a stupid program, for sure.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I kind of feel this is marketed at a volume of parents.

They can buy little Billybob, a game for $60 and then he gets tired of it in a week, or they can just spend that same money and get this game pass deal. The Gamestop is right by the local Walmart where his mom shops every week, so it's easy to let Billybob go and trade out his game every week, and in the end he gets to keep a game.

People with preteen kids I think will be the ones who would buy into this. A different game every week to keep them shut up and in their room for the weekend and out of mom's hair. Maybe grandma will buy them the game pass for their birthday or Christmas.

Also, I think it may be a thing for lower income brackets. Not trying to knock them there, just that the kid that only gets a game or such for his birthday or Christmas, may rather ask for this because he can keep riding his bike over to the shop and swapping games out all the time.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The store managers and especially the DMs are full-on assholes.

Last time I was in a Gamestop, the guys behind the counter were hitting on teenage girls, and then talking shit about them after they left.

Stay classy, Gamestop.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Also, I think it may be a thing for lower income brackets. Not trying to knock them there, just that the kid that only gets a game or such for his birthday or Christmas, may rather ask for this because he can keep riding his bike over to the shop and swapping games out all the time.

There's no knock for that. Renting was made for lower income people.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I don't know how this rental thing will work out for them, and I'm not going to use it, but I wish them luck all the same. I sure don't want them to go out of business, as GameStop is where I get 95% of the video games that I buy and it has been for many years.

@M

20 Year Member
Because they have a huge selection of games and many of them are dirt cheap compared to Amazon, eBay, and other e-retailers. They also ship fast, even for the standard rate. GameStop's customer service tends to be poor and they sometimes fuck up and send me the wrong merchandise (five times this year alone), but, I keep coming back anyway (I should note that I mostly buy from their online store, not my local brick-and-mortar GameStop).

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Because they have a huge selection of games and many of them are dirt cheap compared to Amazon, eBay, and other e-retailers. They also ship fast, even for the standard rate. GameStop's customer service tends to be poor and they sometimes fuck up and send me the wrong merchandise (five times this year alone), but, I keep coming back anyway (I should note that I mostly buy from their online store, not my local brick-and-mortar GameStop).

Ah, that makes more sense. I guess I haven't explored their online store much. I did notice that they have retro games in stock, but they're not significantly cheaper than my local store. (Plus my local store has a trade credit system that rocks.)

@M

20 Year Member
I've only purchased GBA cartridges from their retro classics assortment thus far and I haven't run into any problems with any of those yet (all the battery saves still worked for example). You only get the cartridge and not the box or manual (they just come in ziploc bags), but I never expected otherwise.

The web site frequently has special sales too (buy 2-get-1-free, Four $5 games for $10, etc.), that usually only run for a few days at a time, so it pays to check in frequently, or subscribe to their weekly e-mail sales flyer.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Ah, that makes more sense. I guess I haven't explored their online store much. I did notice that they have retro games in stock, but they're not significantly cheaper than my local store. (Plus my local store has a trade credit system that rocks.)

It's a bit easy to build credit at GS if you know where the cracks are, but it does take time and effort.

My local mom & pop also gives good trade credit. $40 for a disc only, scratched (but not awful) Contra Legacy of War for the Saturn.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
This will hurt or more than help them. They are basically sabotaging their own higher margin customers (preown). This is the beginning of the end of GS.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Meh. I'd rather just check out games from my local library. At least I wouldn't have to pay $60 every 6 months to do so.

Last edited:

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I see more used games being "new opened" or whatever they call that sham in the future.

This was my first thought, too. My second thought being that it seems gs isn't doing so well right now, and that this may take care of itself.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Copy and Paste from my Facebook

I was working on this long form piece detailing the new GameStop Power Pass program and how it's really not as glorious as it sounds. Here's just a few things I wanted to touch on that get glossed over....

This is indeed a last desperate bid at relevancy and to push their Power Up Rewards program. Oh you didn't know you HAVE to be a Power Up Rewards member? Meaning you have to buy in initially at $15 or $30 (ELITE), then pay $60 for the rental program, then you have to pay for the initial game rental, which is the full used price of the game. And for the games that people will want to rent, that's going to be another $50. So about $140 for 6 months access to game rentals. Yeah you get to keep the last game you "rent", but you PAID for it, so therefore its not a rental.

This program may be doomed because for there to be USED games to "rent" then there have to be USED games coming in. As in its a self sacrificial model. They make their money SELLING used games. But if people are renting the used games, they make NOTHING. Also if people are just waiting for the good games to cycle to used, there won't be any available stock. Take for instance a title like Call of Duty WWII, which releases this weekend. The game will sell a bunch of new copies, but it will take awhile before it starts being seen used in any volume to have copies to rent out. So unless GameStop makes a bold move and shifts a percentage of new copies they receive into used on release, what you'll end up with as your selection is a bunch of previous year's titles sitting on shelves.

