Neo Geo CDZ - dual speed or not?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Ok, can someone catagorically confirm whether the CDZ is factory fitted with a dual speed CD-ROM drive or not?

For years I believed the CDZ was faster because SNK improved the hardware over the earlier models (RAM cache) but still didn't fit a proper dual speed CD-ROM due to cost factors.

Some contemporary magazine reports seem to confirm that SNK never fitted the dual speed CD-ROM, and I'm sure there was a discussion on here, years ago, that confirmed that the CDZ's better "loading times" were due to improvement in processing, not the CD-ROM.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Single speed with extra cache.

It's easier to market "2 times the speed" than "single speed with extra cache" though.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Single speed with extra cache.

It's easier to market "2 times the speed" than "single speed with extra cache" though.

Thank you! :D

Indeedy, I can see why people jumped to the conclusion that it was a dual speed drive, and it was one of the things the format was crying out for, especially when PlayStation and Saturn were using dual speed CD-ROM.

The thing that got me questioning myself, was the new Visual History book - in the very brief section that covers the Neo-Geo CD it says the CDZ was introduced with a dual speed CD-ROM... and I was like "noooooooo" :loco:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Last edited: