Thread: Neo Geo CDZ - dual speed or not?

Old Man

icon15.gif Neo Geo CDZ - dual speed or not?

Ok, can someone catagorically confirm whether the CDZ is factory fitted with a dual speed CD-ROM drive or not?

For years I believed the CDZ was faster because SNK improved the hardware over the earlier models (RAM cache) but still didn't fit a proper dual speed CD-ROM due to cost factors.

Some contemporary magazine reports seem to confirm that SNK never fitted the dual speed CD-ROM, and I'm sure there was a discussion on here, years ago, that confirmed that the CDZ's better "loading times" were due to improvement in processing, not the CD-ROM.
    Bonuskun - "Please young man. You telling me to shut up on an internet forum is about going to have the same effect of trying to tell Tarma that Metal Slug 4 was the best Neo Game ever.

Not going to happen."

Argentina'94 - "Gotta admit, that was the best coffee and cigarette I ever enjoyed with someone who wasn't in front of me. We MUST do this again!"

Peanutbutterjammatime

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

Single speed with extra cache.

It's easier to market "2 times the speed" than "single speed with extra cache" though.

Old Man

icon15.gif

Quote Originally Posted by CORY View Post
    Single speed with extra cache.

It's easier to market "2 times the speed" than "single speed with extra cache" though.
    Thank you!

Indeedy, I can see why people jumped to the conclusion that it was a dual speed drive, and it was one of the things the format was crying out for, especially when PlayStation and Saturn were using dual speed CD-ROM.

The thing that got me questioning myself, was the new Visual History book - in the very brief section that covers the Neo-Geo CD it says the CDZ was introduced with a dual speed CD-ROM... and I was like "noooooooo"
    Bonuskun - "Please young man. You telling me to shut up on an internet forum is about going to have the same effect of trying to tell Tarma that Metal Slug 4 was the best Neo Game ever.

Not going to happen."

Argentina'94 - "Gotta admit, that was the best coffee and cigarette I ever enjoyed with someone who wasn't in front of me. We MUST do this again!"

Peanutbutterjammatime

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!
    They call me Hell. They call me stacey. They call me her. They call me Jane. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my name. ☭

For the record Japanese SNK documents state that the drive is a "Double Speed CD-ROM". I am also confident in saying that the CDZ drive spins faster than a regular top loader. I'll put something together this week, lets see if we can put this debate to rest once and for all.

Update
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...-Let-s-Discuss
    Last edited by NeoTurfMasta; 11-06-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Thread Information