Next, let's talk condition. We have all had that friend that simply just does not know how to take care of their games. Scratched disks, damaged data, cracked rings. So I ask, what do you think this means for the used games at GameStop? It's bad enough trying to get a decent complete copy of a game when it has had maybe 2 users, it's about to be much worse now when games can theoretically go to unlimited users before you are then asked to still pay full used price, which is a ripoff. And we can't expect GameStop to give a damn about how their games come in any more than they already do, which isn't very much.

Speaking of pricing though, the last thing that gets super glossed over is that the game you rent or exchange for has to be of equal or LESSER value. So don't expect to start your rental tab with a $20 game then expect to exchange it for that new hot $50 game. Nope, they were smart enough to see through that loophole and tied a knot in it. This is an issue though because GameStop has a nasty habit of having their prices fluctuate based on purchasing trends and not a title's age. So using Call of Duty as an example again, with there being so many new copies that will be in circulation, the game will depreciate quickly, meaning its used value will be low, which circles all the way back to what I was saying earlier.

For a company who's lifeblood is selling used games, they sure seem poised to push more people into either buying new or even worse, making digital sound more and more appealing.
I could keep going, but honestly people are going to do what they want and no amount of data or fact hunting will convince someone who is dead set on thinking one way to think otherwise. But my track record for nailing these things cant be glossed over.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Yeah, I didn't know much about it to begin with so I was trying to maybe see the logic in where it would be a good deal. In this case though I don't see any way this would work out to be good for a customer. I know they are trying to make money, but if a customer doesn't at least feel like they are getting a good deal, even if they aren't, then I don't see it being able to work out for them beyond the short term where they get a bunch of new sign ups that don't understand yet how the program works.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah, I didn't know much about it to begin with so I was trying to maybe see the logic in where it would be a good deal. In this case though I don't see any way this would work out to be good for a customer. I know they are trying to make money, but if a customer doesn't at least feel like they are getting a good deal, even if they aren't, then I don't see it being able to work out for them beyond the short term where they get a bunch of new sign ups that don't understand yet how the program works.

Yup. Anything where the salesperson has to be like "OK, so first you do this and you owe us this... And then you do this and you sort of owe us thing depending on this and this... And finally, you do this and owe us this."... That's when most people will say no thanks.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
So the program is actually even worst than it sounds. Fail.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Sounds like they are grasping at straws at this point.....

Doesn't that rental service Gamefly still exist?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Copy and Paste from my Facebook

I was working on this long form piece detailing the new GameStop Power Pass program and how it's really not as glorious as it sounds. Here's just a few things I wanted to touch on that get glossed over....

This is indeed a last desperate bid at relevancy and to push their Power Up Rewards program. Oh you didn't know you HAVE to be a Power Up Rewards member? Meaning you have to buy in initially at $15 or $30 (ELITE), then pay $60 for the rental program, then you have to pay for the initial game rental, which is the full used price of the game. And for the games that people will want to rent, that's going to be another $50. So about $140 for 6 months access to game rentals. Yeah you get to keep the last game you "rent", but you PAID for it, so therefore its not a rental.

This program may be doomed because for there to be USED games to "rent" then there have to be USED games coming in. As in its a self sacrificial model. They make their money SELLING used games. But if people are renting the used games, they make NOTHING. Also if people are just waiting for the good games to cycle to used, there won't be any available stock. Take for instance a title like Call of Duty WWII, which releases this weekend. The game will sell a bunch of new copies, but it will take awhile before it starts being seen used in any volume to have copies to rent out. So unless GameStop makes a bold move and shifts a percentage of new copies they receive into used on release, what you'll end up with as your selection is a bunch of previous year's titles sitting on shelves.

Next, let's talk condition. We have all had that friend that simply just does not know how to take care of their games. Scratched disks, damaged data, cracked rings. So I ask, what do you think this means for the used games at GameStop? It's bad enough trying to get a decent complete copy of a game when it has had maybe 2 users, it's about to be much worse now when games can theoretically go to unlimited users before you are then asked to still pay full used price, which is a ripoff. And we can't expect GameStop to give a damn about how their games come in any more than they already do, which isn't very much.

Speaking of pricing though, the last thing that gets super glossed over is that the game you rent or exchange for has to be of equal or LESSER value. So don't expect to start your rental tab with a $20 game then expect to exchange it for that new hot $50 game. Nope, they were smart enough to see through that loophole and tied a knot in it. This is an issue though because GameStop has a nasty habit of having their prices fluctuate based on purchasing trends and not a title's age. So using Call of Duty as an example again, with there being so many new copies that will be in circulation, the game will depreciate quickly, meaning its used value will be low, which circles all the way back to what I was saying earlier.

For a company who's lifeblood is selling used games, they sure seem poised to push more people into either buying new or even worse, making digital sound more and more appealing.
I could keep going, but honestly people are going to do what they want and no amount of data or fact hunting will convince someone who is dead set on thinking one way to think otherwise. But my track record for nailing these things cant be glossed over.
People only get to have one out at a time, so they're not losing money.

Basically all the program really is is extending the exchange period on used games by a lot, but without a moneyback option.

It's not going to move the needle in any way, shape, or form.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you are purchasing downloads, you are already in a rental program.

Fuck rentals. Fuck downloads.